Fordmods Logo

Au head unit removal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Au head unit removal
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 XR8 Manual

QLD, Australia

i have read the instructions on this site on how to remove the au head deck, and i must be missing something because it just wont come out.
once u undo the screws in the ash tray should the facia just clip off, because it feels like it will break if i try any harder. can someone give me more detailed instructions on how to do this. a.s.a.p

Post subject: Re: Au head unit removal
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

dead xr wrote:
i have read the instructions on this site on how to remove the au head deck, and i must be missing something because it just wont come out.
once u undo the screws in the ash tray should the facia just clip off, because it feels like it will break if i try any harder. can someone give me more detailed instructions on how to do this. a.s.a.p

double din or single din? .

the double din head units have 4 holes, two at each side, you need to two old coat hangers, and bent them into shape and push them into the holes, You need to make them a "U" shape.. once there are in, wiggle them about a bit, you'll feel a click then pull the head unit out ... Or you can go to ford, sometimes if they are in a good mood, they'll do it for free ..

But on the AU2 or AU1 with the double din unit, no need to pull out all the ash tray and surround .

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 XR8 Manual

QLD, Australia

double din
tried taking off the facia and it will break if i try any harder

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

dead xr wrote:
double din
tried taking off the facia and it will break if i try any harder

The facia on those is connected straight back to the heater box, so you need to unplug the air/vent controls from the header box,

You don't need to remove the facia to get the headunit out, just as I said before in the previous post, get some metal coat hangers, cut them up into a "U" shape and stick them in the holes at the side of the head unit.

two holes on head side, use the "U" shape on your new 'cut up' coat hanger, put one in both sides, that pushes the locking clips that hold the headunit on place, once you hear the locking clips click off, you will be able to pull the headunit straight out ... If its a tape/radio/cd one, put your fingers into the casstte slot to pull the unit out straight ..

I know this because when I had my AU2 I installed a single din unit in it. my AU2 had the doubledin with radio/cassette/tuner.

If I had one here, I'd take some pics!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]