Fordmods Logo

Car aerial stuffed 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Car aerial stuffed
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hi, recently i found the electric aerial was going up midway and wasnt going back down when the car turned off, so im guessing the little motor is stuffed (?).

Anyway doesnt concern me, so i thought i'd cut the wire from the back of the cd player which gives the signal to the aerial when to go up and down, whilst leaving the antenna cable plugged in the back..... hoping to have the radio working without having the stuffed aerial being permanately left up.

But now i have no radio signal even though the aerial is physically plugged into the cd player. So how can i bypass this antenna control signal to have the radio working without having to fix the antenna motor

Am i making sense here?

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

have you tried cleaning the aerial.
when they get dirt in the joins they seize up.
mine wasn't going all the way down so i cleaned it with a rag and some degreaser. washed it clean then sprayed some silicone spray (with a rag to catch the overspray) and now it works perfectly, just like a new one. :?

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Post subject: Re: Car aerial stuffed
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Hi, recently i found the electric aerial was going up midway and wasnt going back down when the car turned off, so im guessing the little motor is stuffed (?).

Anyway doesnt concern me, so i thought i'd cut the wire from the back of the cd player which gives the signal to the aerial when to go up and down, whilst leaving the antenna cable plugged in the back..... hoping to have the radio working without having the stuffed aerial being permanately left up.

But now i have no radio signal even though the aerial is physically plugged into the cd player. So how can i bypass this antenna control signal to have the radio working without having to fix the antenna motor

Am i making sense here?
Are you running the std fairmont aerial setup with half height switch ??? If so it may just be the switch is in the half height setting.
You'd probably find the easiest option is replacing the antenna mast - Aeropro AP6 masts will fit the ford units. With the mast removed, you can test the motor by applying power to the two wires.
Have a read of http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=69 as well.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Thanks for the advice guys, will try and clean the aerial first, but really would like to know if i can make the radio work without having to have the aerial move up and down if all else fails cause im broke :oops:

Nice tech doc too

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

NP. Well what you can do is try to manually pull the aerial to full height while it is winding - then disconnect the two wire plug near the front of the ECU (remove the kickpanel).

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]