Fordmods Logo

Advice on EL Fairmont audio install. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Advice on EL Fairmont audio install.
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

ACT, Australia

So I've decided to move my ad-hoc stereo from my Hilux into the 'Mont. It's an Alpine 9884e head deck, Pioneer GM-6200F (60Wx4 RMS) amp with Rockford FNX2614 6.5" splits up front and Pioneer 60W RMS 6" 2 ways in the back - I don't know how I've got this random a collection, it's just happened over the years!

I'm just wondering where people are installing their amps and running their wiring?

I was thinking of putting the amp in the boot next to the spare and building a false floor as I've seen on one vehicle here or whether it's a lot easy to just whack it under the passenger seat as I've seen done numerous times? Any tips on wiring locations for a boot install would be great!

After I've put a bit of coin into the engine and drive train, I'll be looking to upgrade to a Focal FPS 4.160 amp powering 165V30 splits front and rear with a 27V1 10" sub and will be keen to to have a nice looking install, so figure it's probably worth setting everything up in the right place now. What do you reckon, is it worth putting the amp in the boot? Or is the wiring a pain in the a***?

Also, any thoughts on where to put the cross overs? In my 'Lux they fitted under the stereo in the dash, the 'Mont doesn't have that much room. I was thinking the doors, but after pulling the trim off, I'm not that keen on cutting through the factory sound deadening. If it's relevant, I'll be putting the tweeters in the factory dash location and switching them back from -3 dB.

Thanks,
Dodgy

Dodgey EL Fairmont - stock as a rock | '03 Hilux, lifted and locked
My car photography on Flickr

Post subject: Re: Advice on EL Fairmont audio install.
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '96 EL Ford Fairmonth Ghia.

QLD, Australia

dodgey_EL wrote:
So I've decided to move my ad-hoc stereo from my Hilux into the 'Mont. It's an Alpine 9884e head deck, Pioneer GM-6200F (60Wx4 RMS) amp with Rockford FNX2614 6.5" splits up front and Pioneer 60W RMS 6" 2 ways in the back - I don't know how I've got this random a collection, it's just happened over the years!

I'm just wondering where people are installing their amps and running their wiring?

I was thinking of putting the amp in the boot next to the spare and building a false floor as I've seen on one vehicle here or whether it's a lot easy to just whack it under the passenger seat as I've seen done numerous times? Any tips on wiring locations for a boot install would be great!

After I've put a bit of coin into the engine and drive train, I'll be looking to upgrade to a Focal FPS 4.160 amp powering 165V30 splits front and rear with a 27V1 10" sub and will be keen to to have a nice looking install, so figure it's probably worth setting everything up in the right place now. What do you reckon, is it worth putting the amp in the boot? Or is the wiring a pain in the a***?

Also, any thoughts on where to put the cross overs? In my 'Lux they fitted under the stereo in the dash, the 'Mont doesn't have that much room. I was thinking the doors, but after pulling the trim off, I'm not that keen on cutting through the factory sound deadening. If it's relevant, I'll be putting the tweeters in the factory dash location and switching them back from -3 dB.

Thanks,
Dodgy

I always put the amp on the back seat in the boot and the splits into the front door trim. Some hammering required, but it works.

Post subject: Re: Advice on EL Fairmont audio install.
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I heard that you have to keep an amp 1 metre away from the headunit, so yea, the boot is fine mate. The factory amp location is on the right boot wall behind the lining, you could try mounting it the factory bracket maybe, or, as teknoslasher said bolt it onto the rear seats. That would be an easier, more logical option.

With the wiring, you would run them through the seat folds, under the rear seats and along the edge of the right side doors to the dash. With the +12v wire, you would do the same but on the other side. (im sure you already know that.)
Follow the wiring from the tail lights and that would give you an idea on where to go.

With crossovers, i didn't know where to put them, so i just placed them behind the ash tray under the radio. i don't know if this advisable though.

good luck mate.

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]