Fordmods Logo

amp(s) in floor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: amp(s) in floor
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

just wondering if i put an amp in the floor of my wagon would there be issues with it overheating? especially if i had the wagon full of luggage? any ideas?
cheeres

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

if you cover it with carpet will likely over heat. or are you talking about putting it in the spare wheel well? should be fine in there if not driven overly hard...

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i was thinking if i cut a hole for it in the floor and mount it from the underside so that the top of the amp is flush with the floor.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Should be fine depeding on how the amp already is setup to disapate heat. If it has good enough cooling already it should be fine....but with luggage etc over the top of it might not be so good. Amps can be pretty resilent then ago some arent...so depends....you could even setupunder the floor a fan system that runs areound the sides or somethin but hmm...just have to see what amp u have to whether that would be an advantage..and then how youd set it up.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

yeah thought i MIGHT get away with it, ill just watch out for overloading it with luggage on top of it.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

yeah thought i MIGHT get away with it, ill just watch out for overloading it with luggage on top of it.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

You mean cutting a hole in the actual floor so as the road can be seen? i would make a fake floor and recess holes for the amps. Clear perspex could be used to cover amps and fans inside circulating air, alternatively a mesh could be used to cover the amps, will protect and let air through. I would go with fans so as it wont matter if they are covered with luggage.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

not in the actual floor, no way. in the timber flood in the boot of my wagon. but yeah love the perspex idea. what fans do you use? do you wire them so they are always on when the ignition is on r do you usually wire them to a switch? thanks for your help.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

not in the actual floor, no way. in the timber flood in the boot of my wagon. but yeah love the perspex idea. what fans do you use? do you wire them so they are always on when the ignition is on r do you usually wire them to a switch? thanks for your help.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Just 12volt brushless fans from d**k Smith or Jaycar. I dont think they draw much current but if you are worried run them and the remotes for the amps via a relay from the HU remote. The fans then will power up with the amps only.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

joolz wrote:
Just 12volt brushless fans from d**k Smith or Jaycar. I dont think they draw much current but if you are worried run them and the remotes for the amps via a relay from the HU remote. The fans then will power up with the amps only.

Thats the best way to do it...fans are cheap as chips...normal incase computer fans pretty much....nice n quiet but still effective.

Id use a combo off the mesh and fans to be honest...only becuase you are wanting to cover the amps with luggage on the occasion ? What about a thin custom mdf enclosure with perspex window on one of the boot walls? instead of the floor...still i spose ya gonna have luggage against it...

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]