Bad bad engine noise! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Bad bad engine noise!
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2006 BF Mk1 XR8

NSW, Australia

G'day folks

First post here, hopefully you guys can help me out as im absolutely stumped on this one.
Sorry in advance for the long post, but this has been a pretty bad ongoing problem :P

So basically i've got an aftermarket sound system installed in my 2006 BF MkI XR8 (with Premium Sound). It consists of

Front 6" Pioneers (3 Ways)
Rear 6x9 Pioneers (3 Way also)
2x12" Pioneer Subs (400w RMS each)
1 4 Chan Pioneer Amp and 2x Sony amps for the Subs

Also has a Aerpro Summing interface (fancy Line level converter, 8 channel thing with remote head for 1 channel, individual gains, and can sum multiple inputs into a single channel).

Everything works beautifully except for my HORRIBLE ENGINE NOISE ><

This engine noise only occurs on the AUX input (and to a lesser extent the phone/media input), the Radio and CD Player are dead silent on the random noise front. I have an AMP aux cable not the low volume one off ebay

I've been chasing this for so long im really just tired of it, it makes listening to my ipod impossible and i do 2 hours (~100km's) driving a day to and from work.

Now i've done the little ford service bulletin thing with the joining of the earths, i've even moved the earth straight to the body, also to the middle of the dash closer to the ICC, no difference.

I can confirm the noise is not picked up on the AUX cable end (the part you buy and plug in behind the fuse box) as i can ground out the AUX trigger wire with nothing else connected the noise is still there.

Not too long ago i had a diode blow out in my alternator (which i thought was the source as when i originally got the car and bought the aux cable it was really clear, then slowly over months the noise crept in, then we found the dead alternator which killed the alternator whine in the AUX cable instantly (whats left of the whine it overridden by everything else :()

I've made a little video of the noise (Tried to attach it here but won't upload so i stuck it unlisted on youtube - See it here http://youtu.be/MqxpRFYcP7E )

I figure the main noise sources are
1: Dash Lights/Parkers - Mainly the rheotat on the dimmer, it isn't shown in the video but when you dim the ICC screen (with the parkers off) the noise appears in the AUX input too, i blame the rheostat rather than the dash lights them selves
2: Engine - Mainly seems the be injector noise? Can't be sure, only there when engine is running. Little bit of alternator noise there too but faint
3: ICC/Body module, getting random repeating noise and blips, sounds like its circuitry noise from the computers
4: The interior lights (again Body module?) - Turn them on/off via the button on the ICC, it makes a noise

Half way through the video i hit the system mute button (on the external head), which leaves just the factory tweeters and sub connected (as i havn't changed these to work off my amps, still straight off the ICC as factory, and the noise is still coming through those so the noise is unrelated to my system/amp setups)

Could the dead alternator possible done some damage electrically elsewhere? Is there a noise suppressor somewhere on the car/motor that could be blown or damaged ? (i know the 6's have one under the intake manifold, does the Boss 260 have anything like that?). Could it have damaged my Dash/Rheostat or damaged the ICC/Body module somehow? Maybe the ICC has a cap or suppressor in it thats blown?

Any ideas that people can throw out would be great, unfortunately i don't have another ICC or Dash to try out in the car (Programming is not a problem :)), ive been right through the car checking earths, basically pulled half the dash out looking for problems (didn't find a broken heater mix shaft :P), really frustrating.

Cheers for any help :)

ps, Youtube video is here - http://youtu.be/MqxpRFYcP7E - incase you missed it in the post :)

Post subject: Re: Bad bad engine noise!
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2006 BF Mk1 XR8

NSW, Australia

^Bump^

Does no one have any ideas? Nothing at all? No ones seen or heard of this much interference before?

I've pulled my ICC back out today and pulled it down (as per a guide i found for adding RCA outputs), i can see the 2 solder joints for the B+ and GND connections and they look a little funny compared to the rest, possibly a dry/broken solder joint? Maybe the earth is broken and its earthing back through the ICC casing or something? Multimeter sez theres no problems but who knows what it does under load.

Also thinking of running a thicker earth from the dash earth point (next to the icc) to the actual car body incase its a bad earth through the dash supports. Does anyone know where the ICC, the Instrument Cluster and the Body Control Module actually earth out on the car?

I've got not idea, i can't even tell if they're actually broken or if im just hoping they're broken, really just grasping at straws here, as soon as i get a hold of my soldering iron (later today) i'll resolder the joints (and a few others), slap it all back together and see what happens.

Let you guys know how it goes (even though once again it seems no ones interested :()

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

Hey mate was the system put in professionaly or by a mate / yourself? Id put subs into my au series 1 I used a speaker to RCA input type connector as the stock system doesn't have RCA's by tapping into the speaker wires ( L+ L- R+ R- etc. but couldnt use one of the inputs as everytime I'd plug it in it'd make a loud continuous humming sounded horrible but was only the wiring wasn't quite legit so possibly you have a ground or a connection problem somewhere? It's a bit strange but if it happens mostly on aux there's where the problem is

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

Were any factory plug blocks hacked/spliced into? I'm leaning toward a ground issue um I wouldnt have wired the ground to the dash mounts being thin metal but to the actual body of the car somewhere. Double check all fuses in amps wiring and the factory fuse panel also. Check where the wires go into your amps etc. May be corrosion somewhere ? Other than this I'm stumped haha

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]