Fordmods Logo

Boot Installation, Materials 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Boot Installation, Materials
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey all,
well its this time of year where i've finished uni, starting fulltime job for 3months,...and have alot of time to "play"
Im thinking of going a boot installion soon, but need some ideas of where to get materials, ill post some pics up of what it looks like, and future plans soon,
and hopefully put a build up thread soon.
-A cheap place to get MDF wood
-Boot carpet to cover wood
- Perspects plastic (to cover and view fans & neons)
-Cables and Wires to hook up fans and neons

Hopefully i'll get this done soon:)
- Ash

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

You will be surpised how much of the stuff you will find at spotlight.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Umm I'm probably not much help since I am from the Northern Suburbs. There is a place in Campbellfield on Sydney Rd which sells really cheap (the price...not quality) DIY stuff. I buy my MDF stuff from there all the time and usually pay no more then $50 bucks for all the MDF I need with various thicknesses. They also cut the MDF for you if you have measurements.

Try your local Weekend market for maybe some cheap carpet? That's where I get mine...if not try Spotlight, they might sell cheaper carpets then Autobarn or something.

Perspex I am clueless.

Cables and Wiring you can get from d**k, Jay Car or any other electronic stores. Power cables and such you can get from JB-HiFi or something...they usually sell them for cheapish...especially if you buy a whole heap they can cut the price down. Wiring tends to be cheap so anywhere any electronics store really.

Hope that helps.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

wood, Dahlsons
carpet, clark rubber
wires, any electronics store
perspecs, dont bother, it scratches too easy, you should use glass instead like i have, look below for a pic of mine with glass

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks guys for the tips, really helps when someone gives advice,
wow! awesome boot install mate, clean as , and you can still fit your shopping bags in!,
Your measurements wouldn' tbe the same as for a NL Fairlane would they?, I want something exaclty like that setup, except the amps mounted in the same spot, but at a different angle,
What did it cost you to do that in materials? and what glass bits and pieces did you use?
cheers
- Ash

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

there is a thread on its installation a few pages back in this forum

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

read that whole thread!, very nice setup mate, did you say you used 3mm glass for all windows? or for the amps only and 6mm for the subs?
Just have a few questions,
- Where'd u get the charcoal carpet from?
- How did you stick the glass to the wood frame?
- What on earth that all that material cost you:S?

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: WRX

Power: 132 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Southy, that install looks f**k tops mate.

Im jealous. Mines only half done. (has been for 9 months now lol)

Car Killer.

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU Futura

VIC, Australia

Um just wondering, the glass does look better, but how does it handle being that close to the subs, i thought when the subs had a fairly decent output the glass would crack? im not too sure ive just had windows shatter on me.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok, sorry for the late reply....

All the materials minus the Audio gear only set me back 200 bucks or so, The glass is actually 6mm thick and its a special Tuffened Glass made in melbourne, took 4 weeks to come in the mail :P, so its not a normal type of glass, to stil the glass onto the face i had to first of all cut the hole out of the box i made, router around the edges, and apply a special Contact Cement / sickiflex to keep it in place, then i simply carpeted around the side to hide the glue traces, The carpet i used i purchased from Clark rubber and cost $30 or so.... i just used contact cement and a staple gun to hold it all together, The staples were always put in places that are not visible to the eye

Dyno as stated above, normal glass under that king of pressure would crack for sure, thats why i opted to go with the bulletproof stuff, and it hasnt budged, rattled or cracked a single bit, its fantastic stuff....

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks for your info southy,
Where abouts did you get the glass from?
and was the glass on the amps and sub box mounted from the font (ie; the glass wasn't put behind in the inner part of the box and glued?),
im planning to do an installation EXALCTY like yours, execpt the amps faced on an angle instead of right up to the glass (hope you don't mind me copying),
- Ash

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Southy wrote:
ok, sorry for the late reply....

All the materials minus the Audio gear only set me back 200 bucks or so, The glass is actually 6mm thick and its a special Tuffened Glass made in melbourne, took 4 weeks to come in the mail :P, so its not a normal type of glass, to stil the glass onto the face i had to first of all cut the hole out of the box i made, router around the edges, and apply a special Contact Cement / sickiflex to keep it in place, then i simply carpeted around the side to hide the glue traces, The carpet i used i purchased from Clark rubber and cost $30 or so.... i just used contact cement and a staple gun to hold it all together, The staples were always put in places that are not visible to the eye

Dyno as stated above, normal glass under that king of pressure would crack for sure, thats why i opted to go with the bulletproof stuff, and it hasnt budged, rattled or cracked a single bit, its fantastic stuff....

There is nothing special about toughened glass southy, most places that sell glass sell a mix of toughened and annealed (not toughened) that they get from their supplier (i know all of this as i work in the Glass industry, at Pilkington Glass) and toughened glass will only break easily if you hit the very tip of the corner of the glass

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah, just coming from small town, the glass place couldnt do it or something, so we just gave dimensions to a company in melbourne and they sent it down

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Where abouts in Melb was it?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]