Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: AU III Wagon sound upgrade
Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford AU III 2002

VIC, Australia

Hey there

I have an AU III wagon

I recently purch'd a pioneer DEH-2100IB head unit. Its in works a tread as its got direct ipod control
It has 4x50w output

Next speakers. The plan tweeters and new 5x7s for the front, put speakers in the rear doors and i have heard of someone mounting subs in under the rear seats. Is that do able??

Im in a band i play drums so gig time the boot/cargo part of the wagon is used to the max. So a sub can't go there.

I dont want to cut into the door trims, can i use different door trims in the rear that already have holes for speakers? What model are they from?

Tweeter placement in the front, can they go in the A-Pillar, what models/brands fit best? Can i purch new a pillar covers that already accommodate tweeters??

An sub placement can it be put under the rear seats?? Who does that?

Thanks for any help anyone can throw my way.

Finally budget aint an issue, if its expensive, means i wait longer till i can do it. But i want to do this, i like music. like to crank it at home, i want to be able to crank it on the road too. Who doesn't???

Post subject: Re: AU III Wagon sound upgrade
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Wagon/ 1967 XR

VIC, Australia

The sub under rear seat doeant sound right, You would have to have a really shallow sub and a enclosure like a pizza box then what happens when someone sits on the seat and it compacts down? I reckon id believe that one when i see it.
I know lots of people put them in where the spare wheels went in the EL's but the AU's dont have that type of fuel tank or hole in the floor.
The speakers in the rear doors are pretty tricky and there isnt a AU which came out with them but it still can be done, and regardless of what anyone else thinks it does sound good!

This is what i did in mine if your after some ideas but it was a bit of work especially getting wires through the rear passenger door rubbers.

MTX 5x7" front doors of head unit, will be adding ford pillar tweeters soon but still sounds really clear and plenty of kick.

Jaycar Responce 5" C Pillar speakers.

First attempt at rear door speakers, Cadence 4"...they fitted well and sounded great untill accidently blew one up cos was running it off amp.

This was the second attempt with some 4" Jaycar responce they tolerate a bit more power and still sound great.

For the rear doors cos i did the interior up as a Ghia, instead of cutting out the origional door trims i went and found a set of stock fairmont ones then swapped all the spear and leather bits over so i still had the origionals if ever had to take them out.
You wont get any bigger than a 4" in the doors unless using spacers but even with the 4" you will have to cut a bit of the door out.
If power windows are in the back it will have to go in that exact position otherwise try and mock up some pods for the bottom but from memory it still wasnt worth it and wont sound as good down that low.
If you have wind up windows you might have more flexability with no motors ect in the way, just make sure when you wind the windw down the glass will still clear the back of the speaker magnet.

Ive just got a 4 channel amp 2 ch bridged for 15" sub and the other 2 channels run the 4" people get in the car and with a dvd on reckon its like a concert goin on which i assume is kind of what your looking for?
Might be more pics in build thread..... cant remember

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD
The parcel shelf also has a hole for an 8" subwoofer I believe. you could get a free air subwoofer and slap the sucker in there

As for speakers, get a good set of either 5x7 or 6" Components and amp them up. Will sound great. if your on a budget dont worry about the rear speakers.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU II Forte Wagon

QLD, Australia

Hey WGN 485, Atonement01 here wanting to know how to remove and fit new speaakers to the C pillar in the wagon as you have done with the Jaycar 5". Thanks Heaps :D

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EBI Wagon & Mass Transit

NSW, Australia

jrloz wrote:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2286&keywords=active+sub&form=KEYWORD
The parcel shelf also has a hole for an 8" subwoofer I believe. you could get a free air subwoofer and slap the sucker in there

As for speakers, get a good set of either 5x7 or 6" Components and amp them up. Will sound great. if your on a budget dont worry about the rear speakers.

A wagon does not have a parcel shelf only the sedans have a parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:41 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

LP_ wrote:
jrloz wrote:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2286&keywords=active+sub&form=KEYWORD

A wagon does not have a parcel shelf only the sedans have a parcel shelf

Haha, agreed sorry!
Bit of a reading fail on my part.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU II Forte Wagon

QLD, Australia

Hey Guys, new to the forum. Wanting to know how to remove and replace rear speakers in my AU II Wagon, in the factory position.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]