6 dead woofers in 2 years 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: 6 dead woofers in 2 years
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

As stated above i have managed to destroy 6 woofers in a relatively short time. I am starting to believe it is the amplifier. I have a Jaycar response 2 x 150wrms amp which puts out 500wrms bridged. It is only about 2 years old.Everything has been installed properly, the amp is setup via multimeter to get the correct voltage but yet woofers keep dying. I have had a JBL GT5, JBL GTO, MTX ??, Fusion powerplant, JL W0 and a JL W3. They all last only a few months and pack it in. I dont pump the s**t out of them, just set it at a decent SQ and listen. They are all 12" and come with the recommended enclosures and are set at the recommended WRMS. I am stuck for ideas??

Post subject: Re: 6 dead woofers in 2 years
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TIAMO wrote:
As stated above i have managed to destroy 6 woofers in a relatively short time. I am starting to believe it is the amplifier. I have a Jaycar response 2 x 150wrms amp which puts out 500wrms bridged. It is only about 2 years old.Everything has been installed properly, the amp is setup via multimeter to get the correct voltage but yet woofers keep dying. I have had a JBL GT5, JBL GTO, MTX ??, Fusion powerplant, JL W0 and a JL W3. They all last only a few months and pack it in. I dont pump the s**t out of them, just set it at a decent SQ and listen. They are all 12" and come with the recommended enclosures and are set at the recommended WRMS. I am stuck for ideas??

...get the amplifier checked with one of those signal analyzer things...can't remember what the proper name is. Anyways it can tell you if the signal is getting clipped at low levels. If it is then it would be the amp.

Who tunes your subs and what are the power ratings of the subs?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Clipping at low DB is what i am thinking. I install everything myself and have it setup by a auto elec mate. His stereo is the s**t with just a Type R 12". The woofers are anywhere from 300wrms to 600wrms. I have tried different types. Obviously the 500's last a little longer but still no luck. Maybe time for a new W7 and amp. Just looking for answers befor $$

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TIAMO wrote:
Clipping at low DB is what i am thinking. I install everything myself and have it setup by a auto elec mate. His stereo is the s**t with just a Type R 12". The woofers are anywhere from 300wrms to 600wrms. I have tried different types. Obviously the 500's last a little longer but still no luck. Maybe time for a new W7 and amp. Just looking for answers befor $$

If you're mate is an auto elec, he should be able to diagnose if the signal clips at low GAIN levels...not dB. Also if you did have the 600WRMS plugged in but the amp was at it's max gain, you would have sent it a clipped signal.

Plug the amp to a Oscilloscope (finally remembered what it was called) and it can tell you if the signal is crap or not. Also, make sure the audio you use, is also of good quality.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Al I hear is DOOF DOOF DOOF! :lol: :lol: :lol:

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

the last woofer, the powerplant is rated at 500wrms, the amp was set with a test tne of 50hz, the voltage set to a tad over 34 volts. I have no other thoughts but maybe the amp is just ordinary. Looks like a W7 and amp to match is on the way.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

TIAMO wrote:

I'd stop going to your auto elec mate. If he's setting levels with a multimeter, he's doing it wrong*.

You'd probably be better off guessing the settings.

*problem with a multimeter instead of a oscilloscope, is multimeters aren't fast or sensitive enough, and worse still, most have poor AC measuring ability (sound waves are AC, not DC), making the task yet again more difficult and you can be ~40% out (depending how close or far from a true RMS reading the multi can provide).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

What's the gain on the amp set to.
Does the amp go into protection mode when you stunten'?
And what ohm are the subs wired to?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Lower frequencies and especially DC can kill woofers. It could be a problem with an amplifier but without a CRO it may be hard to tell.

As data mine, said, you can't just setup a sound system with a multimeter. For a decent tutorial, see this page: http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/article/tutorials/car_audio_system_setup/

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]