Fordmods Logo

Amp not working 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Amp not working
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:00 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well a few weeks back my amp stopped working (sub not running, power light on amp not coming) so i checked the fuses first all looked ok but i replaced them anyway just to be sure.

Nothing happened so next i checked the power cables - battery connection looked ok, ground looked ok and all looks right hooked up to amp and its not blowing fuses either.

Then when i was driving along the other day my sub sudenly came back on, then went off and then came back on/off a couple times.

So basically its good beacuse i know my amp/sub are not dead lol. But i have no idea why its not working. Now i dont know much about car audio/electrical issues but the +/- connections all looked ok to me.

What else could it be? my mate suggested a plug from the amp to the back of my headunit might have came out or became lose? Im not too sure it sounds logical as the sub started working again when we were mainly driving up hills lol. But a lose cable at the back of the headunit would have no effect on whether the amp power light goes on/off would it? unless the light no longer works.

So basically im stuck and will check out the headunit cables some time this week, any other suggestions on what it could be?

1996 5spd EF2 XR6 - Genuine AJR's, full kit........

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

There is a wire that comes out of the head unit which tells the amp when to switch on and off, commonly called the remote wire. You could have a loose connection on this wire.
A quick way to check is to find the remote connection on the amp and run a short wire connecting it to the positive connection on the amp. If you go for a short drive like this and the amp works properly then the problem will be the remote wire, or the head unit.

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

what amp is it?

Banned

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hmm well your amp mabe in protection mode? Which means you will need to take it into a car audio place and get them to fix it, usually costs about $50 :) Or as it was mentioned b4 the remote on/off wire might be loose :)

Make sure you check all connections

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:33 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

It was the remote wire connection, i tested it by running to the +ve connection on the amp but couldnt be bothered actually finding out where its gone wrong, will do it later in the week lol Oh yeah and connection looked ok in the back of the headunit so i think i know where the problem is. Thanks for the help!

1996 5spd EF2 XR6 - Genuine AJR's, full kit........

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

frd_xr6 wrote:
It was the remote wire connection, i tested it by running to the +ve connection on the amp but couldnt be bothered actually finding out where its gone wrong, will do it later in the week lol Oh yeah and connection looked ok in the back of the headunit so i think i know where the problem is. Thanks for the help!

No problem :)

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]