Fordmods Logo

Best Double DIN Headunit? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Best Double DIN Headunit?
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

The premo sound system in my EL has had it, its possible to fix but i need parts from another premo ss, which no one seems to have. (i'd like to fix it though)
If i can't get the part, just wondering what would be a good 2 din replacement for it? any recomended brands?
Iv been looking at some on ebay, anyone had any experience with them?

Cheers

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Post subject: Re: Best Double DIN Headunit?
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What bits do you need. I will be selling my Factory Premuim SS from the Fairmont in the very near future.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
What bits do you need. I will be selling my Factory Premuim SS from the Fairmont in the very near future.

Brett

Basically the volume and mode knob component. If i get that then it will work perfectly. I doubt you'd want to pull your headunit appart though..

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TheELghia wrote:
The premo sound system in my EL has had it, its possible to fix but i need parts from another premo ss, which no one seems to have. (i'd like to fix it though)
If i can't get the part, just wondering what would be a good 2 din replacement for it? any recomended brands?
Iv been looking at some on ebay, anyone had any experience with them?

Cheers

ive just fitted a JVC KW-XR416 in my AU after the premo 6 stacker lunched itself. All i wanted was a simple replacement to have music again, but it surprised me how much better it sounds now than the original unit !!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?LH_Pr ... p=15&_sc=1

ive since ordered a monoblock amp, 8" boston sub and wiring kit for only an extra $350, i cant wait to see how much better i can get it sounding by leaving the rest of the speakers standard

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

why not get a decent single din head unit with the standard insert underneath it?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
ive just fitted a JVC KW-XR416 in my AU after the premo 6 stacker lunched itself. All i wanted was a simple replacement to have music again, but it surprised me how much better it sounds now than the original unit !!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?LH_Pr ... p=15&_sc=1

ive since ordered a monoblock amp, 8" boston sub and wiring kit for only an extra $350, i cant wait to see how much better i can get it sounding by leaving the rest of the speakers standard

Thats not bad! I might consider that, but im also thinking of a dvd kind of headunit as well. so much choice.

GeZza200 wrote:
why not get a decent single din head unit with the standard insert underneath it?

Nah i prefer to keep it double din for looks as well as being able to have more options

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

I just found this on ebay, Its a phillips so im not sure about the quality but it looks great!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILIPS-CED1 ... 27bfc22996

What is everybody's thoughts on this?
Also is there a way to hook up the factory CD stacker to an aftermarket head unit, or should i say is it possible?

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TheELghia wrote:
Thats not bad! I might consider that, but im also thinking of a dvd kind of headunit as well. so much choice.

id be prepared to spend a alot more then if your going the DVD/touchscreen route. From experience Phillips has let me down, and ive found the budget models from Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC to even be more reliable

http://www.ryda.com.au/Car-DVD-TV-Audio ... e-s/18.htm

Ryda might be $20 dearer than ebay, but you get a legit tax invoice that you need when/if claiming warranty, and ive found that if paying by credit card/paypal it takes as little as 24 hours interstate post as i found last week !!

Quote:
...Nah i prefer to keep it double din for looks as well as being able to have more options

agreed........ event though aftermarket single din units are generally more feature packed for the same price, they just generally look crap in the dash. Most mid spec cars built in the last 10 years comes with a double din system dont they?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
id be prepared to spend a alot more then if your going the DVD/touchscreen route. From experience Phillips has let me down, and ive found the budget models from Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC to even be more reliable

http://www.ryda.com.au/Car-DVD-TV-Audio ... e-s/18.htm

Ryda might be $20 dearer than ebay, but you get a legit tax invoice that you need when/if claiming warranty, and ive found that if paying by credit card/paypal it takes as little as 24 hours interstate post as i found last week !!

Shame, that head unit looked perfect for my needs.
I'll have a look. It seems i have a choice between Alpine, Pioneer, JVC and kenwood...

Quote:
agreed........ event though aftermarket single din units are generally more feature packed for the same price, they just generally look crap in the dash. Most mid spec cars built in the last 10 years comes with a double din system dont they?

Yea true, it looks wierd having a shelf under your head unit. A nice 2 din looks the biz!
Yea basically. All the corollas, Mazdas, mitsubishis etc all have double dins as standard now. a fair few are built in like the BA too now.

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Been searching around and came across this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clarion-NX50 ... 43abb83a19

Looks great, but I have no idea if it would work here (maps, RDS etc). They do sell this unit in Australia but it costs $2000! Thats f**k ridiculous! I hope there is some way to convert the US unit to Australian specs. That would be gold! BTW has anyone experienced one of these?

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

what about this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170720897430 ... 1438.l2649

only concern is if iphone playback/charge is possible

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DL LTD

QLD, Australia

I bougth mine from ebay from http://stores.ebay.com.au/mwmrech2009?_ ... 4340.l2563 its a cheapo chinese unit that does EVERYTHING...had it for over a year now and it hasnt missed a beat...also got a call from china on a friday night after i requested more cables to make sure i was happy with the purchase. these units run mostly on windows CE...kinda like a scaled down version of windows for portable devices and the gps runs on IGO maps, totally updatable and comes with aussie maps. Iphone playback and charge is possible. You can use BT to playback but obviously not charge. or plug it in to play and charge. happy to take some pics of it if you want. But after spending rediculious amounts on a few other popular brand name units in the past id go one of these all the way

Lets just pretend I give a s**t and leave it at that.....

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

ACT, Australia

I'm a big fan of Alpine, been using their headsets for years. I've been trying to convince the wife to put their new double DIN DVD, Nav, Bluetooth unit in my unit, but at ~2K she's not that keen. Had a play in my car audio store and it looks the goods! Apart from all the usual MP3/WMA/AAC goodness, it can play DVD over USB and output to headrest screens if you've got kids.

http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=188

Dodgey EL Fairmont - stock as a rock | '03 Hilux, lifted and locked
My car photography on Flickr

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 97 el ghia

NSW, Australia

[quote="Landau510"]I bougth mine from ebay from http://stores.ebay.com.au/mwmrech2009?_ ... 4340.l2563 its a cheapo chinese unit that does EVERYTHING...had it for over a year now and it hasnt missed a beat...also got a call from china on a friday night after i requested more cables to make sure i was happy with the purchase. these units run mostly on windows CE...kinda like a scaled down version of windows for portable devices and the gps runs on IGO maps, totally updatable and comes with aussie maps. Iphone playback and charge is possible. You can use BT to playback but obviously not charge. or plug it in to play and charge. happy to take some pics of it if you want. But after spending rediculious amounts on a few other popular brand name units in the past id go one of these all the way[/quo
I've been thinking of buying one of them too, still no problems ? and at $160 who could go wrong... how long did postage take ?

my build thread

the-garage-f53/maso-s-el-fairmont-ghia-build-t112744.html

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DL LTD

QLD, Australia

Hey Maso, yup still going strong....mine was round about 300.00 inc postage which took 3 days from memory. The customer service from the link in my post was second to none so if you are going to get one I would stick to them.

Lets just pretend I give a s**t and leave it at that.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next