Fordmods Logo

Amp install in BA XT. Help needed! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Amp install in BA XT. Help needed!
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2002 BA XT

SA, Australia

Hi guys,

I'm setting out to install an amp in my 2002 XT, just wondering if anyone can post me a link or even give me some tips on how to do it properly!!
Last thing i want to do is spend all day on it only to stuff everything up! I've installed amp's before and i've got an electronic engineer to help me install it but we just have no idea about these ICC'c in the BA!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA FALCON

QLD, Australia

heres some pics of my basic setup, your lucky im bored as hell at work and just run out n took some fotos, mite be easier seen than explained. i ran the remote wire for the amp to the cig lighter as it turns on with accessories. mounted the amp on back of seat and earth to bolt just under seat catch. had mine in and working since i got the car, no problems. i also went to the trouble of being tricky and mounting the fuse and the bass control for the amp in the centre console as in pics.

CAM860 - White BA 05 Futura, GT bodykit, Cobra badges, BSA 18" mags, Altezza tail lights, Lower bumper forced pod induction

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Awesome, thanks heaps for the photo's, they'll be a massive help!

Just one question tho, i heard the ICC doesn't have any RCA out's, what did you do to get around that?

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

Im not sure how the XT's came - but have a look behind the carpet near where the manual fuel cap release is. There may be the mounting for the factory amp that came with premium sound. That is where I mounted my aftermarket amp. Also connected to the cigarette lighter power for the remote. For signal to the amp you need to tap into the speaker cables feeding the back speakers. Use a line level convertor that drops the signal back to RCA's.

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

KTASTRPHE wrote:
Im not sure how the XT's came - but have a look behind the carpet near where the manual fuel cap release is. There may be the mounting for the factory amp that came with premium sound. That is where I mounted my aftermarket amp. Also connected to the cigarette lighter power for the remote. For signal to the amp you need to tap into the speaker cables feeding the back speakers. Use a line level convertor that drops the signal back to RCA's.

yes, thats what i did, i think they are $15 from autobarn, its got 5 wires, one is an earth u dont need to connect, and attach the other 4 to the 2 wires on a speaker in the back, and it converts to 2 rca's, i didnt bother looking, but does the facotry icc unit have rca outputs?

CAM860 - White BA 05 Futura, GT bodykit, Cobra badges, BSA 18" mags, Altezza tail lights, Lower bumper forced pod induction

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Futura

NSW, Australia

Nah the icc unit doesnt have any rca outputs, but it would make it sooo much easier. I'm about to put an amp and sub in myself so the more info the better :lol:

Ktastrphe would it be possible to get some pics of how exactly you mounted your amp to the factory spot? I've had a look there and can't for the life of me figure out how to mount the thing. It seems like the factory amp must be pretty small to fit there and still have the carpet fit. My amp might be about 1/2 the size of Cameroncoulston's.

And where abouts did people run the power wire through the firewall? I've seen it go through the grommit where the clutch cable would be (mines an auto), but I'd rather follow the loom through. I had a look at it, but I cant get the kick panel off on the driver side to have a look there, im scared im gunna break something.. :oops: (ive never pulled apart a ford before, only the old corolla) Is there any way to get that kick panel off without having to take off all the trim down around the seat rails?

Oh, and btw sleeperBA, try not to touch the icc. Ive heard that even tilting the damn thing will break something. :shock:

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

175.6 rwkw

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:42 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

i drilled a hole through the firewall as thick as the cable just near the steering shaft, its neat and hidden quite well.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to give it a crack this weekend. I'm sure if i get all charged up :shock: i should be able to crank it out and even dump the monoblock and sub in too! :D

The amp i've got has high level input's on it so i should even be able to get away with just running the speaker wire straight in that way.

I'll post some photo's as i'm doing it so you can see how i get it done.... or how i stuff it up!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]