Fordmods Logo

BA premium sound amp 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: BA premium sound amp
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon BA

NSW, Australia

Own an 05 BA without premium sound and wanted to keep things as stock as possible.

Picked up an amp from a premium BA system and was wondering what kind of specs it had (rated power @ Xohms etc).

Will be using LOC's from the rear speakers -> RCA's to the amp, replacement headunit is not an option.

Just concerned about having to unplug the car battery as I don't have the code on hand and it will cost a pretty penny to acquire it from Ford (again: damn cheap b@stards :evil: ).

How would I go about powering the unit? I'd rather avoid having to unplug the battery,

EDIT: Further reading lead me to finding out what the wires to the phone input were for:
Black = ground
Black & Yellow trace = accessories 12v
Green = mute
Yellow = constant 12v

So would I be able to power the amp directly from this using the accessories and constant wires.
REM -> acc
Batt -> constant
Ground -> chassis

Any help appreciated cheers.

Side of the amp with RCA input, speaker outs and power connections.

Post subject: Re: BA premium sound amp
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:03 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

mattyBA wrote:
Own an 05 BA without premium sound and wanted to keep things as stock as possible.

Picked up an amp from a premium BA system and was wondering what kind of specs it had (rated power @ Xohms etc).

Not sure exactly that one looks very different to the one I got in my BF. You don't get much though.

Quote:

Will be using LOC's from the rear speakers -> RCA's to the amp, replacement headunit is not an option.

Just concerned about having to unplug the car battery as I don't have the code on hand and it will cost a pretty penny to acquire it from Ford (again: damn cheap b@stards :evil: ).

There's no code to worry about. The ICC learns the serial number of the BEM, and only cops out if you change on or the other. Power loss won't hurt it.

Quote:

How would I go about powering the unit? I'd rather avoid having to unplug the battery,

EDIT: Further reading lead me to finding out what the wires to the phone input were for:
Black = ground
Black & Yellow trace = accessories 12v
Green = mute
Yellow = constant 12v

So would I be able to power the amp directly from this using the accessories and constant wires.
REM -> acc
Batt -> constant
Ground -> chassis

Any help appreciated cheers.

Side of the amp with RCA input, speaker outs and power connections.

Pic looks nothing like what I got. Mine has no RCA's, and only powers the sub (with about 30W lol)

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:10 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon BA

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
mattyBA wrote:

There's no code to worry about. The ICC learns the serial number of the BEM, and only cops out if you change on or the other. Power loss won't hurt it.

Hmm the reason I'm concerned is when I originally owned an EL and when the battery died on that I had to pay for the code. That's a nice change :)

data_mine wrote:
mattyBA wrote:
OP

Pic looks nothing like what I got. Mine has no RCA's, and only powers the sub (with about 30W lol)

Hmm might be from an AU then, either way I'm not fussed it was cheap as dirt and will be plenty for what I need.

Seeing as I won't have to worry about acquiring the code I'll go ahead with a standard install, using the phone acc wire for the rem line of the amp.

If anyone else wants to add anything it'd be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:57 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Looking at the brown fuse on it (7.5A?) the most you'd get from it is 90W (assuming 100% efficiency :lol: )

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]