Fordmods Logo

6x9" speakers into 6" slots in rear of EL wagon 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

thanks for all the feedback guys, so to clarify it looks like what i need to do is put some good quality 6" to replace the factory ones and have a sub (which i was going to do anyway) to get some decent bass.

while we're still on the topic does anyone have any suggestions of what size speakers to put up the front.

and btw are there any particular brands of speakers/subs/amps etc. that people like? I'd love some feedback as i'm pretty new to the whole car audio scene. Keep in mind that although i am a musician that loves my tunes and wants good sound, i am also a full time student and therefore do not have unlimited funds.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

front speakers are 6" as well - same as rears.

personally i'd stay well away from sony x-plodes - i've had nothing but hassels with them :? what is your budget? personally, i'm running pioneer 'bullet' splits (i think thats what they're called!) up front - and they're great. nothing but good things to say about them - i have pioneers for rears as well - again, they sound great!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

Ok now then
I may need to post pictures of this.
What you do is remove the entire speaker mounts and make up some new ones with particle board. You need to cut out the metalwork too. Then screw it all down nice and tight so it won't rattle, the original plastic trim will fit back on and if you line them up right the sound will be awesome.
There is one drawback though.... The damn thing keeps bashing you on the head from the extra weight.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

uglybob wrote:
front speakers are 6" as well - same as rears.

personally i'd stay well away from sony x-plodes - i've had nothing but hassels with them :? what is your budget? personally, i'm running pioneer 'bullet' splits (i think thats what they're called!) up front - and they're great. nothing but good things to say about them - i have pioneers for rears as well - again, they sound great!

Well i'm going to accquire the parts over about a month to 6 weeks so i don't go completly broke but I had a figure of approx. 2 grand in my head. How does that sound? I want a 12" sub, speakers for front and rear, a cd player (doesn't have to be fancy) and obviously an amp to power the whole thing.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

maybe check out CarAudioAustralia.com, good reads there for newbies to car audio and can often pick up some quality second hand gear on there.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

i had a great setup for about the $1300 mark, until some of it got flogged :cry:

Alpine MP3 HU - 3 pre-outs, sub control etc (stolen)
MTX 2ch amp (stolen)
Crossfire 12" sub
Directed Audio 4ch amp
Pioneer front & rear speakers

so now need to replace HU & 2ch again :roll:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

cheers mate, it seems all is not lost then. I'll keep you posted of my progress and i'll even put up pics of my install if i get a chance.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I recommend Pioneer 6" speakers. Had them in my last car.. beautiful speakers. As for subs.. I got 2x12" pioneers and a 600W RMS mono channel amp for under $1000. All new... Just remember to shop around and you'll be well under budget.

Uglybob.. let me know when you've found those boxes so I grab them off ya... and there's nothing wrong with sony explodes when someone else gives you the money to buy them.. and then doesnt want the speakers or the money anymore *shrugs* free is good

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

adam - where are you in perth? i should be able to find them quickly enough tonight/tomorrow so you can pop up pretty soon if you're up this car (carine)?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I live nowhere near carine hahaha What's your email address so we can sort somethign out

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

if i were to put 6" in the back and another set of 6" or 6.5" splits in the kick panels up front along with the sub and the amp would that go alright? Or would it have the potential for the mid bass to overpower evereything else? opinions and ideas welcomed with open ears!

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

and another thing (sorry about posting so much but as i said i'm a newbie), i'm 99% sure my EF is series 1 but when i try to remove the stock radio there is only one screw on the left hand side which leads me to believe that infact it is not series 1 but series 2. Anyway the point is that even following the ef2 instructions i got from another fordmods.com thread which tell me to remove said left hand side screw then reach underneath and move a clip to the side, the thing won't budge cause i can't find the clip and there's definatley not two screws that i can see. If anyone else has had this problem, help is much appreciated.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2