Custom Boot Install 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Custom Boot Install
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BF MKII Xr6

NSW, Australia

Good day guys,

A mate of mine wired up two subs for me to a monoblock. Used a dual sealed box bought from a shop. The problem now is, if I need the spare I'll have to disconnect the subs take the subs+box out just to get to it.

After browsing the Show and Tell topic, I figured a custom boot install would be a great way to solve this. I'm only new with cars audio systems as such, but seems to be a fair few people on here that have awesome ideas.

Materials used I guess are mdf (suggestions on mm?), carpeting, glue, jigsaw, and cardboard for templates, anything else that I should be getting? As I said I'm new to all this and will take any advice I can get.

Have a great day.

Post subject: Re: Custom Boot Install
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Also does http://www.crutchfield.com/S-J8jEzrwQ8d ... lding.html sound right in building?

If so I will probably end up building 3 "boxes", one for each sub and a free sealed box in the middle that will probably have a cutout for the amp and holes to run the leads. Then just gluing all the boxes together and carpeting them.

Then probably just get mdf for the floor and have a trapdoor hinge opening for the spare tyre, carpeted of course.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

strength is the key when building a box
i didnt see anything in there about bracing the box (its strength adding and will help prevent just one on the pieces vibrating so the whole box will vibrate instead of just a few pieces so you will be able to have the sub louder without it distorting as easily)

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Ok cheers, what do you mean by bracing?

I'll prob get a 2nd hand sub and make a box just to test.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Check out stevemeadedesigns.com for information on how to build a proper box.
Bracing is not important unless you're pushing serious air. Build it out of 15/18mm mdf and it'll be fine.
Are you going ported?
Port size, box volume, box layout, corners all affect how a sub will sound. Remember you want the air to move as smoothly, easily and quickly as possible to achieve optimum bass. Very similar to an exhaust. There should be no sharp 90 degree corners. I normally resin all corners and internal edges to achieve the smoothest finish. Port design (depth, width, round or square, area) has the biggest effect on spl.

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Probably just sealed, I'll have to research some more as to which one I would prefer. Really thinking about it just so I can get to the spare easy.

Cheers for the replies.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]