Fordmods Logo

Best way to connect MP3 player to BA Ford ? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Best way to connect MP3 player to BA Ford ?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I have just bought a Ford BA Mark II with standard sound system. I want to play MP3s. Are my choices to run either an IPOD type device thru the AUX lead, or install a complete MP3 CD player in the tissue box and connect thru the AUX lead (from behind the fuse box). Any advice helpful. Also seems Ford sell two leads from AUX plug - one about $30 and one with preamp ? for about $100. hich to use ?
Phil :)

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

I just bought an FM transmitter that plugs into the headphone socket on my laptop or any other audio device that has a headphone socket. Its battery powered (lasts around 6hrs) or can be powered/charged via USB or cigarette lighter. I got it from Di ck Smith for about $60 and it works well even up to 15mt from the pickup device. I got it mainly for my laptop so at parties i can play tunes from laptop through my car system.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

in my experience nothing beats an aftermarket head deck i have my alpine in the tissue box holder and the only problem i have is that i have to have the car in neutral or drive to eject a cd. but if your not a fan alpine have a unit which integrates itself into the standard ford system as long as you get the premium console you're all set for mp3's

only problem is cost$$

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

in the company car (magna) i just use a eBay $20 FM transmitter and it works fine and doesn't need battery's (plugs in to the cigarette lighter

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:25 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2003 XR6 Ute

WA, Australia

get Ford dealer to install AUX plug and cable. much better sound quality than fm transmitter, easy to do yaself but im just lazy... cost i think 160

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

Avoid the fm transmitter idea if possible, the ipod through the aux lead would be the easiest option especially if your happy with the rest of the system...

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

theres a pdf document stating how to make the cable on one of these fourms. i made one for my ba ute an works great, all for about 4.50 i think an easy to install.

u need the length of shielded 3 core wire to where u want the connection to be, some 2.5mm spade terminals an a 5cm single core cable, an one stereo headphone socket.

connect the 3 core cable to the socket, put spade terminals on the end, connect it to the white connector behind ur fusebox, try find the article of which spades go where into the plug, an the 5 cm cable just spade each side of it form a u with it an connect it to the ground input n sense input to the same white connector, ull have to find the document once again to find out which are which,

the stereo has a negative, left+, right+, ground, sense, the ground sense detects the cable fitted so u can turn the aux option on

Soon to be the finest Sounding BA Ute

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

deemon wrote:
get Ford dealer to install AUX plug and cable. much better sound quality than fm transmitter, easy to do yaself but im just lazy... cost i think 160

holy crap! i hope ur talkin bout the amplified one..... im lazy but seriously, the lead (non-amplified) cost me $27 from ford, u lay under ur dash plug it in and route it around to the tissue box holder....not the hardest thing to do...

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:07 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

If you're happy with the sound of the system as is. get the AUX lead (amped one is best), and an ipod (or something better).

If you're not happy with the sound of the system (I wasn't), full aftermarket is the go. I've added a DVD HU, all new speakers and wiring, two amps, sound deadening, and more. Worth it to me, as the stock (even premium system in the GT-P) sounded s**t to me.

edit: There is however a middle ground. While upgrading, I had a time where I'd replaced the stock speakers, while still using the stock HU, the speakers made a significant difference to sound quality. For many this may be enough, if they're happy with the features of the stock ICC.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]