Fordmods Logo

AMPS draining battery?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: AMPS draining battery??
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Hi,
recently my XD ute battery has been going flat. It has two but im unsure how there are connected. Its running two amps,with 4 speakers and a 12 inch sub feeding off them. Its been going flat when i let it sit for 2 days and go to drive it again. Is it possible that the amps are pulling power even when the cars off? recon i should disconnect the amp cable and see how it goes? any help is appreciated,
cheers

BA XR6 Turbo, Blueprint, 18's, Premium Sound, Leather.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

If the amps are wired correctly, they have a remote control wire, that runs in the middle of the RCAs, and this switches the amps on and off at the appropriate times. Check that all lights triggered by door or boot switches, are in fact working. These can drain a battery quickly, if they don't work properly.

The older I get the better I was!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Could be a shorterd diode in the alternator.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

kwaussiekid- the lights work good with the door switches, n i dun have to worri about a boot light its on a ute.lol im not very good with amps and that, plus its really hard as the batteries are in a flake floor in the back and the wires run from there,il have to get an autoelectric friend to check out the wiring, oh and i just have the starter motor and alternator changed,my mechanic said the alternator was the biggest he could fit, so it could run "all the rubbish i have" lol his words

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon

SA, Australia

andrich wrote:
kwaussiekid- the lights work good with the door switches, n i dun have to worri about a boot light its on a ute.lol im not very good with amps and that, plus its really hard as the batteries are in a flake floor in the back and the wires run from there,il have to get an autoelectric friend to check out the wiring, oh and i just have the starter motor and alternator changed,my mechanic said the alternator was the biggest he could fit, so it could run "all the rubbish i have" lol his words

If you want to see if your car is drawing current while nothing is switched on, buy yourself a cheap multi meter, put it on the amps setting. Take the positive lead of the battery, then put the neg lead of meter on positive battery terminal and the other lead of multi meter on battery post. This will measure current draw. Should read almost nothing allowing for any security or stereo memory(which will drain a minor amount.)

what is it with these wankers and their pod filters.....f#*ken too fast too furious crap! You do realise that big suck noise is for your engine and not your member.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AUIII XR6 HP

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Maybe the alternator is on the way out. If it doesn't put out more than 14v get it replaced. They're usually $100 - $120 for a reco'd one. Takes 5min to change.

PACEMAKER 4480, SS H/F CAT, 2.5" REDBACK, INTAKE PIPING, K&N PANEL, PIONEER TV

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

and get an optima battery!:) can't go wrong with them, but very pricey

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

au2man wrote:
andrich wrote:

If you want to see if your car is drawing current while nothing is switched on, buy yourself a cheap multi meter, put it on the amps setting. Take the positive lead of the battery, then put the neg lead of meter on positive battery terminal and the other lead of multi meter on battery post. This will measure current draw. Should read almost nothing allowing for any security or stereo memory(which will drain a minor amount.)

thanks il giv it a go, my automechanic says it wasnt but il giv it a go,oh and the alternator is brand new so it SHOULDNT be that, but i may have to have a look at it could be faulty, thanks guys

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]