Fordmods Logo

Dead Alternator in EB. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Dead Alternator in EB.
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Mazda Astina

NSW, Australia

Gday guys, My alternator has been dying for a while (lights dimming, volt meter erratic dropping and rising etc) and well I think it has finally reached its last days.
I upgraded the ground wires in the engine bay and it didnt really affect it at all but the other day I bought a new deep cycle battery (optima d34) with 750cca and it sorted it out for a little while...... until this afternoon.

At idle the volt meter sits at 12.8v, if i turn the lights on or the thermos kick in it sits at 12v and when i'm driving it sits at around 13.8v.

I have a spare used alternator here so was wondering if anyone could tell me what I can get done to it to beef it up a bit? I'm not in the position the do the serpentine belt conversion and use an EF alternator yet so would just like to know how to better use the current one.

Oh and if your wondering what I did this afternoon I installed a monoblock amplifier running at ~1400wrms and drawing 80A current powering 2x 12" subs at a total rating of 1200wrms....... apparently my dying alternator didnt appreciate it hehe

Oh and I also noticed a new whining sound coming from the vicinity of the alternator.....

The voices in my head don't like you.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Jastel,
I realise the date of your post, but I was wondering what you did to upgrade your alternator to suit your amperage needs?
This is what I did,
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/eb2-ed-i ... 57831.html
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]