Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 4" question
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: XR6 XH Ute

VIC, Australia

hi guys

just picked up four pioneer 4inch kevlar 2-ways(ts-e1076) for my xh ute.

i'm not a stereo expert but basically i want to run them of my 200watt freebie boss amp. I had four clarion four inch's hooked up in this manner and they couldn't handle it. for example my head unit goes to 37 they didn't make it past 22 without it sounding like two bits of plastic being smacked together. they were $50 speakers though

basically i just want to make sure this will work fine and not kill the speakers or give the same result.

any comments are welcome, i know i'm probably being paranoid but not an expert and better to be safe than sorry

cheers
ben

Post subject: Re: 4" question
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

XH XR6 wrote:
my head unit goes to 37 they didn't make it past 22 without it sounding like two bits of plastic being smacked together.

just drop the levels on the amp - it was probably overpowering the speakers!

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

4" speakers aren't generally going to handle alot of power. They are usually used in conjuction with bigger speakers to run the higher frequencies.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

As said above the speakers were most likely distorting due to be over powered.

If the amp has a gain adjustment you may want to reduce this.

Simple guide when tuning your headunit in is to leave all the amp settings on their default/factory settings. Then ramp up the head unit volume to MAX or when the speakers begin to distort. Then very gradually raise the gain adjustment in increments on the amp upping the head unit volume as you go until the distortion occurs again.

Without worrying about specific frequency setups, band-pass filters and equaliser settings this is a simple guide to get the most from any speaker/amp/hu combo without risking overpowering your gear or under powering them and not getting your moneys worth.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I've found upgrading to 6" or 6.5" in the doors to be definately worth the work.
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51222 .
An option maybe ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Post subject: Re: 4" question
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

XH XR6 wrote:
hi guys

just picked up four pioneer 4inch kevlar 2-ways(ts-e1076) for my xh ute.

i'm not a stereo expert but basically i want to run them of my 200watt freebie boss amp. I had four clarion four inch's hooked up in this manner and they couldn't handle it. for example my head unit goes to 37 they didn't make it past 22 without it sounding like two bits of plastic being smacked together. they were $50 speakers though

basically i just want to make sure this will work fine and not kill the speakers or give the same result.

any comments are welcome, i know i'm probably being paranoid but not an expert and better to be safe than sorry

cheers
ben

The 37 versus 22 setting really means nothing at all as the older units may have been relatively inefficient and the newer ones maybe more efficient and that would mean they may be putting out more volume than the old ones.
Without an accurate measurement (not annecdotal, they sound louder to me) you will never know as the average person cannot accurately compare a current system to a previous one.....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]