Fordmods Logo

EF 6x9 Placement in a wagon, weird but wonderful! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EF 6x9 Placement in a wagon, weird but wonderful!
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Shaggin

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I have a 95 EF Shaggin, total cheese but man it's fun and practicable. Just thought you might like to know, I have recently installed a pair of Kenwood 6x9's in the two rear doors, moving the rear speakers from the tailgate to the passengers feet.

They fit snugly, no problems with the window or its wiringn no problems with it touching the seat or floor rails or passengers!. I have mounted them on some small carpet covered spacers and they look at treat.

The best part, although they are not in a direct line with the ears, they sound great. The Kenwood 6in I have mounted in the usual spot in the front doors work well enough to give me clarity.

Has anyone else seen this before?

So here's this bum waving a knife like he's the leader of some knife parade...

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Nope. The rear speakers in my wagon have never been an issue, I turn the stereo off when the dogs in the back and he's the only thing or person that usually goes in the back.
I did end up replacing them when the original stocko speakers fell apart but.

So got any pictures of your handy work?

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

What? Ol mate doesn't get to rock along with you when he's in the car ! Haha, I didn't really have a problem with the one's in the tailgate (apart from the sad a*** sound quality coming from the stockies) but I wanted to put a sub in just behind the rear seats. I thought having a sub in front of the 6x9's would be a bad thing?!?! That was my logic anyway.

I don't have pics yet, but I'll take a few and post them up soon :)

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

The Commodore and subsequently commodore wagons had this, and it sounds pretty damn alright, good work shifting them mate! Anticipating pictures of the work!

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

nah i don't think that the bass of the sub and that does any good for the dogs ears so i just turn the whole lot off off if it's a long trip fade all to the front speakers.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:34 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 17 images

QLD, Australia

I put my 6x9s in the tailgate and my 2x12s face the rear so the bass bounces of the rear screen.I have no bass coming out of the 6x9 and i also mounted a set of tweeters above the rear seat belts.I chose not to put anything in the rear doors because you get best sound when speakers are aimed at the occupants.6x9 are a good alround speaker but if you putting a sub in a set of componants or two ways would suit better

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Cheers andrewts, it took a bit of time rewiring everything with good cable and feeding it with the looms into the doors, but well worth it. It's not the most pretty thing yet as I haven't designed some pods, they are on spacers to see how it sounded, and i like it! So, next pods... know anyone who can build em for me? Pics coming soon!

nlbxr6 - I like the 6x9 with the bass cut out, so its a strong mid range, do you think some componenets would do the job? I guess I haven't gotten myself up to speed on the newer kit thats out these days! I agree totally on the aiming of the speakers though.

twr7cx - I'm glad to see you look after your best mate, some blokes I know just blast them regardless.... come to think of it.. they are a little deaf these days haha

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

So, next pods... know anyone who can build em for me? Pics coming soon!

have a look in my gallery I made my front door pods I started with dna pods to suit a 6 and tweeter and screwed them to 16mm mdf and glassed on a 4 inch spacer then finished with body filler and covered in vinyl took me about about 4 hrs each one

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:38 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Nice job, I'm sad to say but mine was just a screw and mount job. Nothing as flashy as that! I'll have to pull my sleeves up now, I have something to compare to haha. Is the whole mould and shape from the glass work?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

ozzie99 wrote:
Nice job, I'm sad to say but mine was just a screw and mount job. Nothing as flashy as that! I'll have to pull my sleeves up now, I have something to compare to haha. Is the whole mould and shape from the glass work?

The dna pods are glass so I positioned them and screwed them onto the base I had to cut a section out then I cut a hole for the 4 out of 2mm mdf and cut the mdf about 15 mm biger than the hole then screwed it with spacers at the angle I wanted to the base and screwed some offcuts to the base to give me the rough shape then glassed it all together and finished it off with body filler

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

That's a lot of work, nicely done. :D How do you find the weight? I know my 6x9's are fairly heavy on those old door skins.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

ozzie99 wrote:
That's a lot of work, nicely done. :D How do you find the weight? I know my 6x9's are fairly heavy on those old door skins.

put em on the scales
sorry its friday arvo
I screwed the pods to the trim from behind then screwed them to the door once the trim was fitted this way the trim dont vibrate

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]