Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: au series stereo changes NEED HELP
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 03 Ba XR8

NSW, Australia

hi all
i recently bought a single din dvd unit for my falcon and wanted to know how do i go about installing it into a double din space i know i will need a pocket for the open whole that will be left underneath. but was wondering how i secure it.

thanks

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

I'd like to know this too (I know the thread is a month old).

I've got a fairmont AU with double din player and Ive got my old single din H/U out of the EA. Will the plastic pocket out of the EA fit underneath the H/U in the AU?

In case you don't know what i mean by pocket, it's this thing:

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Can you buy just the pocket on its own from somewhere?

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

jb hi fi sell the au pockets

||EL FAIRMONT||
ALPINE TYPE R 12'S K&N POD SHIFT KIT
2.5"REDBACK MANDRELL BENT
||WANT||
19'S TYPHOON KIT RESPRAY :)

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Bf XR8

WA, Australia

Get 1 from ford. Part number (er 18846 a1) about $22

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

I can't seem to pull the stereo out of my car. I've bought those crap tools off ebay to try and pull it out, but they just keep sliding out. Anyone had this problem? Is there anyway of just popping it out with a screwdriver? I'll give JB a go soon and see if they know how.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

[quote]I can't seem to pull the stereo out of my car. I've bought those crap tools off ebay to try and pull it out, but they just keep sliding out. Anyone had this problem? Is there anyway of just popping it out with a screwdriver? I'll give JB a go soon and see if they know how.
[/quote]

I had the same problem with my car (AUIII), after many hours of trying with the tools and various other methods i had to rip the factory unit out by destroying the face and physically releasing the latches. The latches wouldn't release with the tools because whoever had the car before me tried to remove it and stuffed them, when the proper tools were inserted they pushed the latch outwards instead of in! If you opt for the destructive method don't be afraid to damage the unit, mine was completely annihilated after i was through with it.

And with the single din headunit, mine came with a cradle that you simply bent the tabs over. With the pocket i got from Autobarn (designed specifically for AU dash, cost <$20), it held in perfectly.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

arcpanda wrote:
Quote:
I can't seem to pull the stereo out of my car. I've bought those crap tools off ebay to try and pull it out, but they just keep sliding out. Anyone had this problem? Is there anyway of just popping it out with a screwdriver? I'll give JB a go soon and see if they know how.

I had the same problem with my car (AUIII), after many hours of trying with the tools and various other methods i had to rip the factory unit out by destroying the face and physically releasing the latches. The latches wouldn't release with the tools because whoever had the car before me tried to remove it and stuffed them, when the proper tools were inserted they pushed the latch outwards instead of in! If you opt for the destructive method don't be afraid to damage the unit, mine was completely annihilated after i was through with it.

And with the single din headunit, mine came with a cradle that you simply bent the tabs over. With the pocket i got from Autobarn (designed specifically for AU dash, cost <$20), it held in perfectly.

well your stupid for having to do that.

all you need is a wire coat hanger straighten it out, cut the ends off that twist then cut it in half bend both halfs in half again to for a tight u with long prongs, then stick one tool in each sides 2 holes. then push the 2 tools away from each other (to sides of car) this should push the pins in and pull towards you, does take a fair bit of time but u will get it, took me agesss to do my borthers car, also you can buy the pockets from jb hifi about 11 dollars i think from memory, and just painted it black with vynal paint as he has an xr6

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

this is how iv mounted mine... iv made 2 taps of the top of the bracket (that comes with the head unit) and screwed them in here... holds up the back of the unit up and the front is kept in place bye the pocket... this is how it looks installed... please note these photos make my dash look really s**t... its not i actually just bought new heater controls (the mat black bit)

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

argh pain in the a** headunit... i'm currently changing mine to a single DIN... i have the pocket and all... i just cant get it in there securely. whats the best go (as far as getting the bracket mounted)?
cheers, adam

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

hey adam the pictures above show the best way i have found to keep the rear of the headunit from falling down...

to take of the surround you have to undo undo 2 screws behind the ashtray and 2 screws at the left and right of were the cd player was, then gently unclip the res of the surround and disconnect the heater controls an clock. then mount a cage as shown above...

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

fourL6 wrote:
hey adam the pictures above show the best way i have found to keep the rear of the headunit from falling down...

to take of the surround you have to undo undo 2 screws behind the ashtray and 2 screws at the left and right of were the cd player was, then gently unclip the res of the surround and disconnect the heater controls an clock. then mount a cage as shown above...

cheers!
ended up drilling screwing it into the sides ... just have a little gap to fill at the top.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

fourL6 wrote:

what did u use as a "cage" to mount at the rear f the deck?

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

dw, just re-read ya post.lol.my bad

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]