Fordmods Logo

DVD/Screen combo - $$?? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

Any one know if the pioneer motorised screens clear the bump in the dash in the ELs? I am thinking of getting one but I don't want to spend a few grand and have it not fit.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:19 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

I have a Protec headunit off Ebay, and a 7" Lilliput screen.

Not brand name, but does the job well.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

phatal wrote:
Any one know if the pioneer motorised screens clear the bump in the dash in the ELs? I am thinking of getting one but I don't want to spend a few grand and have it not fit.

Speak to neo_nick and daniel, they both have pioneer screens - daniel has his in the lower din and nick has his in the top din....not a bad unit at all

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

They dont, no.
Nicko has his in the top DIN as he said with it stick out a bit; works well, looks alrite i guess.
I opted for the 2nd DIN position with storage up the top or hidden behind the screen (i use my screen rarely anyway) and have it angled towards the passenger side a bit which aloows it to sit nicely.
In my 1st car, i had it there also but it didnt angle as well; just takes a bit of fidling which ever way you go, but it will work a treat either way.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh, btw there is a pic on my gallery of it mounted in the bottom DIN position.
Another thing to consider is when they are out and mounted in the top they dont quite clear the a/c vents, this was more an issue for me; depends if you care about them or not i guess..

Good luck.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I would've liked it to go in the top din space as the XR8 is only single din. It does look pretty good in the bottom space in your pic though. What have you got in the top space (do you have a pic)? How do I get a double din? Im guessing just order a fairmont ghia or fairlane one from ford and it will go in place of mine. Does the storage compartment or whatever you have in the top din come with the double din piece?

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phatal wrote:
I would've liked it to go in the top din space as the XR8 is only single din. It does look pretty good in the bottom space in your pic though. What have you got in the top space (do you have a pic)? How do I get a double din? Im guessing just order a fairmont ghia or fairlane one from ford and it will go in place of mine. Does the storage compartment or whatever you have in the top din come with the double din piece?

The storage bit is upto you really, you could have a hole, cd/dvd storage, cup holders or whatever you can find to fit into a single DIN position; im using DVD storage slots. It is seperate from the ford radio surround which would need to be double DIN and can be found off fairmont ghia and ltd models.. fairlane ghia standard came with the single DIN, so no go there.

I haven't got a current pic of mine with screen closed however I had these old ones of my last fairlane laying around. Same setup just different car.

Hope this is of some help, but as I said in my 1st post this one was not angled to match the dash, just sat flat, did the job and no gaps or half assed job look.

Attachments:
Pic3.JPG
Pic3.JPG [ 79.55 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]
Pic2.JPG
Pic2.JPG [ 78.82 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]
Pic1.JPG
Pic1.JPG [ 88.78 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

That looks heaps nice, makes me want one even more!

Thanks for the pics, that last one has the screen closed. That storage thing is pretty cool when I get around to doing it I will look into one of those. My mate actually has one of those in his VT SS as they come standard with double din.

Cheers.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Daniel, where is your wood grain surround for the shifter? I am looking to buy another one as mine is a church version (its holy). How much and where can I pick it up from?

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

how much did that setup set you back? cheers

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Those pictures are from my old NFII Fairlane Sportsman; they didnt come with wood gear shifter surround and never bothered getting one as each one i found at wreckers was costing a mint, 250+. I guess they could charge that due to the fact ford were asking like 4-500+ for a new one lol!!!!!!!!

My screen/cd player, dvd stacker and avm (av module) all new cost me 2k, but that was a while ago now, close to 18months ago.
These were thru a guy off CAA as I didnt wish to pay retail p[rice for that stuff at the time which was well over 4k total for those few items.

Would like to get something different but thats just dreams; fact is is works well, and its already installed and paid for which i like.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

can you hook gps systems up to these?

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Most will have a GPS system add on however these usually set you back in the 1000's!
Otherwise you could maybe get portable GPS n run output into the screen, I wouldnt bother personally unless getting the one made for the system, but that sort of cash wouldnt warrant itself for me, i use my melways maybe 4x a year.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2