alternator whine 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: alternator whine
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

i have an alternator whine through my speakers. they are ran off a amp in the back
ive read through this http://www.termpro.com/articles/howto.asp?ID=121
so far ive earthed the head unit. shortened the earth to the amp and the noise is still there.

i think i may have a ground loop?? it says a ground loop is when you have more than 1 ground, its impossible to only have 1 ground lol

also my RCA's are in the middle of the car, it says that if i remove the RCA's and the noise is gone ( in my cases it is ) its not the speaker wiring or the amp. so does this mean its the RCA's ??

im thinking of buying new RCA's and running them on the drivers side of tne trans tunnel. atm they are on passengers side

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Post subject: Re: alternator whine
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

Grab a Ground Loop isolator, from jaycar or any good car audio store, and plug it in, inline with your RCAs.

If the problem is fixed, you have a ground loop. You can either leave it there and the noise will be gone, or connect both your amp(s) and the source unit to the same grounding point.

Also make sure your amp has a good earth. If its connected to the chassis, make sure you have sanded it back to bare metal, not paint or primer, as these dont make good earth!

BOOSTED

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

being a digital tv arial installer i know that putting the cable near 240 volts in a house can disturb the reception and so we have a set distance minimum it needs to be away from the 240v when running it down the walls or in the roof so maybe its affecting the rca's if its ran near the power or something?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

i fixed the noise its gone.
I have 2 sets of rca's one set going into a amp for my speaker and another set going into a amp for a sub. What i did was take out the rca's for the sub amp and the noise went away.

Whats confusing is the amp is just sitting there it has no power as i got rid of my sub ages ago.

I also cleaned all earths. and yes if rca's are next to a positive wire it will cause noise . Thats why you run your positive wire for a amp down the drivers side of the car closest to the doors . And run the rca's down the middle close as possible to the trans tunnel.

Thats how i did mine and some how still got noise but the noise was a ground loop or something

and i had one of those noise filters before and it done nothing.

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]