Fordmods Logo

Audio guys help :( 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Audio guys help :(
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED Futura

VIC, Australia

OK. Im sooo frustrated right now. I just bought a JVC Exad kd avx1 off ebay, installed it and its doing all kinds of weird stuff. Hooked it up as per usual red to ignition, yellow to battery black to earth etc nothing unusual.. The screen is dodge and flickers on and off occasionally, some buttons wont work and the unit will be completely unresponsive and the weirdest of all is that sometimes when the ignition is off and the key completely removed the player will still stay on in its unresponsive state and no buttons will work or anything! Just after I installed my mate was fiddling with some of the wires at the back to make it neater and one of the wires (yellow I think) accidently touched metal and made a small bang noise...would this have f**ked the unit???

"We will rise from chaos to elude this damnation, Hail horror, hail infernal world, better to reign in hell than serve in heaven"

Post subject: Re: Audio guys help :(
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

It sounds like it was dodgy to begin with provided you connected everything correctly :(

You heard a bang that could have been the fuse either the internal HU or the cars fuse on the fuse block.

That's all i can say, wait for others to respond.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:54 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

asizzy wrote:
It sounds like it was dodgy to begin with provided you connected everything correctly :(

You heard a bang that could have been the fuse either the internal HU or the cars fuse on the fuse block.

That's all i can say, wait for others to respond.

Hmmm I checked the fuse on the back of the player and it doesnt appear to have blown, everything else in the car is working correctly? So the bang may have been a fuse blowing somewhere?? Everything was properly connected at the time of the bang. Theres a block on the battery wire, the wires go into it, I opened up the bottom of it and it looks like a copper block of some kind? I dont know what it could be, I can get photos?

"We will rise from chaos to elude this damnation, Hail horror, hail infernal world, better to reign in hell than serve in heaven"

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

There, might be a fuse on the battery wire also....Does the HU power Up. And also have you checked all the fuses in the car?

EDIT: Photos can be of help too.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

One more thing which car are you hooking the HU too? We might have Wiring Diagrams for the Car. This will also be useful to you so you can check if it is hooked up correctly.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:07 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

asizzy wrote:
There, might be a fuse on the battery wire also....Does the HU power Up. And also have you checked all the fuses in the car?

EDIT: Photos can be of help too.

Yeah head unit powers up, but really struggles and is so bad its not even worth turning on..Ill go and and check the fuses and take a photo

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Could it be a bad earth? Bad earths can sometimes do funny things. It'll be a bit hard to tell now, as it seems its shorted itself (yellow memory wire to battery touching bare metal would of shorted the circuit and blown a fuse somewhereas asizzy mentioned).

That little block you are talking about on the battery wire, where exactly is that located? Are you talking about on the yellow wire you used to connect the headunit to the battery? If so im guessing it may be a fuse of some sort. Photos would be helpful indeed.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:51 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Could it be a bad earth? Bad earths can sometimes do funny things. It'll be a bit hard to tell now, as it seems its shorted itself (yellow memory wire to battery touching bare metal would of shorted the circuit and blown a fuse somewhereas asizzy mentioned).

That little block you are talking about on the battery wire, where exactly is that located? Are you talking about on the yellow wire you used to connect the headunit to the battery? If so im guessing it may be a fuse of some sort. Photos would be helpful indeed.

Well the JVC headunit I had hooked up just before this one worked fine on the same earth wire no dramas. The car is an ED but is running complete EL wiring throughout so it may as well be an EL lol. I checked the fuses in the fuse panel and theyre all fine, fuse in the back of the headunit is fine so im not sure!

heres pics

After having pulling apart the black box I have no idea what it could be??

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I think that's a capacitor, did it come with the HU?

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:32 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

yeah it was attached like that to the yellow wire. It looks like a big spindle of copper wire.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EF Falcon

SA, Australia

it looks more like a transformer, (not some crazy robots) it may increase the voltage or decrease it. in most cases increase. screen flickering could be that you havnt grounded the "hand break" wire which is on most dvd units. but im not too sure about everthing else...... i know on my ef i needed to use a capacitor to maintain even flow of power because it was f*@king up my dvd screen. you could try that..... but yeah not really too sure.

Falcon Build http://www.fordmods.com/post1285079.html#p1285079

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

Seems you're in a bad way.

1. That black box is basically a filter. The thing inside is a simple transformer - not doing anything but smoothing out the spikes in your power. H/U will work without if it had to (but keep it).

2. The short could have blown a number of things.
Could still be a blown fuse in the cars fuse box (kick panel or under the bonnet?). Sometimes they don't look blown.
Check that your yellow and red wires are still working by either using a multimeter OR a car lightbulb connected from the coloured wire to the black wire.

3. Check the wiring diagrams for the car and the headunit.
Could you have the red and yellow reversed? i.e., I've seen (and couldn't believe) car audio gear which had the red and yellow reversed - so you needed to connect the H/U yellow to where you would normally connect the red. You get the idea..

Subtle but high quality audio system.
Alpine processor and amp / Focal Utopia splits / Soundstream Exact sub

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Where did the yellow wire short to? IF the yellow wire touched metal casing of the head unit with the earth attached, you may have burnt something internally which could be costly.

If the yellow wire broke off and touched the car chassis, then your head unit is fine and a fuse must have blown somewhere else.

Was there a burning smell after the bang?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF Fairmont AU Falcon FG XR6

VIC, Australia

i gotta ask how did you wire it up

did you cut the oem plug off and attach wires with elec tape

pin the oem plug

or use a wiring harness

My Fairmont