Fordmods Logo

Ask the Car Audio System Installer 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

braidy wrote:
Private9 wrote:
Ok, just had my EF sedan converted to gas so not much room for an install.

Anyhow I've got 2 x 12's which I'll just be sitting in the boot (I need to be able to quickly pull the box out quite often) and have 2 amps to run the system. I had planned to fit the amps under the front seats, however 1 of them will not go under the seat. Next plan was on the back of the back seats, between the gas tank and the back seat, however the larger amp just touches the gas tank right at the top. - So that place is out as well for the larger amp!

Bearing in mind I need to keep whats left of my boot usable, where the hell can I put this bloody amp?!

Next question is, the amp in question is an old school Kicker ZR360. This has a plug in crossover module, however as I bought the amp secondhand, I have no idea how to check the crossover frequency. Any ideas?

Screw them to the back of the containing sub enclosure, or to the roof in the boot, as in, the underside of the parcelshelf.

As for the Kicker, no idea. Probably have to buy a module. eBay maybe? Not ideal, but you might get away with the present crossover points, depending on what the amps were driving previously. Not ideal, but the cheap option. =P

Don't know what happened earlier, but this is how it was meant to turn out!
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I mount the amps to the enclosure as I need to be able to pull the box out quite frequently, without having to spend 10 minutes unwiring it each time - I'd also like the rest of the system to remain usable when the sub box is out of the car. I'm not sure if I can mount them to the top of the boot either, as I use my boot to it's full capacity at times, and things won't fit if I do this! I think it's soundling more and more like I might have to get a smaller amp

As for the crossover module, I'll just give it a try and see how it goes - if it sounds crap, I'll try to track down another!

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

hopefully an easy one braidy. i just bought a pair of 6" speakers for my ED because i have a gas tank and didnt want the hassle like ive had previously with trying to fit 6x9's. however there are only 3 predrilled holes in the parcel shelf and i can only screw in one screw, the over holes of the speakers dont line up. because of the gas tank and the window i cant drill some new holes. can u suggest anything?

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

refuseresist wrote:
hopefully an easy one braidy. i just bought a pair of 6" speakers for my ED because i have a gas tank and didnt want the hassle like ive had previously with trying to fit 6x9's. however there are only 3 predrilled holes in the parcel shelf and i can only screw in one screw, the over holes of the speakers dont line up. because of the gas tank and the window i cant drill some new holes. can u suggest anything?

I would suggest trying something like an angled spacer. You can pick them up at Autobarn for not too much. I believe they're sized at a 6inch. You'd most likely be able to screw it down from in the boot, if you can find a way to somehow get a screwdriver in there (they're like a weak wood or plastic, not sure, but either way it'd be weak enough to get the screw in without a drill) you could use the existing holes. Otherwise, some form of glue like Araldyte or something would work, provided you cut the carpet out (I reckon it would hold better to the metal rather than the carpet, seeing it has a reasonable amount of give if it gets thrown around) straight onto the metal on the parcelshelf. You'd want to make sure you did a good job of glueing it though.

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Capacitators wiring. Positive lead from battery to pos on cap, then from pos of cap to amp. Neg lead from amp to neg on cap, then from neg of cap grounded to the chasis? Is that right? Eyeing off installing an Aerpro unit in my boot not because it's needed, but I'd like to have the digital voltmeter that'ss built in showing.

Cant see how thats slightly wrong apart from not adding the charging part. Its the same out come as you described.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

joolz wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Neg lead from amp to neg on cap, then from neg of cap grounded to the chasis?

Cant see how thats slightly wrong apart from not adding the charging part. Its the same out come as you described.

It was mainly the above portion of the question he was saying was wrong....you should ground the amp and cap seperately...but to the same point is ok.yes.....but I wouldnt run it in series via the cap as braidy was saying..

But yeh definently charge prior :P...and always remember to discharge before disconnecting anything unless its isolated.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

Look. I'm here to answer some questions. If you want some help or an opinion, I welcome it. If not, then don't bother posting.

On another note, I know a little about CarPC's too. Not a lot, but a bit if anyone has any questions about that.

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Mate were happy to have you on board and the more expertise we get on here the better for everyone just be careful with the advice u give opinions etc .... even small wording mistakes some ppl will criticise so yeh just be careful....and keep an open mind its a public forum so its almost impossible not to rub someone the wrong way :P

Good to have u on board

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:35 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Stone wrote:
The top SQ car in Australia uses stock wiring into the doors. .

Thanks, altohugh i am not now running any speakers int he dors, now it is aftermarket wiring since we had to run new stuff anyway because of where the speakers are now running, but my previous Australain SQ Champion winning SQ system used stock wiring to the doors.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

The only reason i changed the stock wiring to the doors was i had to run new cable from the boot anyways and couldnt be bothered tracing the in dash tweeters to disconnect them, was a little bit of a pain running it through the boots but a bit of silicone grease and a coat hanger does the trick.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

pyroay wrote:
Stone wrote:
The top SQ car in Australia uses stock wiring into the doors. .

Thanks, altohugh i am not now running any speakers int he dors, now it is aftermarket wiring since we had to run new stuff anyway because of where the speakers are now running, but my previous Australain SQ Champion winning SQ system used stock wiring to the doors.

Haha... I forgot you won 2006. I was actually referring to Rich's (old) car :p

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
And so others are aware just incase your after a 2nd opinion or want to clarify anything or reasure yourself of an intention before u commit to anything u also have myself, Stone, Pyroay, Joolz, cooki_monsta
just to name a few of the frequent Car audio forum junkies who are more than happy to help

I know there are more so plz dont feel left out if I missed u :P wasnt intentional

your so mean Big Kev :( hahaha ;) no worries :P You fellas know what you are talking about.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:58 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Charged Falcon

VIC, Australia

hey mate... ever used or dealt with a "Pioneer DEH-30MP"???

I have one in my NL fairlane n I can't get the AUX to work. I have read the manual over n over again! The option is missing from the menu...

Thanks

Blown EL..
AU2 motor, White, Pov pack, Copy rims, Running 14psi

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

Have you gone into the initial setting first? Most people skip straight to the AUX setting info but don't realise you have to be in the initial setting menu first. Read all of page 31, not just the AUX bit.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Charged Falcon

VIC, Australia

Stone wrote:
Have you gone into the initial setting first? Most people skip straight to the AUX setting info but don't realise you have to be in the initial setting menu first. Read all of page 31, not just the AUX bit.
thanks mate... I feel dumb now. I should have read the whole page n not just on how to switch on "AUX"

Thanks

Blown EL..
AU2 motor, White, Pov pack, Copy rims, Running 14psi

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2