alpine subs and amps 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: alpine subs and amps
Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

i just have a quick question, im looking at 2 SWR - 1222D subs to install in my boot but was told that id need 2 amps to drive em when one MRD - M1005 has the capacity to drive both. now i am a newby to all this sorta thing so im learning but am i able to power both subs off the one mono-block amp?? also, who would i talk to about gettin a custom sub box made up so i could mount them between the shockers in the boot?? any help is good help thanx guys

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Okay I am not a professional but I'll give it a stab. The monoblock can produce 1000W RMS @ 2 Ohms, but that is at 14.4V which in reality does not occur in the car. At 12V this amp only produces 700W RMS which is close to the real power you are going to get out of the amp. When the car is on though you will get a slight power increase since it would be run at 13.3V or something. To power the 2 x DVC subs to their full potential you are going to need at least 1000W RMS I think. You can still run the subs off the amp, though the amp will struggle to meet the demands of the subs.

Anyways long story short...you would need either a more power amp or you will need to get 2 amps as someone has suggested...it will work out cheaper and easier if you get a larger monoblock I think and if memory serves me right someone is selling a pretty strong amp enough to power the 2 subs.

And with the install. Sorry dude don't know anyone...unless you want to ask Pyroay or BigKev or some other audio geeks :P if they have spare time to make you a box.

Hope that helps...and like I said...I ain't no pro so don't quote me on that.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:28 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

That amp will run 2 perfect. Call Alpine, I bet it is the exact setup they recommend.

A good alternator/electrical system WILL run at around 13.8-14.2v which is close enough to the 14.4v rating of 1000Wrms @ 2 ohm. The tiny difference will not make an audible difference.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Simply put yes one amp will drive both subwoofers drivers at max power or very close to when the car is running.

I have 2 of these setups in my boot....2x SWR-1222D's handing off a MRD-1005M wired in series for a 2 ohm load....be careful not to wire in parrallel as this will produce a 0.5ohm load which if leftor driven hard will kill or risk damaging your equipment...a high risk at that.

don't listen to anyone that tells you u need one of the amps per sub...its bull. There only 500w RMS nominal remeber

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Simply put yes one amp will drive both subwoofers drivers at max power or very close to when the car is running.

I have 2 of these setups in my boot....2x SWR-1222D's handing off a MRD-1005M wired in series for a 2 ohm load....be careful not to wire in parrallel as this will produce a 0.5ohm load which if leftor driven hard will kill or risk damaging your equipment...a high risk at that.

don't listen to anyone that tells you u need one of the amps per sub...its bull. There only 500w RMS nominal remeber

I always thought that you'd need at least 1000W RMS to run 2 x 500W RMS? Then again I am not thinking of max power from the amp which was like 1800 or something. meh...I would personally get a slightly larger amp.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

phongus wrote:
Big Kev wrote:

I always thought that you'd need at least 1000W RMS to run 2 x 500W RMS? Then again I am not thinking of max power from the amp which was like 1800 or something. meh...I would personally get a slightly larger amp.

phong =P~

But what is your reasoning for getting a larger amp ? I don't see why you would want too....unless you have large amounts of money to waste and dont mind wasting it.

If you wish to obtain the max burst output from the subs then yes....b7ut to u drive around occassionally burping your system for a 2 second period?

In this case the 2x SWR-1222D 12" Type-R alpine subwoofers are rated nominally at 500w RMS...with peaks of 1000w RMS @ 2ohms - 14.4V

YEs that would require an amp that can produce 2000w peak....which the M1005 can do but is not rated for...it is rated for 1800w peak @ 2ohms....however you could still run it at 0.5ohm....just not recommended. The next one up the line th PDX1.1000 would be the better bet as its 1000w RMS nominally and 2200w Peak at the same impedance etc.

So yes to run 2x 500w RMS woofers you do need to supply 1000w RMS which this amp or the PDX1.1000 provide

So this amp is more than capable to run these subs at their max nominally....if wired in series. For everyday listening....plus at rrp $899 not many other brands offer this perfomance plus all the features for that price tag.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

The subs are 500Wrms each, the amp is 1000Wrms... I don't see the issue, they match perfectly.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]