Fordmods Logo

Adding equalisers during the burning process!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Adding equalisers during the burning process!!
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hi all, back on FM MK1 i talked about making your music sound better by adding an equaliser effect before you burn your cds.

Now i dont know if everyone knows about it, but with NERO you can add an equaliser to the songs, much like having an equaliser in your car same effect just costs nothing. :) and well to a certain degree it sounds better.

Now for those people who spend lots on thier sound systems, are you aware that you can do this? Is this what you would call cheating or making something thats nothing into something thats greater without spending money. :)

Well ive only just been doing it, and well the difference is pretty crazy, depending how good you are at working out the decent effects using an equaliser the better it will sound.

Ive played a normal CD that you buy yeah okay it sounds good but getting it to sound BETTER but at a lesser volume is where doing this really pays off.

So basically what i want to know is what are peoples thoughts on this? Do you know about it? do you use it? (with or without success). Or do you think its a bad idea?

Please enlighten me! :D

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Post subject: Re: Adding equalisers during the burning process!!
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:36 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Now i dont know if everyone knows about it, but with NERO you can add an equaliser to the songs, much like having an equaliser in your car same effect just costs nothing. :) and well to a certain degree it sounds better.

Now for those people who spend lots on thier sound systems, are you aware that you can do this? Is this what you would call cheating or making something thats nothing into something thats greater without spending money. :)

Well ive only just been doing it, and well the difference is pretty crazy, depending how good you are at working out the decent effects using an equaliser the better it will sound.

Ive played a normal CD that you buy yeah okay it sounds good but getting it to sound BETTER but at a lesser volume is where doing this really pays off.

So basically what i want to know is what are peoples thoughts on this? Do you know about it? do you use it? (with or without success). Or do you think its a bad idea?

Yes - I knew about it
No - i have not used it

I prefer to use the extensive EQ'ing i have available in the car to change anything if i need.

If you change a recording onto CD then you do not have it in it's original form the way the artist intended it to sound.

Having said that if you wish to play with the EQ during burning there is nothing wrong with that. Are you basically talking about boosting the bass and stuff like that?

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:43 pm 

VIC, Australia

The other thing to be carefull of is if you boost any one frequency too much you may exceed the speakers ability to reproduce that, especially at the extreme high and low ends. Beware of anything lower than 40htz....

For every 3db increase in volume an amplifier has to work twice as hard t reproduce it

i cant get the picture to do what i want so i'll explain it in words.

If it's 3db louder at 100htz that takes doubble the power to reproduce. if it's another 3db l;ouder at 1,000htz then thattakes doubble the power again. So you are now talking 4 times the power to reproduce that frequency compared with the other frequencies.
U start to need amplifiers with plenty of headroom.

e.g. 200rms a side or more for front stage amps & 500rms + for sub amps....

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Last edited by pyroay on Thu May 26, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Yeah andrew, i'd say its a "means to an end"... i.e. the ability to adjust frequency response to suit your tastes...

Id say the only disadvantage of tinkering with the EQ in Nero prior to burning is the lack of flexibility. i.e. if you ramp up the bass/sub bass frequencies, it may sound great at a certain volume in the car but be too much if you up the volume or too little if you turn it down... which is where the option of tuning the EQ 'on the fly' becomes an obvious advantage...

Also want to be careful you dont clip the sound prior to buring...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah well, on some CD's that i burn the intention is just to boost the bass as sometimes the song quality is pretty bad... But most of the time i do it to increase the sound overall.

I listen to heavy music so i really like the bass guitar and electric guitar riffs etc.. i just try to make this a little bit more effective. And at the same time give a bit more of a effect to drums etc.. i make it bit more punchier so it doesnt sound like its doofing away...

I wonder thou, my system seems to handle it, well the sub, amp and rears but im a bit worried about the stockies lol! im surprise they handle it at all. :shock:

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah thanks for the replys, much appreciated! I do realize the side effects of doing this thou, as the EQ is always on and like you say it cant be disengaged at any time.

Okay this is about how much i would increase the bass just comparing- Okay playing the same song unedited for it to sound okay etc i would have it on volume 14 (CD player goes up to 22) so yeah nothing else has been increased etc.

Then once the cd has been edited to reach the same type of effect as it did b4 i only need it on volume 12.. At volume 10 its perfect which is about where i have it.

Also changing the frequencies it only works out to be an average of 2db im adding. 3.5db being the highest and -1.5 being the lowest in some cases..

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:03 pm 

VIC, Australia

Seems fine, if your happy with the result then you can keep doing it.

I personally prefer to do my EQ'ing in car but it depends on how much EQ'ing you have available to you.

I can control independant 31band left and right EQ from the headunit while i drive then store that in a user preset and change it for something else...

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

pyroay wrote:

I can control independant 31band left and right EQ from the headunit while i drive then store that in a user preset and change it for something else...

I only have basic EQ available via the clarion HU, but used to have a ridiculously tunable setup in my home theatre... I found that with so many variables, i was always adjusting the EQs chasing that 'perfect' sound... with independent 31band do you ever find that you cant stop EQing? lol

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:18 pm 

VIC, Australia

I spend a long time (hrs and hrs) initially setting up the car to get a smooth response.

Once that is done i store that setting for comps. Then i tune it by ear for daily driving. The i dont change it much.

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I mean im happy with the way it sounds, but obviously i do need more power lol, better amp, HU and speakers, im sure if that was all top quality stuff then i wouldnt need to do this but alas im making a best of a worse situation lol. :roll:

I do agree thou having an equaliser in your car that you can tune/retune on damand would be alot better. Thats kinda why i gotta find the right custom preset that suits all types of music i listen too. :)

I dont overkill the frequencies and i dont have it blaring so im doing the right thing thier. :)

Thanks for your input

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:58 pm 

VIC, Australia

I agree and dont expecteveryone to have full EQ capabilities. Your proposel sound like its working for you for the time being.

More power on your sub amp would probably give yuo some greater headroom to control the sub side of things. Maybe that would be the first good upgrade. Sub power is not that expensive now days...

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF Ute

VIC, Australia

i have to agree with pyro, i prefer to have the eq at my fingertips, i mean i adjust it alot depending on the mood im in and set it to how much bass i want on that particular day.

Explorers gone, bring on the ute.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah i definately need some more power going into that big ol sub of mine!! Might try to see if i can find a decent mono block with a bit of power behind it. Hmmm thinking hard now... :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]