Fordmods Logo

amp wiring question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: amp wiring question
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:26 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU I XR6 VCT

NSW, Australia

i posted a topic about wiring an amp last week. Tha amp has finally arrived so now i need some advice.
The amp is a 5 channel amp with inputs for fronts, rears and the sub.
What i was planning to do was buy high to low converters as i am using the original head unit (BA Falcon), and hook up the rear speaker wiring to the converter so i can run RCA leads to the amp like that whilst leaving the front speakers un amped. (factory speakers still fitted but have replaced rears with 6x9's. To obtain a signal to run to the amp for the sub i was planning on using another high to low converter and using the front speakers and wiring in the following order to create the circuit through the converter...........left positive from headunit to left front speaker, left front neg from left front speaker to left positive of coverter, left front negative of converter back to negative of headunit. (same wiring for right front to right side of converter). this way i still have the front speakers connected and can draw a signal from them to drive the sub as well by running the RCA leads from this converter to the sub input of the amp.

Is this woring config going to reduce front speaker signal way too much or is it even going to work at all?? (basically the converter is wired in series into the front speaker circuitry)

Ideas comments suggestions would be appreciated as yes i am a bit of a novice with stereo installs when it comes to amps and subs

drive it like it was built to be driven

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

i think you will find that this kind of arrangment in theory will overload ur cct, by doubling ur cct resistance, ill be corrected if im wrong but i am sure thats what itll do, which isnt good for ur hu :P

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:58 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yeah just not sure what other options i have as being the factory stuff i dont have outputs on the hu.
dunno why they dont think of s**t like that when they build em.....i mean they must know people wont settle for standard bassless crap ha ha ha.
Also one other thing i forgot to mention is that i have a dual voice coil sub. Now to avoid overloading tha amp, can i wire the two voice coils in series.....ie pos to sub neg 1st coil to pos of 2nd coil, neg 2nd coil to amp
????

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

You can wire the subs voice coil in series which will give u a combined impediance of 8 Ohms, if u wire them in parallel u will have a combined impediance of 2 ohm, the amp should be 2 ohm stable, most of them are (Check in Manual) so if it is wire them in parallel then connect to amp as you will get more out of it this way.

With wiring up the amp, u should be able to get away with one High to Low Converter just wire it to the exisiting rear speaker leads from deck then the RCA out from converter run through Y splitters to supply all of the amps channels, then u can run the 6x9's and sub of amp and just use the gain and High Pass and Low Pass Filters of each channel built in to amp to tune the 6x9's and Sub.
Also wired like this u can still use the deck to adjust the Fade between Front and Rear if the 6x9's and sub are to overpowering u can fade to the front a bit more than rear.

97 EL Fairmont
2006 Model Pioneer Headunit
Twin 12 Inch subs
Boot install in progress
Plenty of Mods planned
Fully Adjustable Shiftkit
Lukey 2 1/2 Inch exhaust one muffler, no resonator

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

If you are going to use the front speakers for powering the subs I wouldnt run the wiring in series as you are suggesting - run it in parallel. IE front left positive from the stereo runs to the front left speaker positive and the left positive of the convertor. front left negative from the stereo to the front left speaker negative and the left negative of the convertor. Will be the same as doing it on the rears, which made no difference to sound quality or power draw on the stereo/amps.

Like fariy4me said, you are better off just running it all from the rears and using a Y splitter.. heaps less fu(king around.

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

id be tempted to run line level converters to the amp, split the rcas, then run all speakers off the amp, but thats just me :P

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

if you wire the fronts and sub like you initially said, won't the sub just play the difference between the left and right signals? it's how the original surround sound was made for rear speakers.

y-splitters on the rca's are definately the way to go.

it's a 5 channel right? aren't you interested in running all of your speakers off the amp? Even stock speakers sound much better with enough power behind them.

Subtle but high quality audio system.
Alpine processor and amp / Focal Utopia splits / Soundstream Exact sub

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

thanx guys got a bit more of an idea now. damn bank wont let me buy the rest of the bits just now so will have to wait till next week. getting sick just does u no good these days.
would anyone advise using a capacitor??? its a 3400 watt max power amp 600 watts for 4 chan and 1000 for amp channel

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:34 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

We'll have to meet up sometime. See what you have and talk through options. Myself and concorde set up this years #2 at the nats SQ comp 0-600 Street Pro class.

But as cookie_monsta said, front stage needs to be amped more than the rear. After all where do you sit. And if you're going for a sub (eithe rnow or later) 6x9's won't help.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]