Fordmods Logo

BA stereo install wiring options 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA stereo install wiring options
Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

So I know it's probably been answered before in vague terms (I did find something once but can't find it again!)

I've got the facia and the headunit for a single DIN unit below the ICC, but my query is how did everyone go about getting it all wired up? I assumed I'd be able to access the speaker wiring right there behind the ICC but I've read about people being advised that place to tap into that wiring is behind the drivers kick panel? And add to that power and accessories, the cut lighter will probably work for accessories and again I assumed I could get constant from the ICC, but other people have been saying use the constant from the aux/phone input next to the fuse box.

Now that's a lot more wiring than I had expected or planned! So is that my only option or did you guys do something different?

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan
Cold Air Intake | Sequential Scoop | Pacemaker 4480 & 2.5" Exhaust

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Post subject: Re: BA stereo install wiring options
Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey Dude,

OK, to get ACC power i used to the cigarette lighter and ran a new lead from the battery for power. Then i just grounded it to the body of the car. But with the speaker wires, i just ran new ones. For me it was easier than trying to figure out what to splice into, the door trims take 5 minutes to remove and you can run the wires under the dash pretty easy, just cable tie them to whatever you can find to keep them away from your feet and youd never know.

The hard parts is getting the cables through the doors, if you want that done properly you will need to splice into the factory wires behind each kick panel, there is a post on the forum somewhere for that. But i wouldnt bother trying to find those speaker wires under the ICC, youd have to remove the whole thing to get a proper look.

Good Luck,

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate,

Don't know if I can really be bothered running a lead from the battery if there is one under the steering column anyway + I will be running new speaker wire....when I mount a new amp in the boot. In the future I'm planning on having an 4 channel run the 4 speakers and a mono for 1 or 2 subs all set up in the boot, so the plan is to run new wiring from the back into the front so it would be a bit of a waste of time running new wires only to heavily modify them later on!

But thanks for your info on the speaker wiring from the ICC, I was hoping they'd be accessible but not luck i suppose!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

In short:

- all the power connections you need are easily available from the phone/aux plug. They're NOT easy to get at from the ICC.

- Those that say get the speaker wiring at the kick panels, are those that are running amps - and are too lazy to run the wires through to the door.

I have run wires through to the doors, a 16ga figure 8, and a 20ga figure 8 cable into each door. There is sufficient room between the white connector blocks and the black clip (that locks the connector block into the body). But it is a C*** of a job. Easily took me about 4 hours each door + many bruises and cuts.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Ah s**t! I was talking myself into wiring new through the doors! But I have no where near 4hrs each door!

I can't tell though with what you're saying data_mine - the reason they go in at the kick panels is because they are running amps - so are you saying that because atm I'm not running amps the speaker wiring is accessible from the ICC?

And thanks for confirming the power from the telephone plug question!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:49 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

fowlerj wrote:
Ah s**t! I was talking myself into wiring new through the doors! But I have no where near 4hrs each door!

I can't tell though with what you're saying data_mine - the reason they go in at the kick panels is because they are running amps - so are you saying that because atm I'm not running amps the speaker wiring is accessible from the ICC?

And thanks for confirming the power from the telephone plug question!

Getting at the speaker wires at the kicks is nice and easy, and when running speaker wires from the boot, makes more sense too.

Getting them from the ICC isn't as easy, but if you're wiring from a head unit makes more sense.

Only run wires into the doors if you really need a more heavy duty cable to the speakers, or you have another need to. I've done it because, there's 4 of the 8 speakers up front in the doors. Woofer in the factory location, and super tweeter on the mirror triangle. The mid range and tweeter are on the a-pillars. So I need two separate cables into each door.

Or you could cheat, like I did for a bit: Image
*note not a good idea, someone stepping on the sill could cut the cable on the sharp metal work underneath.

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:51 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

If you will be running amps in the future, I recommend getting the wires from the kick panels. Save rework later on, and it's easier to work on.

If you need it I can look up the colour codes for you when I get home.

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I have run wires through to the doors, a 16ga figure 8, and a 20ga figure 8 cable into each door. There is sufficient room between the white connector blocks and the black clip (that locks the connector block into the body). But it is a C*** of a job. Easily took me about 4 hours each door + many bruises and cuts.

I admire your patience man, i gotta tell ya after 4 hours of me trying to get that in, there wouldnt be a door left. I tried for about an hour an gave up and just went around it, didnt use the factory loom cuz those wires looked piss weak.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:21 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Fairmont_03_5.4 wrote:
data_mine wrote:

I admire your patience man, i gotta tell ya after 4 hours of me trying to get that in, there wouldnt be a door left. I tried for about an hour an gave up and just went around it, didnt use the factory loom cuz those wires looked piss weak.

At first I thought it was impossible (hence my 'cheat' above), but after being reliably told it was possible - but not how hard it was the guy I was talking to forget to mention that part, I gave it a go.

Hardest part is getting the wire through convoluted rubber seal, then putting it back in place. Once you've got it through (I worked for the door into the cabin), it's easy just pull it through - it slides nicely. Getting it started was the hard part.

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Cheers data_mine, I guess I'll have sus it out when I'm in there and see where's the best place to access them!

I have the colours of the wiring from a workshop manual, but not which is pos or neg. If you know which is pos or neg that would be an awesome help lol!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:32 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Each pair has a wire with a black trace/stripe, that's the negative.

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Holy s**t - what an onslaught of wiring! Multiple wires with the same colours too!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Ok data_mine

I ended up giving up on getting the wires from the ICC, I had the whole thing out and was sifting through all the wires and found some of the colours but then there were other wires in there that were the same colour aswell. Add to that that I couldn't trace any of them back because theres no room....

Decided that I will probably just rewire the speaker cables except for the fronts. Will make it easier for soldering and later adding an amp etc. But I kind of need a quick hand from you - would you be able to tell me if you remember which one of these plugs has the speaker wiring in it? I basically tried searching the loom that runs beside the driver for colours that match the speaker colours in my manual but couldn't find any, yet the wires that physically connect to the speakers in the back match perfectly!

And if you could confirm these are the colours Im looking for-
RHF - Grey/Black - | Grey/Green +
LHR - Orange/Black - | Orange/LG(whats 'LG'?) +
RHR - Blue/Black - | Blue/Red +
LHR - Pink/Black - | Pink/Green +

Pic

Its been a massive jump from the EB!

Anyways thanks for you help!

Cheers,
Jacob

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:29 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

FR Grey/Green, Grey/Black
FL Orange/LightGreen, Orange/Black
RR Blue/Red, Blue/Black
RL Pink/Green, Pink/Black

The front right goes through connector C50 (drivers side kick panel, the orange one in your pic)
- The grey/black will be one of the corners in the connector (call it top right), the grey/green will then be bottom, third from the right.

All the rest through connector C396 (passenger side kick panel)
- orange/black and orange/lightgreen will be in the middle row on the left side
- the blue set will be nearby
- as will the pink set bottom row at left.

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Wow s**t thanks mate!

That makes my life a million times easier!

Cheers,
Jacob

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next