crossovers in EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: crossovers in EF
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

G'day
I'm running a Pioneer head unit,Pioneer speakers on the parcel shelf,Focal 5 channel amp in the boot,Focal subwoofer on the back seat,and i'm putting in some Focal 6 1/2 inch splits up the front.
1.Where is the best place to install the crossovers? ie: up the front somewhere near the speakers (but where would you hide them?),or if i consealed them in the boot near the amp,will it make much difference(ie : length of wiring resistance,etc)
2.I've seen some threads somewhere about crossover settings for heavy rock,loud techno and full on doof doof music,but anyone got any thoughts on which settings would be ideal for listeneing to a bit of reggae?
3.Wher have others found the ideal locations for the tweeters as theres a few possibilities?
a.factory location (which is less than ordinary)
b.take out the side mirror control knob and put them there
c.in between the two sunvisors on the roof
d.in the air vents
e.or just mounted on top of the dash?
4.Anyune got any pics of various installations?
It's a long thread,but saves time writing numerous threads.
Thanks for your input and thoughts guys

"STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN or HIGHWAY TO HELL!"

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:01 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I installed my crossovers under the arm rest in the front doors.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

I put mine in the map pockets in the front doors. I put them upright so you can see them and the brand, but you cant see any wires.

Crossovers dont have settings as such, but most do have an extra slot which is -6 or -3db. If you're installing in a falcon chances are you'll leave it on the normal setting.

Also the factory location for tweets is pretty good. You can file out the grill leaving larger holes, and if you have angled tweeters then you can tilt them toward the opposite seats headrest, or a bit higher if they hit the dash.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

After lots of testing in my El I found that the factory position is rubbish for imaging (right is bright and left almost non-existent) and way too bright as the tweeter will reflect off the windscreen due to the close proximity of the glass. I found that small trim behind the mirrors with the tweeters facing each other gives the best balance but you will need to drop the output a little, but you want to use Focals so I would run them on the lowest setting that your crossovers allow to dull those overly bright harsh tweeters back a bit.
As for crossovers, you can mount them where ever they fit the easiest and just run the wiring to the speakers.
I have 3 sets of speaker wiring running from the boot to the doors as I run my splits actively....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the input outlawxr6
Do you mean running actively as in two tweeters into channels 1 & 2 in your amp,and the mid bass speakers into channels 3 & 4?then set up high pass filters on channels 1 & 2,and lo pass filters on channels 3 & 4?

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah something like that....

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Just read youre reply mate,my mind is a bit fuzzy after seeing the 'roons have a pounding on game 1 of state of origin,but will try it out and let ya know!
thankls mate

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Do you have power mirrors in yours? My sail panels are blank which should make it easy and my tweeters came witha surface gimble mount which makes it easy to get the right angles to get the best sound.
I looked at mine yesterday and remembered that the drivers side faces forward and up and the passenger side is fully on axis.
I had a PRO listen to it recently due to looking at an upgrade and his comment was that the imaging was solid and balanced.
Another store tried to sell me Focals but after soma comparisons I found that my 8yr old Kef's sound smoother and less harsh than the more expensive K2's.....
You can never ever go to a metal dome tweeter after a good set of silk domes...

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

i found the crossovers go really nicely in the EF/ELs sitting above the headunit, under the centre aircon vents. Fits like a dream, and nice and easy to wire in.

i put my tweeters on the cowl panel under the windscreen and right in the corners. if you go to the thread in my sig, i think you'll find there is a pic in there. i used pyroay's tute and pointed the tweeters at the opposite side head rest. the image it makes is crystal clear and directly in front of you when you sit in the seat.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]