Fordmods Logo

carputer 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB S1 3.9L Bush basher

WA, Australia

Hey, yeah, where can I get one of those 12v psu's. Also is the battery in your boot just a spare or do you have it connected, if so how? Is it true that better alternators are available so that more electrical systems can be ran? If so, does anybody know where they are available? I have heard that putting the CPU in the boot means that the distance ofcabling required to put a DVD drive in the dash is too far and so it will not work, is this true and also how about for a screen, how long can the cable be from the CPU to the screen. Will a standard bluetooth dongle be strong enough to have bluetooth throughout the whole car (if the CPU is in the boot). Also how do you cool your computer, I was thinking of running a pipe and a fan from outside the car, or would this be unneccesary? Thanks

I dont care how fast your car is, mine goes faster through the bush.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hey, yeah, where can I get one of those 12v psu's. Also is the battery in your boot just a spare or do you have it connected, if so how? Is it true that better alternators are available so that more electrical systems can be ran? If so, does anybody know where they are available? I have heard that putting the CPU in the boot means that the distance ofcabling required to put a DVD drive in the dash is too far and so it will not work, is this true and also how about for a screen, how long can the cable be from the CPU to the screen. Will a standard bluetooth dongle be strong enough to have bluetooth throughout the whole car (if the CPU is in the boot). Also how do you cool your computer, I was thinking of running a pipe and a fan from outside the car, or would this be unneccesary? Thanks

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

So many questions lol, I'll try to answer a few for ya, box to cd/dvd drive must be a relitivly short distance, we are talking lik 2 feet would be stretching the limits. I have seen ppl use fire wire cables to extend the reach, but really thats just stupid, if your that keen get a usb external unit and hack that f**k up to fit. bluetooth yeah it'd be heaps strong, strong enough for someone behind/beside you to anoyyou by toothing ur system.

Most carputers will live in your boot and remain a happy little computer for years to come, in summer some ppl just add extra fans or fold their seats down, alternivly steal some of the air con from ur backseat passengers and run that into the boot, but if I were you I'd wait till I needed to do that before I bothered, computers will take a bit of heat just fine, and most will shut them selvs down when it gets too bad.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

stomper wrote:
Where do you get the 12V PSU Units
That would be from here - http://www.switchbox.com.au/product_info.php/cPath/3_7/products_id/43?osCsid=49c84cfc88ec4b83bd0e52fac06a62d8

willygrice wrote:
Also is the battery in your boot just a spare or do you have it connected, if so how
I have it connected like this

willygrice wrote:
I have heard that putting the CPU in the boot means that the distance ofcabling required to put a DVD drive in the dash is too far and so it will not work, is this true
Yes that is true. If you want the DVD in the dash, with the CPU in the boot, you will have to have an IDE to USB converter. The USB will go that distance but the IDE will not

willygrice wrote:
how long can the cable be from the CPU to the screen
My cable is 6 metres long and there is no problem

willygrice wrote:
Will a standard bluetooth dongle be strong enough to have bluetooth throughout the whole car (if the CPU is in the boot)
Not sure, I don't have bluetooth

willygirce wrote:
how do you cool your computer
basically, if the temperature is OK for a human, it is OK for a computer. If you were shivering your a*** off, or the interior was too hot for you to get into the car, then you shouldn't be using the carputer

Panda

Car - Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, Pioneer front speakers, Fusion Subwoofer, Centre Muffler removed
Carputer- P3 966MHz, 256MB RAM, 200GB HDD, 300W PSU, MP3, DVD, Sat-Nav, Digital TV Tuner

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

at $209 for a car psu i think id rather engineer my own, but yea glad to see a company has made one, i was designing one back when i had my old car ... during my tafe engineering classes, it would have workd 2, just the lack of a job stopped me :D anyhow i might get back into this project i have all the parts i need - the power supply that is :P

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sounds great cooki monsta, have been talkin with a mate of mine about this, he reckons that all is needed is a bit more than a few resistors, please keep me posted of ur progress including instructions and diargrams, that would be great if you could do that, thanks

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if you goto mp3car.com there are detailed instructions for making all this s**t.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

anywhere in particular cos mp3.com is a huge site

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

correction mp3car.com is a huge site

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

use their search, look for sproggy PSU, I think thats what its called, been many a year since I've been in there.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

alright, will give it a go

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

hey yea u needed alot more then a few resistors
basically it was a series of voltage dividers or doublers and dividers to get the 12v rail to drop or increase to any voltage rail found inside the computers psu :P

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

have fun cooki =D it was fun putting my mates one in and if you come up with a nice way of hiding all the wires to make them look pretty....please tell me so i can pass it down to him. so far we have half the wires covered under the carpet...the rest is still exposed. kinda weird.

good luck and have fun =D

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2