Fordmods Logo

Amp mounted near LPG tank OK? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Amp mounted near LPG tank OK?
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

LPG tanks have their advantages but when it come to amps, subs and speakers the tank gets in the way!

I previously had my amp under the front seat, but the amp was too big and stuck out and often got kicked by passengers in the back seat.

So last night I decided to remove the lot and relocate it to the back of the back seats.

The amp is only and inch or two away from the actual LPG tank, as a precaution I have placed a rubber mat so that no connection takes place.

I was wondering on whether I should keep it there or will it be to dangerious?

Your opinions would be most helpful

Cheers Adam

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

It'll be fine.
Consider this for a moment, the LPG tank already has power wires running along it for the solenoids and gauge and what not.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
It'll be fine.
Consider this for a moment, the LPG tank already has power wires running along it for the solenoids and gauge and what not.

exactly and an amplifier will also never reach the heat level that would effect the tank or contents inside....Im sure it wouldnt be smart to short a component on the tank but yeh...even that shouldnt do anything as it wouldnt spark inside the tank.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

that make me feel alot safer, I want to hear a booming sound from my boot, but not the boom of the gas tank blowing up!

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

bArNsY wrote:
that make me feel alot safer, I want to hear a booming sound from my boot, but not the boom of the gas tank blowing up!

hehehe i bet ... safe kinda goes out the window and if it ignited and actually xploded someone how it wouldnt be pretty...bye bye boot n rear end of the car lol

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
It'll be fine.

exactly and an amplifier will also never reach the heat level that would effect the tank or contents inside....Im sure it wouldnt be smart to short a component on the tank but yeh...even that shouldnt do anything as it wouldnt spark inside the tank.

My battery sits ontop of my petrol tank and is only 20cms max away from the LPG tank. I've also got an amp down there in the spare wheel well. Not to mention the exhaust is a diff dumper and so ends a bit before the tanks which I'm sure get some hot air on them then. I've actually run an earth lead to the mounting bracket of the LPG tank. But then I'm a bit stupid...

Don't some drag cars and that have both the fuel cell and battery in the boot too?

Not to mention the stocko petrol tank runs un shielded power wires to the fuel pump through the petrol.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The tank gauge and unions sit in a compartment which has a sealed lid, plus the lines, gauge wiring, lockoff wiring exit the compartment through a convoluted hose, so if everything is in place, theoretically any excess LPG should exit the vehicle without stagnating in the boot anyway.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon XE

VIC, Australia

I'm trying to remember something about an earth return system in cars....

Well the odds of it blowing up now are probably the same as it was without it in the boot. Which is like 9,000,000:1! I'd be more worried about being rammed from behind by something at speed than the sub.

If its of any comfort, the tank blowing up (would more than likely be something other than amp) would send your car to the big wreckers yard in the sky regardless of the sub in the boot or not!

lol

The bee's are on the what now?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]