Fordmods Logo

3-way speaker setup in EF/ELs?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: 3-way speaker setup in EF/ELs??
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Can you fit a 3way setup into a EF/EL front without much hassle? The most I wanna do is get some door pods made up.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

simply put yes is possible...and has been done....as to without much hassle...comes down to how u define hassle :P ...

Pyray had a fully active 3 way setup in his only his midbass drivers were in fabricated moulds on the kick panels...you can go 3way in the one unit but seperate is far more effective.... real 3 way aint cheap

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeh I was looking at a set of 3 way hertz speakers for around $400 but dont wanna stuff around too much with them. So you would just make up some kick panels for the midbass drivers and mount the speakers in the door and the tweeters up near the dash I suppose?

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

MooseMan wrote:
yeh I was looking at a set of 3 way hertz speakers for around $400 but dont wanna stuff around too much with them. So you would just make up some kick panels for the midbass drivers and mount the speakers in the door and the tweeters up near the dash I suppose?

Yeh just depends on the effort you wanna go too. The least amount of effort is onna be to have a kick panel or lower door mould made up to house the midbass driver...then speaker and tweetr in factory locations...

To get the most out of it tho try n keep everything close together...an a-pillar mould for the tweeter or mounting it on the door would be far more effective as distancing items too far will mess with get the best out of your staging

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

I had 3 ways in my El, 10's in the doors 5's and 1's in the kick panels, worked really well.
Doors are good for midbass as there is some air space in there to work with, in my experience short of major work midbass doesn't work too well in the kickpanels due to very little room in there......

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

what r 3ways sorry

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

3-ways are speaker setups that have two large midbass drivers that are usually around 8" (think of it as a small sub) and midranges (think thats what its called) speakers around 5" and then small tweeters around 1" the end result is better sound from your system because each range is catered for individually instead of one driver trying to do a whole range.

Dont quote me on any of that though im no expert.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

MooseMan wrote:
3-ways are speaker setups that have two large midbass drivers that are usually around 8" (think of it as a small sub) and midranges (think thats what its called) speakers around 5" and then small tweeters around 1" the end result is better sound from your system because each range is catered for individually instead of one driver trying to do a whole range.

Dont quote me on any of that though im no expert.

Yeh...a 3way speaker has the 3 individual drivers all together in a single unit...the Tweeter, Midrange and Midbass driver...

To be 4 way it would be Tweet, Midrange, Midbass and Sub....

This way you can individually tune and power individual drivers for specific frequency ranges to create more accurate staging etc...

More appropriate in SQL setups as fancy speakers wont do u much good in SPL competition :) but are great for everyday listening too.

Having a 3 way setup would involve like your tweeter, seperate midrange driver say a 5 1/4",6"or 6.5" door speaker with a kick panel mounted or door pod mounted 7 or 8" midbass driver....close to a sub they are the happy medium in frequency range production between the midrange driver and a subwoofer.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

Is there any specific reason that you want 3 way system instead of a 2 way system?

As you say a 3 way system is more complex to fit and will not nesassarily sound any better than a good 2 way system.

If you really want a 3 way system you should be able to fit the tweeters in the factory location on the dash, the midrange drivers can be located in the factory location in the doors and the midbass driver can be fitted in fabricated pods where the map pockets are normally located at the bottom of the doors.

95 EF XR6 Manual
Pioneer, Oz Audio, Butler, Image Dynamics, Audison
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2006
MEASQ - Vic Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Expert Class 2008
MEASQ - Aust Champion Advanced Class 2011 (Shared)

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sierra wrote:
Is there any specific reason that you want 3 way system instead of a 2 way system?

As you say a 3 way system is more complex to fit and will not nesassarily sound any better than a good 2 way system.

If you really want a 3 way system you should be able to fit the tweeters in the factory location on the dash, the midrange drivers can be located in the factory location in the doors and the midbass driver can be fitted in fabricated pods where the map pockets are normally located at the bottom of the doors.

Well good 3 way systems will sound better ... just one of those money factors and then down to how u have it setup and tuned etc etc..

Good 3 way setup could easilysound worse than a 2 way if the tuning etc is horrible

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Well good 3 way systems will sound better ... just one of those money factors and then down to how u have it setup and tuned etc etc..

Good 3 way setup could easilysound worse than a 2 way if the tuning etc is horrible

Mooseman's original question was if it was possible to fit 3 ways without too much hassle.
So if you are looking for less hassle, then why not consider 2 ways as they can be fitted to the standard locations with very good results.
All depends on what you are after.

95 EF XR6 Manual
Pioneer, Oz Audio, Butler, Image Dynamics, Audison
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2006
MEASQ - Vic Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Expert Class 2008
MEASQ - Aust Champion Advanced Class 2011 (Shared)

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sierra wrote:
Big Kev wrote:

Mooseman's original question was if it was possible to fit 3 ways without too much hassle.
So if you are looking for less hassle, then why not consider 2 ways as they can be fitted to the standard locations with very good results.
All depends on what you are after.

yep and fair enough hed also said the most hed do is door pods...so i was only factoring that in as id go mappocket pods for the midbass drivers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]