Fordmods Logo

Decent alarm mainly to protect my audio gear. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Decent alarm mainly to protect my audio gear.
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hi there, I am getting quite an expensive stereo system installed and just wondering what is a decent alarm to get that will protect it the most? I have around $700 to spend on it and would like a pager remote to alert me if the car has been broken into if possible in that budget. Also where are some good places in melbourne to go to?

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:47 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

I'm not going to recommend a brand, but i'll tell you not to worry about a pager unless it's a GSM/mobile phone type one. All the "pager" style ones i've seen (even $1,000+ models) have not transmitted very far unless out in open space with no obstructions. It's always within hearing distance so youd hear the siren even if the little remote wasn't vibrating.

My car is fitted with the normal "pager" type and wouldn't bother again, all it is is "wank factor".

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Stone wrote:
I'm not going to recommend a brand, but i'll tell you not to worry about a pager unless it's a GSM/mobile phone type one. All the "pager" style ones i've seen (even $1,000+ models) have not transmitted very far unless out in open space with no obstructions. It's always within hearing distance so youd hear the siren even if the little remote wasn't vibrating.

My car is fitted with the normal "pager" type and wouldn't bother again, all it is is "wank factor".

yeh as stone says...I wouldnt bother with a pager system for $700. Youre not gonna be getting too good alarm then as the opager function chews a fair bit of the price tag.... I have an alarm/tracking system combo in the end has a retail worth of 3Kish plus a couple of the addons...in the end I maybe woulod have done things differently but when ya want the best of alot of expense and hard work put into it ya want something out there...but back to ya original post....for $700 i'd talk to anyone who deals CAM ...there great lil units and dont hurt the hip pocket...for $700 youd get a 2pt immobiliser, siren, microwave sensor (will cause the siren to chirp whenever someone comes to close to the vehicle....but will sound the alarm if movement is detected inside the vehicle), glass breakage sensor (detects high pitch frequencies from within the vehicle produced by shattering glass), shock sensor and tilt sensor (if someone tries to tow/jack up ya car). Another brand are the Viper/Vyper (cant remeebr which one) hear good n bad on them...alot of guys on here runnem and say their great i just know one installation mob that have had a number of returns due to faulty components....but still a highly reputable brand.

Mongoose - dont touch - s**t

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]