Fordmods Logo

Dynamat... Is there something just as good for less $$$??? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Dynamat... Is there something just as good for less $$$???
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
Stone, I still have your old Brahma 15", still kicking hard after that rebuild back in 2002 (I think?). Only wish it didn't weigh so much!!

Yeah, sorry about all that crap. I have a Brahma 12" as a door stop because the distributor can't fix a speaker properly. The tinsel leads broke and caused one of the coils to cook, they repaired it but now it rattles when in a box, no rattle when free air... Much like the 15" was. Unfortunately, Adire were the only speakers I've had problems with :(

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:54 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

I have to pull the dash out of my EL, and im going to take the black crap off the firewall in the engine bay. I want to block out as much of the engine noise as possible, i was thinking of dynamatting the firewall on the inside while the dash is out? Would that be effective at stopping it

Just got a ED fairmont as an everyday driver, and i am LOVING how quiet it is inside!! whats the best way to get this affect with my EL XR6? mainly want to kill the roadnoise and exhaust/engine noise?

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

out of curiousity what have people dne with their roofs, as I think that my biggest anoyanance, this massive sheet of tin hanging in the air, hehe.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:16 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

rainoffire wrote:
I have to pull the dash out of my EL, and im going to take the black crap off the firewall in the engine bay. I want to block out as much of the engine noise as possible, i was thinking of dynamatting the firewall on the inside while the dash is out? Would that be effective at stopping it

Just got a ED fairmont as an everyday driver, and i am LOVING how quiet it is inside!! whats the best way to get this affect with my EL XR6? mainly want to kill the roadnoise and exhaust/engine noise?

Since you're trying to block sound, you'd be better off using a sound absorbant material, rather than Dynamat, which is a vibration (resonance) absorbing material.

OZBMX wrote:
out of curiousity what have people dne with their roofs, as I think that my biggest anoyanance, this massive sheet of tin hanging in the air, hehe.

Roof lining off, Dynamat it :)

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

So dynamat also provides insulation and heat shielding? If you were to put it on as roof lining?

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

I was thinking dynamatting the firewall to reduce the heat, and resonance of it, then putting a bit of this stuff over it, and under the carpet eventually. Is this the sort of stuff that will cut the roadnoise out?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

asizzy wrote:
So dynamat also provides insulation and heat shielding? If you were to put it on as roof lining?

As far as I knew, Dynamat just deadens panels by absorbing the vibrations (resonance). I'm a bit skeptical on the heat blocking claims on their website. Also, it's not really a road noise blocker/absorber.

I'd put it on the roof to reduce the roof from resonating and hopefully the added weight would reduce the flexing too. So I guess it's worth a try and it might actually keep your car cooler, but I'd be surprised :)

rainoffire wrote:
I was thinking dynamatting the firewall to reduce the heat, and resonance of it, then putting a bit of this stuff over it, and under the carpet eventually. Is this the sort of stuff that will cut the roadnoise out?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD

Do you hear your firewall resonate? I've never heard my firewall resonate. There's no speakers mounted in it and it's fairly well reinforced already.

Yeah, that stuff will block noise.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2