Fordmods Logo

2x 4ohm subs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: 2x 4ohm subs
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

hey guys, just wondering, if i were to wire up 2 4ohm subs, that will present a 2ohm load to the amp right? the amp is a monoblock and does 250wrms at 4ohm or 500wrms at 2 ohm, even if i wire up these 2 subs. will it still only get a 250wrms each.. cheers

Ford EBII XR6 1992
Blue
Lowered with fully adjustable KONI suspension
3.45 LSD
5 speed Rebuilt gearbox
Fully rebuilt engine
12" velocity sub
Blupunkt 750watt mono bloc

Nissan Patrol 96 diesel
5inch lift
35inch Mickey T MTZ 12.5"
White
Front arb locker
Dual batterys
Big stereo

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

If they're wired in paralell, it will present a 2 ohm load, which, will give 250wrms to each sub (500wrms total)

Post subject: Re: 2x 4ohm subs
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: XA Falcon / EA Falcon

VIC, Australia

Brad92XR6 wrote:
hey guys, just wondering, if i were to wire up 2 4ohm subs, that will present a 2ohm load to the amp right? the amp is a monoblock and does 250wrms at 4ohm or 500wrms at 2 ohm, even if i wire up these 2 subs. will it still only get a 250wrms each.. cheers

The other answer is spot on
Attachment:
PARALLEL.jpg
PARALLEL.jpg [ 7.95 KiB | Viewed 1249 times ]

All amps rms output should match the rms of the speaker they will be driving or at least over by
25 %
Example
SUB 500 RMS @ 4 0hm = AMP 500 RMS 4 0hm
2 SUBS 500 RMS 4 0hm =1000 RMS @ 2 ohm = AMP 1000 RMS @ 2 ohm
you need to make sure the subs are the same type and wattage MUST MATCH

With SUBS you need to take into Account that your sub box can change the WATTAGE of you speaker as a sealed box with a sub 100w = 100w but the 100w sub in a ported box could need 200w depending on port size and box Litres

Parrot
22 years in car audio instalation
http://www.rlsnell.20m.com
http://www.autowreck.com.au
http://z3.invisionfree.com/APV/index.php?
http://www.youtube.com/user/parrotscaraudio

Last edited by parrotscaraudio on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Yup as above and the higher the level of resistance you can supply the max level of power the better for the longetivity of your amp/woofers...

Eg: 1000w RMS at 4ohm will be safer for your gear than say 1000W RMS @ 0.5ohms. Increased resistance (ohms) does mean increased efficiency as more power can be delivered however also means increased heat the enemy of amplifiers. Same for the woofer as increased resistance at the amplifier means the less control over the woofers cone excursion. Which can become dangerous to your woofer or will effect the sound of the woofer - becomes sloppy resulting in notes not sounding as tight or punchy

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:37 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Yup as above and the higher the level of resistance you can supply the max level of power the better for the longetivity of your amp/woofers...

Eg: 1000w RMS at 4ohm will be safer for your gear than say 1000W RMS @ 0.5ohms. Increased resistance (ohms) does mean increased efficiency as more power can be delivered however also means increased heat the enemy of amplifiers. Same for the woofer as increased resistance at the amplifier means the less control over the woofers cone excursion. Which can become dangerous to your woofer or will effect the sound of the woofer - becomes sloppy resulting in notes not sounding as tight or punchy

Great answer nice to see that some people know what they are talking about not like on yahoo answers

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

parrotscaraudio wrote:
All amps rms output should match the rms of the speaker they will be driving or at least over by
25 %
Example

Hey don't mean to take it to off topic but i see you mention that, just when i went to autobarn jb etc. looking at amps for my speakers, they kept offering me amps with maybe 50x4 rms etc. Despite the speakers fronts bout 70rms or something and rears think about 120rms

Is this not so true for the speakers as it is for the subs, or were they fare full of s**t saying it doesn't really need to be, and I'm guilty of still running them off the head unit, just a little unsure where I'm going with it now. :?

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
parrotscaraudio wrote:
25 %
Example

Hey don't mean to take it to off topic but i see you mention that, just when i went to autobarn jb etc. looking at amps for my speakers, they kept offering me amps with maybe 50x4 rms etc. Despite the speakers fronts bout 70rms or something and rears think about 120rms

Is this not so true for the speakers as it is for the subs, or were they fare full of s**t saying it doesn't really need to be, and I'm guilty of still running them off the head unit, just a little unsure where I'm going with it now. :?

The shops will push to you stock that has not sold and tell you any old crap to make a sale then you go home blow up some thing just to find out there is no waranty on what you bought
yes it DOES MATTER RMS is RMS it must match for best performance
I refuse to tell s**t to customers just to make a sale. rather help you get the best for your Money There are alot of shops who speak porkies just to rip you off EVEN if your a MATE as One shop here in Victoria. JB is s**t Strathfield is a rip off Auto Bahn Just over priced

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Yep, any of the big chain stores suck. I won't go into any of the dodgey s**t mates have bought and been like "yeah and I got a huge discount too!" apart from my personal favourite when a guy at JB Hifi sold a 1000W max (but only 200rms @ 2ohms @ 14.4v) Boss amp to run a 12in alpine type x sub (which had been bought second hand) to one of my mates...I didn't know which one to slap for being so stupid.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
Yep, any of the big chain stores suck. I won't go into any of the dodgey s**t mates have bought and been like "yeah and I got a huge discount too!" apart from my personal favourite when a guy at JB Hifi sold a 1000W max (but only 200rms @ 2ohms @ 14.4v) Boss amp to run a 12in alpine type x sub (which had been bought second hand) to one of my mates...I didn't know which one to slap for being so stupid.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE
IT HAPPENS TO MUCH

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE
IT HAPPENS TO MUCH
Strathfield BOSS and American BOSS are two totaly Diff Products. I was a Dealer of American Boss before Strathfield ripped of the Product Now they have given it a s**t name and American Boss Decided Many years ago not to let Strathfield Have the product so they pulled out of Australia and let Strathfield go as they Are GOING BROKE any way.

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Yep, was one of the "boss audio" jobbies...the thing died after like 6 months too, not surprising considering how high the gain was on it. Was lucky he didn't damage the sub while he was at it.

Off topic: I think I need to stay out of this forum area, I'm starting to get addicted and wanting to plan another install for my new car!!! arrggghhh

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]