Fordmods Logo

All New Custom Install in my Boot 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:03 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

Demo_efman wrote:
that is insane - but the install is pretty sweet - do they even run properly with one amp running them - i would have to have atleast 4 mono blocks running them then it would make some noise!!

See there is a flaw in your theory mate.. if i was to use 4 mono amps to run my 8 subs in theory it would be good.. but you see i am running 4 subs in one enclosure and the other 4 in another.. when you start using multiple amps running multiple subs in a common box you need some pretty damn sensitive (expensive) equipment to correctly tune the amps so they are putting out identical signals.. Much easier to use one single high powered amp to run each box of subs.. My amps are 1500wrms.. and 4 subs are 1200wrms worth of voice coils so ample power really..

Cheers,
Nik

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:03 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Double Post deleted..

Cheers,
Nik

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Ahh I see this car in the JayCar carpark practically every time I go to Uni. It looks mint mate, good work!!

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:20 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

That would be cos i work there.. managing the place.. LOL..

Cheers,
Nik

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

WIKWOK wrote:
Big Kev wrote:
your kiddin one 1500w (this RMS or peak) running 8 woofers ???? BE incredibly underpowered...but yeh second will certainly assist...well install so far looks good mate

stage 4 ICE hehe drugs wont help dude :P .....all up sounds like a nice master plan be good to see it all finito

4 batts is i spose fair enough but with only a small number of amps you wont need to go that extreme....not like you have 6 or 8 monos stacked along with speaker amps etc....and take it u meant caps for the 2x monos not the speaker amps.....and 4x ? for individual caps or 4 farad worth ??? dont think they come with that size capacitence - lemme know ya plans for that

No i am not kidding it is 1500RMS running 2400wrms worth of voice coils.. Underpowered i know..

Trust me if you saw the batteries you would understand why i am going with 4 of them..

And i am running 2 x 2 Farad capacitors.. one the speaker amp and one on the headunit/ICE.. I am running the caps there for a reason.. Capacitors on sub amps when the batteries are within 30cm is a waste of time and money.. where as by running the caps on the speaker amp and headunit/ICE will stabilise the voltage going into these thus improving their performance and stopping the headunit/ ICE from dimming with the bass..

1500wrms + 1500wrms + 760wrms = 3760wrms or 3.8kwrms.. Basic maths..

Hope this answered your comments MR GURU..

Cheers,
Nik

Well as much as I appreciate the sarcasm....u dont yet have the 2nd 1500wRMS amp ... hence with only a single 1500w i was trying to work out where your other 2300w were coming from and thought maybe you were including the woofers in there.....so no not basic maths...just didnt realise u were forecasting what you are hoping to have....

As far as the caps....your kiddin yourself if u think hangin them of your speaker amps will benefit in any way....or help with dimming (if there with and inline sub circuit and close enough to it then yeh may help with the dimming)....only reason while you're gonna get dimming is from the high current draw the subs/subwoofer amplifiers draw so why wouldnt u hang them off there ? ... have you actually heard of anyone doing what you plan to do...stiffening caps in car audio were intended for assisting in keeping the flow of current to your class D amps regulated and adequete....MAINLY for burst periods or high current draw periods like cranking up that system at an SPL day etc....and they need to be as close to the sub amp circuit as possible most say no longer than 18cms.

So not having a crack at ya dude but just saying u might waste some money yourself...

Regards
"MR GURU"

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

WIKWOK wrote:
Demo_efman wrote:
that is insane - but the install is pretty sweet - do they even run properly with one amp running them - i would have to have atleast 4 mono blocks running them then it would make some noise!!

See there is a flaw in your theory mate.. if i was to use 4 mono amps to run my 8 subs in theory it would be good.. but you see i am running 4 subs in one enclosure and the other 4 in another.. when you start using multiple amps running multiple subs in a common box you need some pretty damn sensitive (expensive) equipment to correctly tune the amps so they are putting out identical signals.. Much easier to use one single high powered amp to run each box of subs.. My amps are 1500wrms.. and 4 subs are 1200wrms worth of voice coils so ample power really..

Cheers,
Nik

and there isnt as such a flaw in his theory......he's said he would run 4 monos.....didnt say 2x per enclosure....which would support your statement. In saying that what you plan to do is fine....but the assosciated costs of running multiple amps capable of provide close to identical signal strength isnt as big as u think...and can even be done with normal amps just requires more advanced tuning.

Good luck with the setup mate...take it this is all Jaycar gear then ?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

WIKWOK wrote:

Trust me if you saw the batteries you would understand why i am going with 4 of them..

And did u mind elaborating what u planned to run ? and dont feel im just talkin down to u or anything I run 3 large capacity batteries in my own install and am considering adding a 4th altho not needed.

Just wondering what sorta current draw you think you system may draw?

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: WRX

Power: 132 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i hope for your sake you dont underpower too much, i killed my last sub with that, youd have 7 extras to pay for...

Car Killer.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

byrneing wrote:
i hope for your sake you dont underpower too much, i killed my last sub with that, youd have 7 extras to pay for...

yeh funny how that works hey :P underpowering can some cases be worse for gear then overpowering ... espescially when u start to push equipment...

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

WIKWOK wrote:
Big Kev wrote:
your kiddin one 1500w (this RMS or peak) running 8 woofers ???? BE incredibly underpowered...but yeh second will certainly assist...well install so far looks good mate

stage 4 ICE hehe drugs wont help dude :P .....all up sounds like a nice master plan be good to see it all finito

4 batts is i spose fair enough but with only a small number of amps you wont need to go that extreme....not like you have 6 or 8 monos stacked along with speaker amps etc....and take it u meant caps for the 2x monos not the speaker amps.....and 4x ? for individual caps or 4 farad worth ??? dont think they come with that size capacitence - lemme know ya plans for that

No i am not kidding it is 1500RMS running 2400wrms worth of voice coils.. Underpowered i know..

And i am running 2 x 2 Farad capacitors.. one the speaker amp and one on the headunit/ICE.. I am running the caps there for a reason.. Capacitors on sub amps when the batteries are within 30cm is a waste of time and money.. where as by running the caps on the speaker amp and headunit/ICE will stabilise the voltage going into these thus improving their performance and stopping the headunit/ ICE from dimming with the bass..

1500wrms + 1500wrms + 760wrms = 3760wrms or 3.8kwrms.. Basic maths..

Hope this answered your comments MR GURU..

Cheers,
Nik

Hey mate i know i havent been here for that long either but there is no need to have a go at members who have been here ALOT longer and have offered there good advice on any number of occasions to help out fellow fordmodders after all that is the point of this forum.and from what i have seen and read kev knows what he is on about.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

XR6 EF wrote:
Hey mate i know i havent been here for that long either but there is no need to have a go at members who have been here ALOT longer and have offered there good advice on any number of occasions to help out fellow fordmodders after all that is the point of this forum.and from what i have seen and read kev knows what he is on about.

Thanks dude but yeh i wouldn't worry this sorta stuff is bound to happen from time to time and its easy to miss read info....but yeh appreciate the comment and wish all the best for wikwoks install looks good so far

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:47 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

dude u gotta change ur exhaust tip, looks really whimpy compared to ur system or just until u get ur exhaust done

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Falcon-enthusiast wrote:
dude u gotta change ur exhaust tip, looks really whimpy compared to ur system or just until u get ur exhaust done

well with turbo kit round the corner ;) 3" stainless tip backed by full 3" system would go down a treat :P

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:51 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hmm.. Well just a few points to clear up..

* I have got an aftermarket exhaust - 2.5" straight through one muffler i just hate all the gay a** oval and dump tips that get around.. But don't worry once the rear bar goes on you won't see my tip at all..

* Batteries i am running are 18ah gel cell batteries with a crank capacity of 330a/10secs.. As for current draw of the system i am estimating around the 300 -350 Amp mark when playing sine wave..

* As for the capacitors.. well testing in my system (as well as other SPL designed cars) has shown that maybe i am correct.. And running caps in spl systems when a battery is in the rear can sometimes lead to a DB loss.. But i am sure you already knew that.. Guess we will just have to wait an see won't we..

* And yes it is all Jaycar gear.. I figured i may as well use my staff purchase...

Cheers,
Nik

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: WRX

Power: 132 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Do you guys get half price?

I know somebody who knows somebody who says he gets half off after 6 months of employment. How true is that.

Jaycar pay must be pretty good if you can afford a sex car like that.

Car Killer.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next