Fordmods Logo

Aftermarket subwoofer 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Aftermarket subwoofer
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA Falcon

QLD, Australia

OK, so i wan to put 2 subs in the boot, but i want to run them of the original sound system, how can i do this. someone please help!!

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket subwoofer
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

original sound system in what respect?

You already have a factory sub and amp?

If you don't have an amp you will need one... If you do it really wont be big enough...

If you already have the wiring in the boot for it you're home and hosed... If you don't you may require a high to low adaptor and a low pass filter to get the signal for the amp... Though I am unfamiliar how easily this can be added in to the BA, it may have the provisions already, if not yeah you will need something to drop speaker level to RCA level and then a low pass filter...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

yea i meant i dont want to avoid having to put a second head unit in... I just want to run the sub in the bad as an extension on the existing sound system, how do i go about doing that?

Thanks for the above reply!

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bwadleigh wrote:
OK, so i wan to put 2 subs in the boot, but i want to run them of the original sound system, how can i do this. someone please help!!

We're going to need more information on your original sound system...not sure about you, but we don't read minds.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 327 rwkw

WA, Australia

i'm not sure how they did it,
but took mine into a car audio shop and they fitted up a sub and amp for me without fitting a second head deck.
good luck with your car audio goals for 2011.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BA XT

VIC, Australia

Just do what i did.....You need an Hi/LO Audio Fillter...Im using this one ( http://www.aerpro.com/list.php?pcode=AP ... +&cat_sno=) All it does is convert Audio from a speaker line into an RCA output...Of course the RCA will then go to an AMP which you need. I spliced into the rear speaker leads as they are the easiest to get to. Once thats done all you need to do is hook up your AMP wiring and your off and away. If you need pics i could prolly take some and post em so you can see how easy it is, bear in mind i just installed an aftermarket head unit but im still using the filter for my sub so i dont have to run the RCA`s to the head unit (Lazy:) )

Update:- As Timmy A Said you will need an AMP and it will need to be rated to the performance that your subs need. Putting a 1200watt sub in and then hooking up a 500watt amp is going to overload your amp. They need to be able to love one another tsk tsk. If you dont want to install an amp your outa luck.

Install for AMP is easy. Can explain this if need be too

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

THATS SO MUCH dannyye, that was really really helpful.

yea pictures would be absolutely super and the help with the amp install if you don't mind. thanks for be so helpful!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

sorry for the lack of information.... i meant that i want to install a sub and amp but run the sound and stuff from the original headunit(if i didnt tell you, this is for a BA). Also, will i have to get a better battery if i get an amp....?

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Nah you don't really need to get a better battery but it you want to that's your choice, in saying that you should have a decent battery anyway....common sense prevails with subs and amps....if the cars not running and you have the tunes going your draining power from the battery as there is no charge coming from the alternator. In my EF i installed a toggle switch in the dash in between the signal lead...all it did was either turn on or off the signal wire to the amp. If there is no signal going to the AMP it wont turn on. Was just a fail safe for if i was doing some audio work or mechanical stuff i could run the headunit but the amp would not turn on, or if i was on a trip i could turn off the AMP to prevent long exposures to bass.

As for the pic`s..my cars in the shop tonight so i cant get the pics for you until the weekend mate.

Will post back once i have the photos

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

bwadleigh wrote:
THATS SO MUCH dannyye, that was really really helpful.

yea pictures would be absolutely super and the help with the amp install if you don't mind. thanks for be so helpful!!!

Im guessing you meant "THANKS SO MUCH"

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

hahaha yea that's what i mean

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

ok my mate has done this on his BA he did not want to change the to the premium sound or get a new deck so he ran RCA cable's from the rear 5x7s in the back into a amp with a lowpass filter and it sounds great still original deck just with a bit of bass

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

ooo dude that sounds exactly what I want to do!! Thanks... looks like I'm going to have to learn about amps and subs!

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

how do i run the RCA's from the rear speakers?

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF XR6T

NSW, Australia

get the high-low converter like Dannye said. you still need to get a fused +ve wire of the right gauge to suit the amplifier's current draw. you can earth it in the boot somewhere, and amps these days can use the input signal to switch it off and on instead of the +ve ignition/acc circuit.

i'm contemplating doing this to my car using the factory sub position, but its pretty low on the priority list right now. don't forget to get some dynamat or similar for the boot/parcel shelf.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next