Fordmods Logo

'96 XH ute radio query 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: '96 XH ute radio query
Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, can anyone tell me what type of radio is in the XH ute as standard equipment. Was it a radio cassette or radio and CD? I have removed the afterrmarket unit as it was rubbish and I tried a Clarion but it would not give a good clear sound. The aftermarket unit was a Sanyo and the sound was a lot louder then the Clarion when it was in.The Clarion is a radio/CD out of a 1999 Lancer. As such I am now looking for some info in regards to the type of unit that was standard as well as any information re other options to fit. Cheers, AU055

Post subject: Re: '96 XH ute radio query
Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

XH's will take any standard sized 1 DIN head unit which is the majority of stereos available at shops and what not. I've got a Pioneer 4 x 50w in my XHII v8s and is wired up to dash and door speakers.

No xh came with a CD player. Base models had a two speaker (dash) sound system whereas S packs and XR's got four speaker premium sound systems which had a head unit with a few more knobs and the extra two speakers in the doors. Its not worth putting a stock head unit it. How loud it is depends on what output the head unit is...most are 4 x 50. You could have wiring issues too. Do you have two or four speakers? If just two maybe put some good 6.5 inch speakers in the doors makes a huge difference.

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Many thanks for the info. I will persevere with the Sanyo and drop some good quality speakers into the doors. I know that the Sanyo worked really good as it was in my '62 Compact before I sold it. Cheers again.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

XHII V8S wrote:

No xh came with a CD player.

Mine came with factory 6 stacker under the passenger seat.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

^^^^ XHII's did come with that option.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Just an update guys, I hooked up the Clarion this afternoon bypassing the speaker wires in the loom by connecting separate speakers and I also ran the power off the cigarette lighter and hey presto, she works a treat. I'll connect every thing up properly on the weekend after getting some good quality speakers. I want to stick with the Clarion as it looks similar to the original radio. I am only doing this as some little dirt bag broke into the car about 3 weeks ago and tried to lift the other radio out. It was all shiny and glittery so they probably thought that it was worth something. It's a pity that they didn't get it as it is a peice of cr.p. It might have peed them off when they tried to use it. Many thanks for the help.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:11 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Why you'd want to pinch a low series Falcon stereo is a mystery ???

How'd they get in - slim jim, butchered the tibbe lock ???

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

No they tried to lift the aftermarket glitzy radio. Thats why I don't want any fancy looking unit in the car as I use it for everyday use and where I live there are a lot of low lifes being re-housed at the moment. They got into the car by using the small black handle on the outside of the door as I used to leave it unlocked in the locked garage. They broke into the garage by forcing the door. It's now alarmed as are the gates and security lights. I got some good news though, these scrotes were caught and charged and as fate has it, they also did a few other places around me on the same night and picked on the wrong person to hit. One of them was "spoken" to one night, (not me but another victim) when he was seen wandering around the area and he has since left town. His mates who normally hang around him have also disapeared. I'm happy, the neighbours are happy and even the coppers are happy as they can get back to Gloria Jeans and not worry about our ex neighbour.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

No they tried to lift the aftermarket glitzy radio. Thats why I don't want any fancy looking unit in the car as I use it for everyday use and where I live there are a lot of low lifes being re-housed at the moment. They got into the car by using the small black handle on the outside of the door as I used to leave it unlocked in the locked garage. They broke into the garage by forcing the door. It's now alarmed as are the gates and security lights. I got some good news though, these scrotes were caught and charged and as fate has it, they also did a few other places around me on the same night and picked on the wrong person to hit. One of them was "spoken" to one night, (not me but another victim) when he was seen wandering around the area and he has since left town. His mates who normally hang around him have also disapeared. I'm happy, the neighbours are happy and even the coppers are happy as they can get back to Gloria Jeans and not worry about our ex neighbour.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]