Fordmods Logo

4ch amp cutting out! and another problem... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 4ch amp cutting out! and another problem...
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2005 Hi-Ace

VIC, Australia

got a problem with my pioneer 4ch GM6100 amp.

for some reason when the car is running it will cut out when i turn the headunit volume to about 30 however with the car off and just accessories running through it i can have it to 35 and it wont cut out once. is this a fault with the amp and not liking the extra voltage or is it my altenator? need sugestions.

also one more thing what makes front splits all of a sudden sound muffled? they used to be clear with nice treble now they sound horrible. i need suggestions....car audio is not my forte :P

2005 Toyota Hi-Ace aka ICE CUBE

Post subject: Re: 4ch amp cutting out! and another problem...
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

John_xr6 wrote:
got a problem with my pioneer 4ch GM6100 amp.

for some reason when the car is running it will cut out when i turn the headunit volume to about 30 however with the car off and just accessories running through it i can have it to 35 and it wont cut out once. is this a fault with the amp and not liking the extra voltage or is it my altenator? need sugestions.

also one more thing what makes front splits all of a sudden sound muffled? they used to be clear with nice treble now they sound horrible. i need suggestions....car audio is not my forte :P

what do these units go up to .. is 35 max volume ? ... if ya normal listening is 30/35 and thats max then thats why the speakers are muffled...but yeh will wait for ya reply

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

my loud listening volume used to be 10 :P then i turned the gains way down made it sound alot better. 40 is maximum h/u volume. i had trouble with the muffledness when i turned the gains down so 25 was loud. it was all fine then all of a sudden while i had it loud it lost its clarity. i changed the amp and its doing the same thing. rear is still clear though.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

John_xr6 wrote:
my loud listening volume used to be 10 :P then i turned the gains way down made it sound alot better. 40 is maximum h/u volume. i had trouble with the muffledness when i turned the gains down so 25 was loud. it was all fine then all of a sudden while i had it loud it lost its clarity. i changed the amp and its doing the same thing. rear is still clear though.

possibly at some stage then while u did used to pump it that the speakers have been damaged..the gains to those speakers may have been to high to start with. If u set ya amp back to default values and have the head unit also on defaults..with balance all the way to the front is it muffely...if so id say the speakers are damaged...or swap them to the rear amp channel and ya rears to the front channel...then balance to front do the old rears sound muffled or fine and same for the old fronts when they act as rears tilt balance to rear and see if they still muffle...could be worth running some new speaker wire to the front just cheap stuff from jbs might be the go...if u were driving them hard it could have not melted but heated the terminal and copper too much n doesnt have the contact it should with the copper.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

ok, ill try and give that a go. no ideas on the amp cutting out?

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

John_xr6 wrote:
ok, ill try and give that a go. no ideas on the amp cutting out?
well only that gains etc maybe too high or had been too high....and its over driving the amp....do u know if your amp has any shutdown protection...like thermal shutdown if it gets too hot, overload protection etc?

Where is the amont mounted and do u know what size cabling u have going to it....I take it being a 4 channel all you have is the rear speakers wired to 2 channels and the fronts speakers taking the remaining 2 channels...

its an oddball problem but its gotta be something...

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

for the muffled speakers to ... could see if it muffles with the amp disconnected (the RCA connection...maybe remote wire if ya wanted so the amp dont turn on) and connect the front splits up to the head unit...see if its also muffled there...

Bit of work for u but better to rule absouloutely everything out before ya go wasting money on components etc and find the issue remains.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:53 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

John, when ya say 'muffled' what do ya mean?
You get the amp fixed and its still cutting out?
We can try doing a swap with some of my s**t if ya want, I'm only using 2 channels atm anyway lol.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
John, when ya say 'muffled' what do ya mean?
You get the amp fixed and its still cutting out?
We can try doing a swap with some of my s**t if ya want, I'm only using 2 channels atm anyway lol.

yeh i think to rule the amp out hes gonna need to try a swap...altho wiring the speakers etc up howive said should find out whether its the amp causing it or the speakers damaged...as to the cutting out that ciould also be a few things..

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

jared- muffled as in i lost alot of treble so its not sounding very good.

i think the amp does have a protection circuit in it maybe its faulty? the amp barely even heats up. my subs cut out after long loud bass sessions but when i feel the amp it is hot so i know why that happens.

i am running 4 guage power wire to the amps the gain is turned way down, its below the "normal" mark on the amp. i did try another amp on it and it doesnt cut out so im guessing there is a problem with the amp itself. just found it unusual that it would only cut out with the car running but when car is just on accessories it wouldnt cut out at all.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:29 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

yeah thats f**k weird man, we'll try mine next time i see you, same amp pretty much :P
Lucky that you did COPY my system...
treble thing is weird, are your tweeters actually working?
Sure the connections haven't fallen out of the crossovers? :P

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

OK the whole treble thing is sorted...pulled the cover off and had a listen.. SFA sound coming out of the tweeters. plugged in my factory ones and they were heaps louder. i found another pair of pioneer tweeters i flogged from pick a part ages ago plugged them in and they worked fine too so i swapped them over and it now sounds decent again.

the amp cutting out must be an issue with the amp itself as i tried a different one and it was fine. ill have to get it looked at. s**t thing is its still under warrenty but i cant find the receipt!

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
yeah thats f**k weird man, we'll try mine next time i see you, same amp pretty much :P
Lucky that you did COPY my system...
treble thing is weird, are your tweeters actually working?
Sure the connections haven't fallen out of the crossovers? :P

yeh confirm all the cable connections but does sound like your amp...did u try any of the trouble shooting I said to rule out the amp causing the treble loss/muffled noise etc?

it could be but I wouldnt have though the extra current from the car being on from the alternator would effect the amp...but I dunno could be a capacitence problem within the amp not liking the exra insurge of current..

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

John_xr6 wrote:
OK the whole treble thing is sorted...pulled the cover off and had a listen.. SFA sound coming out of the tweeters. plugged in my factory ones and they were heaps louder. i found another pair of pioneer tweeters i flogged from pick a part ages ago plugged them in and they worked fine too so i swapped them over and it now sounds decent again.

the amp cutting out must be an issue with the amp itself as i tried a different one and it was fine. ill have to get it looked at. s**t thing is its still under warrenty but i cant find the receipt!

heheh u posted at the same time....yeh well if swapping the amp fixes the prob then yeh id say ya amps stuffed...could have someone fix it or replace....could try it in Steady ED's setup if he's keen to 100% rule it out.

Nice with the tweeters...bet ya happy that parts resolved :)...

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

yeah man its depressing when your stereo sounds like s**t and you cant crank it :P

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next