Fordmods Logo

Boot install 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Boot install
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Ok so thinking bout doing a boot install and replacing all the speakers in the car basicly what i have so far is a 450W amp, a set of decent 6x9s and a enclosed 12" sub dunno how many watts.
basicly what i want in the end is to have 2 12" subs enclosed in a single box running and amp off each sub, and then putting the 6x9s in the parcel shelf and putting some 6" speakers in the front doors, and am thinking bout running a sub off them aswell.
anyway now you all know what i want to do what sort of speakers and subs do you guys recommend i buy and do yous think that that would be a decent set up?

Post subject: Re: Boot install
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

personally im going one very good mono block(alpine type x v power) for the two sub's(12' type r). this has ,any benefits over 2 separate amps

a 4 way amp(cadiance 4x100w) for the front and rear speakers. with type s 6" at the rear and type r6" splits at the front..
dont bother with 6x9 at the rear, to much mucking around getting them to fit and the sub's will make more then enough bass having 6x9 over 6 is pointless

for me this seems to be the best way(both brand and set up) to go about it..
hope that helps

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Yep id be looking into a set up like what 4dlvr is going for..

Speakers/Subs
Some good 6" splits up front
Some decent 6" coaxials for the rear
Your choice of 12" sub/subs

Amps
Mono block to run your subs
4 channel amp to run your front splits (and 6x9's if you want those)

If you want 6x9's, id maybe think about chucking them into the boot install like a few others have done on here. So if you have your sounds cranking with your boot open you wont just hear all the bass - ive seen one guy on here who put 6x9's in pods underneath the bootlid which looked alright. I think Mongoose also had 6x9's in his boot install, mounted on the walls inside the boot - looked good too.

EDIT: Wouldnt have a clue on which brands are best, but from the speakers ive listened too, i quite like Alpine gear. Alpine Type R splits sound mint when they are amped, to me when i listened to them in a mates car they sounded a touch to harsh on the tweeter side from where i listened to them but they were crystal clear and had good mid-bass so i think i may be looking at a set of those (if not Type S) for the front stage in my EF when i get round to doing a proper audio install. Type S's arent too bad either, they have a lower rms than Type R's and are a bit cheaper.

As for subs, Alpine Type R subs go well, had a listen to a 500rms 12" one which was amped off a matching rms mono-block amp and mounted in a custom box made to manufacturers specs and it pumped hard.

In the end its probably best to go and listen to different sets of speakers, and sub and amp combo's and see what you like best.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:37 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

ok then i got spacers for the 6x9s too fit in the rear but was told that it was better to have the same speakers in the front as there are in the back? dunno how true that is.
if i created a big enough sub box would i be able to mount the 6x9s in the sub box aswell?
i was thinking about just having a wall built in the boot because i have LPG aswell and then mount the subs in that and have the amp sitting in the middle.
ive sort of talked to a fella about this and he said it could get pretty expensive, mainly because i dont have much of a clue about boot installs so id have some one build the enclosure for me, making it a bit more expensive.
anyone got any tips?

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

don't mount the 6x9 in the same box as the sub's, the vibration and sound waves from the sub will make the 6x9 sound like pooh..

its not essential at all to have the same speakers front and back..

yes if your not doing the work your self it will get very expensive, especially considering you want the quality of set up to compliment the good quality audio components..

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

4dlvr wrote:
don't mount the 6x9 in the same box as the sub's, the vibration and sound waves from the sub will make the 6x9 sound like pooh..

Spot on. 6x9's and subs do not mix at all, especially in the same box - the bass waves cancel each other out and just sounds weird. IMO id only use 6x9's if i didnt want to have a sub.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:06 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

ok then didnt think it would work very well
i know a mate who said he could get the boot install done pretty cheap so i might have a look into that only thing ill have to do is get a quote from autobarn first so that i can bust his balls a bit :P

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]