Fordmods Logo

Driving lights - Wiring setup 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Driving lights - Wiring setup
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

Just got a set of old driving lights from the old mans cupboard, (not a bad little set... only low on power, but will do the job I want. and YES they do work!) and now I've got to wire them.

I put the wiring in the other day, but it would switch the lights on and off with the ignition, and I decided to change it so that the lights only come on with High Beam, (I'd accidentally wired it to the ignition power)

Question is, does this diagram look right, and what colour is the Headlight Power line?? I am finding the headlight line very hard to find as its buried in the front part of the car. Is there another place I can pick it up??

Also, would wiring the Switch into the High Beam line be normal? Would there be a way of wiring the switch into the High Beam's activiation line in the cabin, rahter than running a line all the way from a headlight? I tried to find this yesterday but got lost with all the different colours in this loom, (I used the Haines Manual... didn't help much)

This autoelectrics is still new to me, and I don't want to fizz my loom!

cheers.

Attachments:
Drivinglight.JPG
Drivinglight.JPG [ 13.7 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

Post subject: Re: Driving lights - Wiring setup
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

96ghia wrote:
Just got a set of old driving lights from the old mans cupboard, (not a bad little set... only low on power, but will do the job I want. and YES they do work!) and now I've got to wire them.

I put the wiring in the other day, but it would switch the lights on and off with the ignition, and I decided to change it so that the lights only come on with High Beam, (I'd accidentally wired it to the ignition power)

Question is, does this diagram look right, and what colour is the Headlight Power line?? I am finding the headlight line very hard to find as its buried in the front part of the car. Is there another place I can pick it up??

Also, would wiring the Switch into the High Beam line be normal? Would there be a way of wiring the switch into the High Beam's activiation line in the cabin, rahter than running a line all the way from a headlight? I tried to find this yesterday but got lost with all the different colours in this loom, (I used the Haines Manual... didn't help much)

This autoelectrics is still new to me, and I don't want to fizz my loom!

cheers.
Looks OK to me, if you don't need to switch them off seperately from the main high beam then just wire your pin 86 directly to the high beam bulb wiring at the light rather than running it back into the cabin. Your 10amp fuse may need to be greater depending on the lamps size, 2 x 55w is close to 10amps.
Here is a link to help you.
[url] http://www.computingunplugged.com/issue ... 01447.html
[/url]
Cheers
TW

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

why not swith 85 your ground instead of 86 positive, this way you only need to bring one wire into your interior and if it gets crushed or rubs through the only result will be your spotties will turn on insted of arching out someware.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

voids wrote:
why not swith 85 your ground instead of 86 positive, this way you only need to bring one wire into your interior and if it gets crushed or rubs through the only result will be your spotties will turn on insted of arching out someware.
bingo.....

*sigh* electrical backgrounds have a purpose in life other than to shock people..... lol

Banned

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

twason wrote:
Looks OK to me, if you don't need to switch them off seperately from the main high beam then just wire your pin 86 directly to the high beam bulb wiring at the light rather than running it back into the cabin. Your 10amp fuse may need to be greater depending on the lamps size, 2 x 55w is close to 10amps.
Here is a link to help you.
[url] http://www.computingunplugged.com/issue ... 01447.html
[/url]
Cheers
TW

I did want a seperate isolator to be able to switch off the driving lights if needed.

I've tested the 10 Amp fuse with the two lights on, (wired directly to the battery) and it seemed happy. If I want to get better lights in the future of course, I'll review the wiring and fuse.

voids wrote:
why not switch 85 your ground instead of 86 positive, this way you only need to bring one wire into your interior and if it gets crushed or rubs through the only result will be your spotties will turn on insted of arching out someware.

You mean Swap the 85 and 86 in the diagram? SO that the switch shuts off the Ground instead of the Power?

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

[quote="96ghiaI did want a seperate isolator to be able to switch off the driving lights if needed.

I've tested the 10 Amp fuse with the two lights on, (wired directly to the battery) and it seemed happy. If I want to get better lights in the future of course, I'll review the wiring and fuse.

You mean Swap the 85 and 86 in the diagram? SO that the switch shuts off the Ground instead of the Power?[/quote]
You MUST have a separate switch if you wanr it to be legal :roll:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

GTBob wrote:
You MUST have a separate switch if you wanr it to be legal :roll:

I Guessed as much

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

no you are just switching your negative insted of positive, still only use one switch but you only have to run one wire inside the car just find a good earth inside. no reson for this method to not be legal as long as your spot lights turn off with high beam which they will.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

okay ladies
firstly find if your spotties/electrical system (i forget which one it is) are/is positivly switched or negativly

then use the right diagram below

pink = positive
green = negative

Attachments:
wireneg.gif
wireneg.gif [ 24.91 KiB | Viewed 4227 times ]
wire.gif
wire.gif [ 26.11 KiB | Viewed 4242 times ]

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

These are the diagrams I've been searching for!
Thankyou!

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeh they're fkn good as...
they arnt mine
they belong to some landrover guy

and he cried last time some one posted it up..

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Well thought out diagrams a good post :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Tickford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Good post with the diagrams.

And fords are negatively switched arent they, so you should only need the green diagram, true??

Ok, now i have a question for you guys.

I do alot of day driving, and like to run with my headlights on so that i am more visible to other drivers. In the past i have run some pretty high wattage globes for night driving (i do a fair bit of that to) but in the day they get to hot, and from running all the time, i was going through a fair few bulbs. Since i put my driving lights on, i have been runnig them instead (Only 55w, aimed low) and havent gone through a single globe. What i would like is to be able to hook them up, so that they are always on, but when my low beams come on, they switch off, and when high beams are on they swicth back on. Also i would like a switch to be able to switch them off completely and also be able to switch them on completely so that in fog or really heavy rain i can switch them on with low beams for some extra light.

How would i go about that, without the need for 100 wires running through the firewall??????

Cheers

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so you want to be able to switch it on and off ALL the time...
but automatically turn off when low beams are on, but still give you the option to turn on when low beams are on...

I dont know if you could, im guessing just use one switch between batter and lights (and fuse ofcourse)
but also have a L.E.D to go on when the driving lights are on so you know they are on...
and just turhn them off when low beams are on

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

a 3 position switch (on-off-on) might be useful.
Hook up one side one way, and the other side the other way.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next