Fordmods Logo

boss gear help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: boss gear help
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

wat do you guys reckon of boss gear, strathfield has a 1000w 4 channel boss amp for $180, and 12" boss subs 1000 capacity for $70

Sub http://www.strathfield.com.au/ViewProdu ... rodID=1000
Amp http://www.strathfield.com.au/ViewProdu ... ProdID=320

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

I have the same amp, and I don't mind it at all! its not bad to begin with in the first part of the car audio stage, untill you explore further down the track. The amps don't like to be on for a long time, as they cut out to cool down after 45 min of punishment.

Boss subs can be abit iffy. One sub that I bought from Strathfields is SoundStorm (12 inch) they are'nt lazy at all!!! and they sure can pack a punch! Tomorrow I'm buying another Soundstorm 12 inch sub for my system, and ditching my other Sony sub, as it's dying after only after 8 months. And funny enough, the Soundstorm sub that I allready have, beats the Sony sub by miles! (Geez sony have gone down hill). What amazed me about the Soundstorm 12 inch sub is it is very cheap for the sound it gives. And its made in the U.S.A and not in china etc...

"Ford" any other machine is just a car!

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

you're considering buying boss? you need help, mental help, and LOTS of it

pure s**t, and that's being kind

Banned

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

lol

on the back of a super cheap auto catalogue they had err, *looks for it*

hm, now lookign at it, ad seems kinda misleading lol

brand is "rampage"

ad reads
12" subwoofer twin "NEW" 800 WATTS Each $249

its a pictured all ina box with 2 subs, id assume its a package?

anyone know of these?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:58 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Okay then, I'll give you some real world experience. I have one of these BOSS "1000W" amps. First of all their RMS is only like 60 odd watts. 2nd, for all the s**t people give them, I have had one for over 18 months now, no problems to mention. Had it in my excel running a 12" Jensen and some pioneer splits. Its Currently in the EF sedan, running the sub only. And it thumps, I can actually feel the base and the windscreen mounted rear view shakes on the beats. Not sure about it dying after 45mins, I have had the thing pumping (the excel didn't have air con, so driving the highway in summer, it was windows down), from Sydney to the mid-north coast, never had any issues.

So in summary, while they are cheap, and not the greatest thing in the world, they do do the job.

But remember, equipment is only 60%, its the install that makes up the rest. My friends had about $4K worth of gear in his lancer. Did the install himself when he got the car at 17 years old. I rode in it the other week. When he pulled up at my place, I showed him the system in the excel and he said, "Its all cheap s**t, won't sound good at all", then he got in and I started it up, he was amazed, then asked me to re-install his system. Now it sounds ten times better.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

go over to www.caraudioaustralia.com and ask around, there are a few installers there that will tell you exactly how bad the boss gear s in terms of reliability...... 99% of them fail on a regular basis, occasionally one slips through that will take a bit of a beating..... but generally the quality isnt there

Banned

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:50 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

I believe there is much better value equipment available in a simmilar price rage that will outperform and outlast BOSS.

US audio, Jaycar range the cheaper range of Earthquake gear is excellent value. I would really stay away from BOSS.

Jaycar make a build into the box amp that delivers 240rms at 4ohm and 290rms at 2ohm, is compact, has some handy features (phase adjustmewnt, built in HP & LP crossover which is variable and only costs $180. I qwould highly recomend this unit over BOSS audio.

I have a Response dual voice coil, doubble stacket magnet sub rated for 250rms in excellent condition i'll sell for $150 which works perfectly with the jaycar amp. I can arrange the amp and send the whole lot to you if you'd like. That would be a good value upgrade with plenty of punch for $330, and much more reliable.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i have to agree with the last fe posts, BOSS gear is the pure essence of s**t in car audio equipment. have done quite a lot of installs and covering most generic brands from top to bottom. Boss has failed everytime. I actually had one catch on fire when i was tuning it, running at all recommended specs. took it back sent it off to be looked at under warrenty hardware fault. got money back and advised customer to buy elsewhere, is now really happy he did. Ihave since assisted him with a second upgrade and his sysem does wonders. I completely agree with pyroay, for the price Jaycar is your best bet.personnally i would not put boss or any other of the low name strato brands in my car even if you paid me to

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

simple rule of thumb. you get what you pay for. its a generalization but one that u can pretty safely stick to.

Boss isn't all its cracked up to be, you'd be lucky to get 1000WRMS out of it when lightning strikes the terminals as it bursts into flames...

2003 BA XR6T 5spd Manual PHANTOM
Custom Leather, 20" Kaotiks, Lowered, Exhaust, DVD System, BOV
Plenty more to come!

Member: Team Can't Stop The Doof Doof

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:33 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

aphexer wrote:
........... you'd be lucky to get 1000WRMS out of it when lightning strikes the terminals as it bursts into flames...

You'd be supprised how few amps actually produce 1000rms of clean, distortion free at 12.5volts.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

i can think of a few, if you want to pay $2-3 per watt rms :p

BOOSTED

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

pyroay wrote:
Jaycar make a build into the box amp that delivers 240rms at 4ohm and 290rms at 2ohm, is compact, has some handy features (phase adjustmewnt, built in HP & LP crossover which is variable and only costs $180. I qwould highly recomend this unit over BOSS audio.

I have a Response dual voice coil, doubble stacket magnet sub rated for 250rms in excellent condition i'll sell for $150 which works perfectly with the jaycar amp. I can arrange the amp and send the whole lot to you if you'd like. That would be a good value upgrade with plenty of punch for $330, and much more reliable.

would this be able to power a 15" fusion sub?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]