Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Amp Fuses
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

hey guys

When taking stereo out of other car I blew the fuse that is in the power wire that runs from amp to the battery. Its in a little black box towards the end of the wire.

Anyway, I seem to have misplaced the fuse and cant remember what size it was. Could anybody tell me? I got told for a low power setup, a 60w fuse would do it? I have a 4 channel 1200 watt amp running 2x10"s

What size fuse would I need?

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Fuses are messured in amps, not watts.
Assuming you still ment 60amps, that might be too big. My Kicker KX400.1 monoblock only runs a 40amp, and my Philips DAPsomething or other 4 channel only a 30amp.
Then there's also many different sizes and styles of fuses, glass (in about a zillion different physical sizes), blade (standard or mini), ceramic, etc.
Easiest way to determine what size fuse, is look at your amp, it should have it's own fuse already on it, find out what size that is, and get the same size to fit in the power line to the amp, at least that's what i've always done.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

righteo ill just chuck a fuse the same as the amp in the wire

cheers

and yeh i know its measure in amps lol lack of sleep will do that 2 ya

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

its acctually a good idea tho if your amp has multiple fuses to go a little higher on the battery fuse, in a case in your system it may not be too noticable but its a good idea anyway, for example, my amp has 3x 30A fuses equaling 90A and my 80A fuses were blowing all hte time so i got a 100A circuit breaker (similar to the circuit breaker in your meterbox on your house) and never had a problem since...

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

razor has some good ideas there :P i have a 120A circut breaker in boot, both amps are fused seperatly at 60A and i also have a 250A fuse in my engine bay

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED wagon

SA, Australia

According to the maths, 1200 watts on 12 volts = 100 amps
If your amp is using a 40 amp fuse, then 40 amps on 12 volts = 480 watts before the fuse pops....NOT 1200 watts, in ANY possible way....

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

what u mean muddy

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

eb_guy888 wrote:
what u mean muddy

In other words his bringing your amp to reality and telling you that really your not ever going to get 1200 watts. its just rms or what ever they call it, some s**t figure that they don't produce.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

They produce that power but only for like a millisecond :lol: . If you really want some advice on stereos pm bigkev. He's pretty good at this stuff 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeh he knows a lot

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

What I mean is......If your Amp is supposedly putting out 1200 watts and is powered by the car's 12 volt system, then the amp will be drawing 100 amps through the supposedly 40 amp fuse...Highly UNLIKELY. The maximum power you can produce continuously through a 40 amp fuse is 40 X 12 = 480 watts. For your amp to be running at 1200 watts AND using a 40 amp fuse, you MUST be using 30 volts supply. This is basic electricity. Some of these specs that are forced on you blokes are TOTAL BS. I would especially suggest that if you were in a vehicle and had the sound cranked up to even 30 watts, you could not stay in the car very long. So stop all this nonsenswe about hundreds of watts of supposed power. Next time some smick salesman sells you a XXX watt system, just ask him what size fuse you need. The CORRECT fuse is watts divided by volts = amps.....i.e. 1200 watts divided by 12 volts = 100 amps. A lot of you blokes are being taken for a ride by sales people and your own damn egos.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

So you are telling me that, using your calculations, to run my spotlights (6 130 watt spotlights ) I should be running a 65 amp fuse? Why do they all still work on a 400 k drive using a 30w fuse then a***?

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

That's MR a***, thanks...
It's not my calculations pal.
If you ARE running 6 X 130 watt lights through a 30 amp fuse, I suggest you take a better look, or put your glasses on. It is a FACT, Got it? FACT that volts times amps = watts. So your lights CANNOT be 6 X 130 watts OR your fuse CANNOT be actually 30 amps (despite what is stamped on the end of it). FACT!!!!
Most likely, the fuse is RATED at 30 amps, but will not blow until quite a bit more current is flowing. That's something you'll have to take up with the mob who make them. RATED at 30 amps, in this case, means that 30 amps will happily flow through it BEFORE any resistance change in the fuse wire begins to have an effect on the current by heating the wire up to near its melting point. I would BET my left whatname that if you had the fuse tested by someone who knows what they are doing it will prove to fail at a higher current. The only way to check this is to put a good quality amp meter in the circuit and see just how much current is flowing through the fuse?
Anyway, let's not start a bun fight about this, you young blokes will always think us old codgers dunno what we are talking about anyway??

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hey I don't wanna start a fight over this either just getting a bit technical when you start talking about what is stamped on the fuse and what it will actually carry 8-) . And who you calling young? :lol: I'm over thirty and the old body thinks its over 60 :lol: . I was just stating that my spotties work fine with a 30w fuse in them. And I used that riangle thing they taught me in TAFE regarding all my lights so that I wouldn't overload the alternator.

This is not a a*** question but are you a sparky muddy or just speaking from experience (noticed your age :lol: )? Like I said not a a*** question 8-)

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

No, not a sparky, but been in electronics field since '71...s**t, that's 35 years.....Yeah, I'm gettin' old too, and feel it most days. Sorry about gettin' technical, but sometimes I get a bit miffed at what salespeople expect their customers to swallow.
Oh well, this stirred up the old blood pressure a bit, now I gotta go to bed to lower it!
Catch you somewhere else one day/nite.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next