Amp too small? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Amp too small?
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 98 Patrol

QLD, Australia

Wen i bought my car it had a 1000watt peak output sub i think its 12" and a 220watt amp 1. Is that way too small for an amp to run a 1000watt sub? Also along the same line wen i got it the bass was good it and now its got really s**t..... ive checked the amp fuse and its all good.... it just seems like its trying to hard and instead of a nice boom like it used to be its more like a bang. Its hard to discribe... well sorry 4 dribbling on but ne help would be great... thanks

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

1. your amp should only match what your nominal watts of your woofer is, for example i have a 900w RMS Woofer that peaks at 2300w RMS, i run a 900w monoblock and it handles the peak power fine, peak power is ussually only run for no more then 2 seconds

2. as for your sub sounding weak, sounds like your voice coils could be on the way out...

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ill have to look at wat my nominal wattage is... Also sometimes my sub sounds good though.... The other thread said something about it overheating and i do give it some and it isnt lying flat either.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just looked and the woofer rms is 220W which is wat the amp is. So that means thats not the prob then. Just weird how it just doesnt sound as good ne more. Must be the voice coils.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

Pull it out of the box and gently push the cone in from the centre... It should be smooth, ifthere is any scratching the voice coil is toast. You can also measure the voice coil resistence with a multimeter.

What sub is it? What impedence voice coil/s does it have?

If it sounds good sometimes and poor at other times, it could be that a setting has been changed. That is more likely than a faulty sub sounding good sometimes.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Stone wrote:
If it sounds good sometimes and poor at other times, it could be that a setting has been changed. That is more likely than a faulty sub sounding good sometimes.

Thats an important factor as a lot of guys find this after they decide to do abit of tweaking their headunit EQ or amp settings not sure of what there doing...then when the system sounds s**t they think stuff is broken etc...so you have tinkered with any settings or dials on your amp/head unit?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]