Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Automatic Parkers??
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

sing out if you get stuck... Few steps to it... But reasonably straight forward if you attack it in parts... Just don't do what a lot of people do and forget parts...

So simple relay circuit from accy to earth (two wires)
pick up int light wire and hook to one contact in the above relay (one wire)
run from relay to a 1N4004 diode (the non banded side)
Join the banded side to the coil pin that switches to earth at the back of the park relay
Place 1N4148 diode backwards across coil wires on park relay (band to the positive wire)

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Ahh, much clearer now! That would be fairly easy for me to do.
Yea just take my time...

1 more question: What resistor do I use?

cheers

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You don't need a resistor? Why do you say that? :?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
You don't need a resistor? Why do you say that? :?

Cheers,
Tim

s**t! sorry. I ment to say what RELAY do I use.

Seem to be getting those two mixed alot lately... :/

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

spare relay out of a wreck? one you have laying around... various brands swap the pin numbers for their functions... always check the picture and compare pin numbers... This is for the extra one you need to add in you are talking about?

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I'd suggest you go the auto headlight path.
You can get the jaycar switching kits (around $20 from memory) with LDR, I modded the headlight switch with an extra 'Auto' selection - the kit gets power from the power window relay (behind the fuse panel), and it's earth from the headlight switch selection as mentioned. The kit controls a relay which simply controls the earth line for the low beam/parkers. Add a relay which is earthed by the cent locking unlock line, this momentarily connects battery power to any accessory power wire.
The kit will fit under the fascia panel that covers the RH tweeter speaker.

So, when 'auto' is selected, headlights come on whilst driving, when enough darkness (kit has a trimpot for this). Park car, switch off, get out, lock car - lights go out after 40secs.

Unlock car in car park - headlights come on, open door, headlights go out after 40secs - obviously come back on whilst starting. The relay that momentarily feeds power to accessories energises the power window relay which will stay on whilst doors are closed, and will turn off after 40 secs when a door is opened.
This should give some ideas.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
spare relay out of a wreck? one you have laying around... various brands swap the pin numbers for their functions... always check the picture and compare pin numbers... This is for the extra one you need to add in you are talking about?

Too easy. yea this is for the extra 1.

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
You can get the jaycar switching kits (around $20 from memory) with LDR, I modded the headlight switch with an extra 'Auto' selection - the kit gets power from the power window relay (behind the fuse panel), and it's earth from the headlight switch selection as mentioned. The kit controls a relay which simply controls the earth line for the low beam/parkers. Add a relay which is earthed by the cent locking unlock line, this momentarily connects battery power to any accessory power wire.

So, when 'auto' is selected, headlights come on whilst driving, when enough darkness (kit has a trimpot for this). Park car, switch off, get out, lock car - lights go out after 40secs.

Unlock car in car park - headlights come on, open door, headlights go out after 40secs - obviously come back on whilst starting. The relay that momentarily feeds power to accessories energises the power window relay which will stay on whilst doors are closed, and will turn off after 40 secs when a door is opened.

Really? didn't know there was a kit. Sounds like it might fit the part. Timing and everything. But I did prefer the idea of the lights coming on when i opened the door. Would it be possible to combine both ideas?
Anyway, did you have any problems with the headlight reminder beep? or did you disable it like tim said?
Also, would it be possible to see a pic of your custom head lamp switch? I was thinking something along the lines of that too but didn't know how to go about it.

Thanks

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Can't quite get my head around it snap...

Yours is completely unrelated to anything the BEM does? This 40sec timer is in the LDR kit? You are also tapping into the door switch to get your power window delay? Sounds flash but I am missing something simple by the sounds because I'm seeing wiring everywhere in mind for this... :? And without being familiar with the kit and its outputs and logic it's a little unclear... If it is indeed simple... Sounds great...

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

snap does it again! Might implement this in my spare time..

hey tim, in ELs (not sure about EDs) the power window buttons have a ~40sec delay (that is you can still use them for 40sec) from when you turn your ignition from accessories to off which is where I think you may be confused as I'm not sure if EDs do this? By using a relay to "sense" when the car is unlocked from the BEM, he is using this relay to ground the coil to the power window relay so that it closes. After a moment, it goes open again and the power window relay will stay closed for 40sec if that makes sense. If the headlight switch is in auto (grounded) and the power window relay is closed (12v) the parkers will remain on, after the 40sec the 12v is opened and they turn the parkers off.

hey snap, i quickly tried to find the kit you bought but couldn't find it. Only saw the DC Relay Switch Kit. Is it something you modified yourself or is it a kit? I haven't looked that hard, it is a bit late at night now..

maybe easier and cheaper to design own pcb with pcb mounted relay sockets

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Sounds flash but I am missing something simple by the sounds because I'm seeing wiring everywhere in mind for this...
Nah, wiring's simple if you mount it where I've mentioned, best to attach the kit to the dash fascia and have a small wiring plug if that fascia has to come out.
One wire goes to the PW relay(12v), another is earth (tap off h/light s/w wiring), the other goes to h/light s/w for light control.

Yeah, Drone's got it nailed how it's setup. Only drawback at night if you unlock the car, and then lock and go away is the headlights stay on because no door has been opened - but then this feature was intended for you to find your car in a crowded carpark and go to it.

Kit is KG9090 - around $25, put it together and away you go - you don't need the 12v plug kit.

Big part is modding the light switch - there is enough room for another selection between off and the parkers.

Attachments:
BILD0226.JPG
BILD0226.JPG [ 167.14 KiB | Viewed 265 times ]
BILD0225.JPG
BILD0225.JPG [ 123.19 KiB | Viewed 247 times ]

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

The switch looks factory, love it. How did you go about it? Did you just get another switch with 5 selections instead of 4?
What did you use for the AUTO symbol?

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Very impressive as always snap... Makes more sense now yes... The draw back you mentioned, you picking up off a door switch in the circuit to are you? The door switch is controlling one part of your circuitry? Or is this another feature of the EF/EL Bcm I am unfamiliar with?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
The draw back you mentioned, you picking up off a door switch in the circuit to are you? The door switch is controlling one part of your circuitry? Or is this another feature of the EF/EL Bcm I am unfamiliar with?
Nah Tim, the EF/EL BEM's use the door courtesy lt s/w's for the 40 sec timer.
TheELghia wrote:
The switch looks factory, love it. How did you go about it? Did you just get another switch with 5 selections instead of 4?
You have to dismantle the switch and mod it - this means the wiper arms, take a bit off the inside casing walls to give you the extra travel and another indentation for the spring loaded ball bearings to slot into, and mod the cct card - not too hard with a dremel with a ball burr.
TheELghia wrote:
What did you use for the AUTO symbol?
Letraset letters - they are scraped down with a scalpel under a microscope to correct thickness - otherwise, they look just added on. Then couple of thin coats of clear acrylic to protect.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:

This has indeed given me ideas!! :). However mine is a GLi at heart, and I have no intention of fitting power windows to her. Is there anywhere else I can get the power feed from? Can I use the interior lights circuit or is that not strong enough?

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next