Fordmods Logo

Control music through ipod when it's docked 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Control music through ipod when it's docked
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2009 XR6 FG N/A

QLD, Australia

So here's one that's been getting on my nerves for a while.
When I plug my ipod into the dock I can only control music through the center console.
This becomes a massive pain when I need to scroll through lots of songs because I have to use the volume dial thing to scroll.....
Is there a way to force the ipod to have control?
I'm considering going to Ford about this.

If I can get it to work I'll be getting an ipad. Much sexier interface than standard head unit :D

2dads XR6 FG Build

Post subject: Re: Control music through ipod when it's docked
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

ipad - everything an ipod can do, just its bigger. well worth the price tag. so by plugging it into the dock i guess you mean the ipod connector in the centre console? if so then the control is passed to the icc screen and steering wheel controls, as you should be looking where your going and have your hands on the wheel rather than fooling about with an ipod.

if you really want to pass control back to the icrap sorry ipod, use a 3.5mm jack plug patch cable to connect to the aux socket in next to the power source/cigarette lighter. switch the icc to auxillary and control via the ipod.

im wondering if your tooling about with an ipod/icrap/overpriced mp3 player while driving, wether mr plod might think its a phone and pull you over and fine you though

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

of course the other option is to put your songs into folders on the ipod such as folders by artists, or musical style. narrows down the scrollable amount, making searching easier.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

Yes I mean the built in ipod dock cord.
Yeah I've thought about the headphone jack option but I didn't want the extra cord.
I want to mount the ipad in front of the icc screen, make something up so I can take it on and off.
That way I'm not fooling around with a tiny iphone while trying to drive.
Want the ipad control because that way I'm spending less time with my eyes off the road, I want to make finding the right songs/ playlists quicker and easier.

Looks like my only option is the headphone jack and a cigarette lighter recharger :/

Also all my songs are set by artist and albums. It takes more than 5 minutes constantly scrolling through the artist list using the volume dial in the icc

2dads XR6 FG Build

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

perhaps try further grouping those folders. like perhaps create a folder called rock with all your rock songs. and inside that have folders for letters of the alphabet, with artists sorted into. (eg acdc in a, metallica in m) would cut down search time

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

Heh heh I have playlists for different genres, artists or even just a bunch of songs that I think are good.... Even though that makes simply getting to a song I like pretty quick, it doesn't solve my problem of wanting a particular song or artist.
Which was why I'm looking into ipad, because it's nice and big and actually looks kinda decent.
Two taps on the screen and I've found what I've wanted.
As opposed to, look down hit button, look up, look down scroll, look up, look down select scroll some more, look up....... :/
I'm gonna talk to Ford week after next when I have some money again, so I'll report back what they say if I remember too :D

2dads XR6 FG Build

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

actually come to think of it there was a cable for sale i saw on ebay a little while back. was able to charge ipods and play the music too at the same time, but was designed for an fg. will have a look for it again....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]