Fordmods Logo

Custom Directed Audio Install...Finally Started!!!Pics!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Custom Directed Audio Install...Finally Started!!!Pics!!
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Ok, for those of you that haven't heard anything about this.

A mate and I car planning/doing a fully custom install into his 2004 corolla.
People have expressed their interest in this so I'm posting step by step photos and things like that.

This is the equipment we plan on using.

Head Unit: Undecided, could be going DVD.
Front and Rears: Directed CSX650 Splits.
4CH Amp to power those: Directed A1004
Subs: 2x 12" DVC Directed SX series.
Amp to power subs: D2400 Directed Monoblock. 1200WRMS
Each amp will have a 4Ga wiring kit, both of these kits combining into a 2.5 farad capacitor before going their own ways again...

Now, the boot will be completely custom. The Floor will be re-made and have a flap with struts so accessiblity to the spare wheel is kept. However, the 2 amps and the cap will be in a false floor that can still lift up. The subs will be directly behind each tail light in custom enclosures.
Once this is done, the amps show through the flase floor and be covered in glass. A few 120mm fans will keep the temperature to a minimum. And to make things even more different, every surface will either be see through (glass or perspex) or will be fibreglassed and sprayed gloss black.

That gives you an idea on what we planned. For the last week we have been working one of the enlosures, probably the hardest bit as they look like this before glassing:

One of them is finished apart from the hole for the driver and I will post pics of it all later today...

Stay Tuned...I'm willing to answer and Qs you have on anything....

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1984 XE Falcon

VIC, Australia

nice!

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

OK, here goes.
This is what we've done so far...
1 Sub inclosure is complete apart from sub hole and connection plate hole.

It hasn't been glued yet as it will be pulled apart to make the other box.

Here are the pics:

Yours Truly on the Radial Arm Saw:

Matty on the belt sander, making pieces fit:

After the First Day of Work (all the easy pieces are in, harder angles to be done later):

Me putting the final pieces together:

The Finished Box in the car:

We are Sexy b**ch, Yeah!

Next step is to make the other box, and then glue both of them together along with sub and connection plate holes.

Stay Tuned!

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:07 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Looking good and comming along nicely.

I would have thought it eaiser to make the box out of fibreglass but your way is working fine too.

Interested to watch it progress.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Fibreglass eh?
Well its a bit late now, but my thoughts would've been that glassing would have flexed too much, hence why we made it out of MDF then we will glass over it.

All the angles weren't too bad, just that most joins needed to be done on the belt sander because plain butt joints wouldn't fit.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:01 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Fibreglassing sub boxes requires 7-8 layers to maintain strength and then they can be VERY strong. Of course all that glass is expensive.

Ahh sanders, the answer to all wordworks little mistakes...

Very handy tools...

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Strength and deflection under load are two different things tho. With that many layers, would fibreglass still flex?

Another issue was resonance due to standing waves, but I'm not too concerned about that.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

every box has a resonant freq, ur driver will have an optimal res freq, around 20 to 30 ish, and you try to build the box to replicate that, but in saying that the driver has a q factor which damps the resonant freq so u dont get the freak loud resonants being louder then all other frequencies being playd.

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I was more worried about the resonant frequency of Fibreglass over MDF. either way, seeing I'm more experienced with mdf then fibreglass, this ended up being the main reason why the box is MDF first and fibreglass second. Also, makes volume calculations much easier.

By the way, new volume calculations bring us to pretty much 25L spot on. This is exactly what we needed so I'm excited to see what the subs sound like.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ok, well today I was at the wholesaler to swap an amp over for uglybob when I decided that it was time to get one of the subs to see if all our calculatiosn were correct and that it fits in the box.

Anyway, here are photos of the subs.

I feel that its a pretty good looking sub, basic but still looks classy.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

omg this thing looks insane, makes me wanna do my boot :( just gotta wait for funding ... damn money tis the root of all drama...think about it, u kno it is

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:47 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

so where are ya gonna have the amps, in like a perspex block that lifts with struts to reveal the spare???

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR6T

NSW, Australia

looking the goods!! cant wait to see it finished...

hopefully you do fiberglass over the top to match the contures of the boot, and 'morph' it. Would make it look extreamly custom and show quality. By ensuring the mdf is fully sealed before doing cosmetic glassing over the top, there wont be much of an issue with sub volume. (although ive been told sand can be easily used to correct volume..?) While FG can be extreamly tough with multiple layers, if the MDF is the strong base, you will only need a layer or two for looks.

If you enjoy building stuff like this, google some fiberglassing tutorials online, because its dead set easy, and shouldnt cost much and is great to learn ;)

(for my magna first fiberglassing attempt (many moons ago) see below. Go the fluff :P )
http://deebyrne.com/sell/sub2.jpg
http://deebyrne.com/sell/sub5.gif
http://deebyrne.com/sell/IMGP0573.JPG

I will be looking at doingsomething larger ,but a similar layout to what you have planned in the near future, so keep updating;)

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The basic idea is to have a full false floor setup where the amps sit in the middle and are only covered in perspex. However, the gas struts will be able to lift the entire midlle floor up to expose the spare and jack.

Although I don't know too much about glassing, the other guy I'm doing it with is always fixing his surfboard so he knows enough. That and his dad knows even more.

The whole boot will be fibreglassed. This includes the contours so that no metal or felt will be showing.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]