Fordmods Logo

Amp powers up but theres no sound 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Amp powers up but theres no sound
Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I connected my amp it has power and the green light comes on and the protection light stays off, so far so good.

I connected the RCA's to the headunit and speaker wire to the sub/splits.

However i get no sound out of the sub/speakers, when i put my ear up to the tweeters i can hear noise coming from them like when you have the radio on but not tuned to any station and it just makes that hssssss noise.

I can't figure out where i have gone wrong, its like there is no signal from the headunit or the RCA aern't working.

The RCA connections on the amp have Input/Ouput im not sure which to connect the sub RCA or front speaker RCA too so i tried switching them around it made no difference.

What could be possible causes of this problem? Would the green light on the amp still turn on if my remote wire wasnt connected properly?

1996 5spd EF2 XR6 - Genuine AJR's, full kit........

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Have you checked if the fuses of both the Head unit and the amp are not blown. Is there sound coming from the speakers that are connected straight to the head unit?

double check your connections. Behind the Headunit the RCA Out goes into RCA Input of the amp. If it is a 4 channel amp make sure you are using the correct positive and negative outputs of the correct channel. You may have used a positive from one channel and the negative of another channel which may not have an input signal.

If all fails I think the output of the amp is either buggered or the RCA outputs of the head unit is broken.

That's all i can think off...hope that helps?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

hey man you are getting power to the amp and from the remote wire so dont worry about that. I had a pioneer head unit and it had a seperate menu which u have to change rac outs. mine only had base comming out! your rca's may not be connectind as well hav a play with them when on and see if u get sound! Good luck ill keep up on your comments and see if this doesnt help

El Futura
Pacemaker extractors, hiflow cat, 2.5 cat back, DBA slotted rotors, K&N, dev 5 head and cam, 75 shot noss, 20's.ba Detroit locker. 3.9 gears, CAI and outher stuff.....

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: Manual EL XR6

grab a multimeter and measure the amount of power on the remote wire at the amp.

You may have connected the wrong remote wire, some head units have a remote signal that's for the power antenna as well as the amp, and the power antenna wire has bugger all power. You need to be getting 12 volts to the remote wire at the amp.

cheers,
Jason.

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: eb

VIC, Australia

1.if you think that the remote hasnt got enough power just connect remote to straight power to see if it works(i dont recomend you leave it there over night)
2.and you connect rca s to input on the amp

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:36 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

There is sound coming from the speakers connected to the headunit so i dont think the headunit fuse is blown.

Phongus the amp is brand new so i dont think that would be stuffed, the headunit was installed by the previous owner lats August and had never used any RCA's before so i wouldn;t think thats broken either.

My el project, how did you get into the menu for the RCA's? I have a pioneer unit DEH-P4850MP
with Dual RCA Preout (Front + Rear or subwoofer). But i can only find a menu where you can turn the sub on/off or normal/reverse.

This is how i have wired it, i wasn't too sure about which goes where i.e if i connect one end of the RCA to the headunit part which sais (rear/subwoofer) and the other end to the input on the amp. Does that mean i connect the other RCA to the front speaker designated connection on the headunit to the output on the amp?

Ok on the back the headunit has 2 RCA points (far left in below pic) which it sais the one on the left is for sub and the one on the right for the fronts. So i have connected my RCA's to both.

Then on the amp, it has the other end where i plug the RCA's into. You can see on the left there is input/ouput. Which one do i plug the RCA into which has the other end plugged into the sub connection on the headunit - input or output? What about the front speaker RCA?

This is the other end i just have the sub bridged in these pics, no speakers plugged in. To connect them i just put the wire in the hole and tightened the screw is this how its done or should i have a special connector?

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairmont wagon

TAS, Australia

Ok, rune one pair of RCA's from Front on HU to Front input on amp, ignore the RCA Out on the amp.
Then run a pair of RCA's from Rear HU to Rear Input on amp.
Connect splits to Front speaker terminals on amp, connect Sub to Rear speaker terminals on amp.
You should now have sound.
Also, check the fuse that's on the left in the bottom pic, doesn't look real healthy.
Run some thicker speaker wire, wouldn't use anything that thin off my HU let alone off an amp.

Cheers
Mick

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

on the amp you plug all rca leads to input not output dont even think about output it for a different purpose

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

TAS, Australia

Forgot to add, the Sub Out on the HU is designed for use with a Mono amp, and connects using a Single RCA (One plug at each end, not two).
This can still be used with your setup. If you go into d**k smiths, tandy etc etc and ask for a 2 Female to 1 Male RCA adapter plug, connect that into the plug on the HU then switch the RCA from Rear Out on HU into the new adaptor plug.

Cheers
Mick

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

oh yeah whats that lead coming off the middle of the amp in the second pic

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:55 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks cant believe i was that stupid to ignore the other RCA input. For some reason i thought you used that to connect it to another amplifier :shock:

Ok it now powers up everything and sound comes out :D

What speaker wire should i get i.e thickness/guage and where can i get it from i assume Jaycar would sell this stuff? Should i get 10 guage or something like that...

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

falcon gl wrote:
oh yeah whats that lead coming off the middle of the amp in the second pic

Thats a remote for bass control or something, its just got a little unit attachted with a knob saying MIN to MAX

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

speaker wire, just go to d**k and ask for speaker wire with over 150 conductors in each cable

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

TAS, Australia

I'm running 4 guage from amp to sub in mine. It's the old power supply wire that was connected to the amp before I wired in 0 guage. It was running 10 guage from sub to amp before this.

What I'm running is probably overkill but it sounds great.

Cheers
Mick

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:08 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Will do, the speaker wire in the pic is the wire i got in the amp wiring kit so i assumed that was good enough, but obviously not. I'll go out tommorow and get some 10 guage to wire up the splits and sub.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]