Fordmods Logo

Dual bettery isolator 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Dual bettery isolator
Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef futura

VIC, Australia

Hey I'm bout to start wiring up a battery in my boot so I can power my sound system n was wondering if anyone could help me with mounting the dual battery isolator? Just unsure of how and where it's all mounted

Post subject: Re: Dual bettery isolator
Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

As in an automatic isolator? Not a manual isolator (ie used on trucks which are left for periods of time to stop 2 ways and that flattening the battery, key/handle operated device)?

Jaycar do a nifty one IIRC

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID ... rm=KEYWORD

You hook the main battery to the main terminal and the aux battery to the aux terminal, it's rated to 100A continuous (your alternator is maybe 110A?), there would be a ground wire somewhere so it can measure voltage and that's it, not trying to find a trigger wire to turn it on when the motor starts.

You'd mount it somewhere where it it wont get wet but is hidden from view...

They make this too:

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID ... rm=KEYWORD

And it would work as a dual battery isolator in essence...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef futura

VIC, Australia

Thanks, I already have an isolator that I brought of eBay that has a digital voltmeter/switch that I was thinking about putting inside the car or something but nit sure where it will reach too. With the actual isolator I was thinking of just mounting in the engine bay near the main battery but wanted to see how other people have done it and if they had any advice.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

my dual battery isolator is a solid state relay in the cavity above the driver side rear shock absorber... My second battery runs my small amp and also my trailer winch... It's a 39AH pack... I have fused 8awg running to a big set of power diodes then into the relay and from the relay into the battery pack... Then there is 35mm running to a anderson plug where i can either plug in jumper leads or my 8000lb winch... The 8awg is a charge wire to the pack and the 35mm reduces the voltage drop between the pack and the winch, without needing to run 50 or 70 from the main battery to avoid voltage drop... Works good... All mine is detailed in my build thread... See the link in my signature...

Cheers,
tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]