Fordmods Logo

Cant get my new Kenwood HU to fit into my 96 Falcon EL! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Cant get my new Kenwood HU to fit into my 96 Falcon EL!
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hey everyone,

Ive done quite a few searches on the forum, and found out some great stuff so thanks for that!! I have a couple of questions if someone could please help out :

(a) My new kenwood CD HUnit, wont fit properly in the steros slot. I have taken the factory HU out, and tried jamming the new unit in the hole with the spikes out- the unit is a just too small to fit which is no good. I then thought I would take the brackets off the factory HU and screw them onto the new head unit - that doesnt work as the unit is still too thin to reach the screw holes on the dash. I then thought I would glue the brackets to the outside of the new HU metal 'sleeve' and then try and jam this in the dash. This is now too wide and if I do this , then my new HU wont fit in the sleeve as its a tad small!

Any suggestions as to how I get the new Hu to fit securely in the dash??

(b) I am also trying to install a new pair of friont speakers in the doors - but I cant get the door panel off!!! I have taken out all the screws (i think so anyway), inc the door handle, window winder, auto mirror button, but the panel seems to be stick up towards the wiindow for some reason. I have tried to pull up with force, and it kind of half comes off, but not enough to pull the whole panel off so I can install the speakers.

Any suggestions?

I apologise if this has already been discussed!!

Thanks very much,

Simon

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

Once all the screws have been removed from the arm rest and the door handle it is a matter of pulling the door trim upwards at the window but be aware that the door lock button will restrict the amount of travel so don't go at it like a gorilla.
Re the head unit if the headunit is too small with the brackets attached try some washers to pack out the brackets some ....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Post subject: CDs skipping in Kenwood HU whichb I have just installed??
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the reply outlaw!

Door problem is fine now - I just wasnt being brutal enough. As for the HU, I didnt want to drill new holes in the actual deck, so I glued the metal cage against the factory ford metal bars. Seems to be a good hold, and everything is working great now..........

Except, for when I go over a bump on the front wheels, or put my brakes on (my brakes are a little shuddery).

My CDs are skipping when I do these two things (Radio is fine though)!!!! Do you guys think it's just a matter of adding some foam somewhere against the cage when I re-glue it to the metal bars in the dash??

Cheers

Simon

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

don't use the cradle,
drill a hole in the factory bracket and screw in a flush screw.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Doesn't the head unit have any mounting holes? It would be very strange if it doesn't. My Alpine's mounting holes didn't line up but it was just a matter of drilling new holes in the mounting brackets, don't drill the headunit it's self you will void any warranty if you do.
Is the headunit solid once it is all screwed in?

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

The unit is realy solid now with my makeshift cradle gluing technique!.......

Driving to work this morning highlighted the fact that it's happening with the radio as well - it keeps cutting out when I go over a bump or put the breaks on (as with the CD as well).

Ground wire perhaps??

I'll re-do the mounting this weekend like you suggested and drill holes in the brackets.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 94 Futura

WA, Australia

If the thing is glued in solidly it should be fine. If it is solid you run the risk of damaging it anyway try to remove it. I glued the Ford ears on to mine with Devcon and its fine.

Most Head units come with a seperate earth tag or bolt. As aftermarket units can draw 5 or 6 amps more than the factory items you should provide a good earth as well. If there is a flying earth lead from the units connector naturally it must be earthed as well and again preferrably not through the factory harness.

When the unit playing the radio cuts out on bumps do the dial lights go off too?
Assuming they do go off, remove the ashtray and surround and check all the connectors. If you find the the wires are only twisted together and taped over flog the installer.
Any way you should be able to localise the fault very quickly by moving and or tapping the head unit and wires with the radio on when you are stationary.

Good luck.
C

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The problem could be any of the ground, ignition and power wires, go over your connections and make sure that they are all nice and solid. It could be any one of these three....

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Commando wrote:
When the unit playing the radio cuts out on bumps do the dial lights go off too?
C

No, the power is solid, just the sound. I'll re-check the gnd, ign & power wires again and see if that helps!

Thanks for everyones help

:D

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Are you using an external amplifier or do you have speakers connected to the head unit?

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

outlawxr6 wrote:
Are you using an external amplifier or do you have speakers connected to the head unit?

Just connected to the Head Unit. No ext amp.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

mmm interesting, there is definitely no flicker in the illumination of the deck when it plays up?

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

outlawxr6 wrote:
mmm interesting, there is definitely no flicker in the illumination of the deck when it plays up?

Im pretty sure there isnt, but I will double check tomorrow in the morning!

Cheers

Simon

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

If it doesn't flicker and you lose sound through all 4 channels on both radio and cd then it would look more like an internal fault...
But do check the 3 connections that I mentioned before...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]